Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

nebula
Raven
Raven

18 Dec 2007, 9:26 pm

When I was around 3 years of age I had to have a major heart operation, and that was around 27 years ago now. I have been really lucky so far but currently have a leaky pulmonary heart valve which is being looked at.

Anyway I am currently being checked by the medical profession for my own self diagnosis of autism, the first general psyc had apparently checked and researched to see if my previous heart condition which is called Fallot's tetralogy could have caused autism. Well a few minutes ago I googled it with the word autism and to my surprise there were a few examples of idiopathic autism connected with having the heart problem.

Well anyway I am off to London soon to see a professional but it angers me to think that not only could I have been physically disabled but also have autism as well. It angers me not because I have the problems but that society would quite happily watch me wither away because thats what will happen eventually If I don't get the support I deserve.

I bet your thinking I am wrong to be feeling anger but for most of my life I have been treated like a nobody, my family patronized me, the school used to tell me I was off another planet and even once two teachers watched over me in an office and stared at me without word until I started to sway in pure paranoid anxiety and then the professionals believe its because I was looked after well as a kid and I never got to develop the skills which is very wrong.

Anyway I have come out of it all with some great artistic skills and an imagination that don't work like most peoples so thats one positive i guess. Anyway the whole reason I wrote that is because I was wondering if anyone else may think they could have autism because of an operation. I am not sure but it may because of lack of oxygen supply through having operations back in the day or it may even be a faulty gene that seems to be cropping up my family, which is an x chromosome issue in which my brother actually died of it at the age of 21 with a rare disease called X-linked lymphoproliferative disease or Duncan's disease.

Anyway if this thread as proven to be just me letting off a bit of steam then so be it, if you have found it off interest then thats a bonus. And if you can see any similarities with yourself with having an operation then please let me know.

asplanet
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2007, 9:44 pm

Here is a big Image hug to let you know your not alone, and that many of us grew up feeling like the outsider and totally misunderstood.

Our autistic traits are part of who we are, they are not caused by anything.

Never taken any medication or had any operations like many others. But Iam very happy and proud to be an aspie, and know that I'm lucky to be a unique individual and share traits which has been behind some of the greatest human achievements to date.

Read my story if you get time, web site details below may help you understand. Your lucky to find out now, I'm in my 40s and only found out 6 months ago and it really is the best thing that has ever happen to me....

And so much support now and great forums like this one, where all your questions will be answers :wink: and more............

nebula
Raven
Raven

18 Dec 2007, 9:48 pm

thanx for hug mate, and they say that us lot don't have any empathy. anyway I look forward to reading your website information its always good to know we not alone.

asplanet
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2007, 9:58 pm

The "mate" bit made me smile, remines we where I am from. May live in NZ but was born near to the east end London.

nebula
Raven
Raven

18 Dec 2007, 10:09 pm

ah but i guess that makes u lucky in a sense, just a few words to remind you. chap, yob, geezer, dude, get off with, chav, totty, if u can think of any more let us know, its late over here so I am a bit tired to think up any. Anyway the plot thickens as we speak, looks like I could suffer from fragile x syndrome lol thats almost identical to Asperger's. I shouldn't research as well really, ignorance is bliss at times.

Anyway yo! mate.

Nebs

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2007, 11:16 pm

Autism is relatively common as a result of the same traits that cause other things.

For example, I have a friend who is autistic because her mother had rubella when she was pregnant with her. She also has a number of physical things going on. The physical things didn't cause the autism, they were just caused by the same thing autism was caused by in her case.

There are a lot of genetic things that work the same way, and I bet that could be true of a genetic thing causing both a heart condition and autism, without the heart condition (or the operation) causing autism.