Page 1 of 4 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2005, 9:37 am

What classes are you taking this new semester and are you happy/sad you are taking them?

I am taking:

1. Elementary German, Level II
2. Drawing I
3. Physiological Psychology
4. Advanced Writing Workshop: Poetry

I am very excited about all of these classes but disappointed that I have to start again from the bottom in art because I haven't taken any art classes in college yet and I had no portfolio I could present to apply for skipping to a higher level class. :(

German is as expected. Physiological Psychology is awesome and I am trying to keep from being pedantic in class (that's the professor's job) and we already have an assigned 12-15 page paper which I am very excited about (yes, I said "excited"). With my poetry class, there is a considerable more amount of work than I had anticipated-- we have to read four books this semester and that's not including the poetry books we have to read as well, plus writing poetry of course. :( I hope it doesn't take away from the research I want to be doing for my paper...

My proposal for the paper:

To explore the similarities and differences between Schizophrenia Spectrum Disorders and Autistic Spectrum Disorders (more specifically Autistic Disorder and Asperger's Disorder) from a biopsychological, neurodevelopmental perspective.

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

Astarael
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2005, 9:46 am

Oh that sounds interesting! Only to read for me though, I'm not too keen on researching that kind of stuff :oops: .I'm still at high school, but I'm doing: English Literature, Ancient History, Biology, Physics, Discrete Maths & Applicable Maths. (that'll probably only make sense to people having done/doing their TEE, but I felt like contributing even if it was somewhat pointless).
I don't have much to say about each subject.. Except that I hate maths... specifically Applicable, discrete is easy so I don't need to worry as much. Lit is great coz I love poetry and reading :) Physics is made bearable by the fact that some day I would love to study Quantum physics... has anyone got any good sites or anything on Quantum physics while I mention it? I'd love to read up more on it.
Anyway, I hope your paper and all the reading you need to do goes well Sophist!

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2005, 10:02 am

I wish I had had the opportunity to take a Physics class in high school. See, because I was in the higher level math in 8th grade and got A's in science, I tested ahead along with other students who were entering my particular high school to go into Biology. The students who were in a lower math and didn't do so well in science were forced to enroll in Physics.

It's really odd but I would have thought Physics the harder class which would require better math and science skills. Go figure.

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

Astarael
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2005, 10:25 am

As would I, for physics you need good maths & science skills, but you can get away with Biology have neither of those :? Especially since the maths of Physics includes all the triginometry laws and such. Biology is more wrote learning type stuff.

Bec
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2005, 12:42 pm

Anthropology
English 101
Math 95

I'm happy, I guess. I'm looking forward to Anthropology and English, but I hate Math. I have to take it, though.

Prometheus
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2005, 12:57 pm

Socialogy 1010 (I've heard horror stories about different socialogy teachers. . . . . .hmmm!)

English 1010 (after failing the final after acing the regular class. . .arghh!)

PE Tennis for beginners (Really looking forward to this one)

PE Stregth development (weightlifting. . . . .woohoo!)

Drawing II (When I make circles, I need to make more oranges and less eggs! Another little struggle for me, but not impassable!)

mikibacsi1124
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2005, 1:35 pm

This semester at Rutgers University, I'm taking two classes in my major (journalism):
- Advanced TV Reporting
- Investigative Reporting

Then I'm taking:
- Basic Acting 2 (I took the first part because I figured it would help with my broadcasting career, and it also turned out to be fun, although I felt I got a lower grade than I deserved)
- Computer Science 111 (mostly because it's 4 credits and because I previously took CS110)

Anna
Toucan
Toucan

27 Aug 2005, 2:09 pm

Sophist wrote:
[size=17]What classes are you taking this new semester and are you happy/sad you are taking them?

I'm taking macroeconomics, finite math, c programming and biology (but I'm thinking of dropping the biology because it's all day on friday and that may be too much. I don't want to get overloaded.)

I'm studying Cognitive Science (eventually). Right now I'm just taking basic classes to learn more while I get my residency.

sparkplugloy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Aug 2005, 3:50 pm

I will take :
- CIMP : Chemistry - Computers - Mathematics - Physics
- Information
- A2P2 (to know what it is like to work in a laboratory/observatory)
- Introduction to Astronomy

I would be interested to read your paper about ASD's.

I am excited about this semester because I will be an astrophysics major but I will move to a new town to study in this technology university and be far from home - and my dog ! - until the vacations.

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2005, 4:04 pm

sparkplugloy wrote:
I would be interested to read your paper about ASD's.

Sure. But it'll be awhile before it's finished. I could maybe post it on here but it will be REALLY long (like I said, 12-15 pages). Or I could email a copy to you.

Namiko
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2005, 4:14 pm

My classes:
* AP Chemistry, which is an intro level college class
* English (British lit, to be exact)
* Gov/Economics
* Intro to Psychology
* Religion
* Web Page Design, Level One

It should be an interesting year. Took physics last year and really loved it. :)

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2005, 5:07 pm

I went to the library today to try and find the four books I have to read for my Advanced Poetry class this semester and they had NONE of them at that branch. Then when I tried to get a new library card since two of those books were located at other branches, I found out I had two books I had never returned from like about 5 years ago. I have no idea where they are and the fee for these two books is over $75. Yeah right like I'd pay $75 for two ruddy books.

Now I have to ask my professor to lend me the books instead.
:?

newchum
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2005, 5:52 pm

My university subjects this semester are macroeconomics, finanical accounting a, foundations of management and IT fundamentals. All are compulsory to my course and major.

earthmonkey
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Aug 2005, 6:00 pm

I, too, am interested in physics, but our school doesn't let people take physics until they have completed Algebra II (so I can take it next year). That sucks about the library fines, though. I hope you don't have trouble in borrowing the books from your professor.

As for me, I'm taking:

Literature and Composition 2 Honors
Chemistry
AP European History
Beginning Taekwondo
Algebra II/Trigonometry
French II
Whodunnit (writing class)
World Poetry (writing class)
Kurt Vonnegut (writing class)
Speculative Fiction (writing class)

Namiko, you're in high school, correct? Your school has religion, psychology, and web page design classes?

The elective I will take during my senior year will probably be either philosophy, mass media, acting technique I, graphic design, or photography. I'm not sure which one, yet.

--G. K. Chesterton, The Aristocrat

Serissa
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2005, 7:12 pm

Elementary French I (THIS IS A BETTER CHOICE THAN SPANISH AS I TOOK 2.5 YEARS OF FRENCH IN HIGH SCHOOL so if you want me to take Spanish because "it's easier" you can go suck an egg)
Research Methods in Psychology
Psychology of Personality
Psychology of Group Behavior

and, in some kind of raspberry blown at me by fate (as if getting a boyfriend wasn't enough), this was what fit best with the remaining time in my schedule and potential requirement fullments:

Topics: Positive Psychology

BTW I am in my junior year of college.

Yupa
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2005, 7:53 pm

This semester:
Drawing & Painting I
Asian History(This quarter)/Health & Life Skills I(Next Quarter)
Algebra 1A
Drama I

Next semester:
English II
World Geography
Biology I
Algebra IB

Of course, I'm moving to a new town in a bit, so my schedule is likely to change.