Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

aspergian_mutant
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2005, 2:24 pm

I used to be afraid of heights, but when I was around 12 years old I forced my self to climb to a great hight on this huge rock cliff side, not looking down till I reached the top, To my disarray I found that the sandstone I carved steps into to climb up crushed under my weight as I went up, the only way down was to jump to another rock 15 feet down and at least 6 feet away from the one I was on, I eventually had to jump with no other options open to me, if I missed it was another good 80+ foot drop.
after that I no longer had a fear of heights.

magic
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2005, 3:05 pm

I used to have a rather severe fear of heights in the past (even standing on a ladder was a problem). But I also happened to love mountains, and sometimes there was no other way to climb up the mountain than to literally climb (half mile high drops were not uncommon). One day the fear suddenly disappeared after I walked through a particularly frightening place.

When I was younger I was afraid of deep water (such that I couldn't stand on the bottom). I haven't swum for many years, so I'm not sure what's the situation is now. The problem I have with water is that I cannot swim with glasses on, and without glasses I don't see much and feel insecure.

I don't suffer from claustrophobia.

Namiko
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2005, 7:21 pm

Magic, if you swim a lot, they have prescription goggles for people who have low vision. A friend of mine uses them during swim practice so that she can see the pace clock. ;)

Oh, I am also afraid of jelly fish. I don't know why, but they really creep me out. 8O

nirrti_rachelle
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2005, 9:01 pm

hale_bopp wrote:
Quote:
Going down steps that are really steep- like on mountains give me the sh*ts, because of a fear of slipping.

Then you would hate the two escalators in the concourse at Hartsfield International Airport in Atlanta. I swear those things must have been 80ft tall, almost pure vertical and going down, I held on to the rails for dear life.

Litguy
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2005, 9:09 pm

nirrti_rachelle wrote:
hale_bopp wrote:
Quote:
Going down steps that are really steep- like on mountains give me the sh*ts, because of a fear of slipping.

Then you would hate the two escalators in the concourse at Hartsfield International Airport in Atlanta. I swear those things must have been 80ft tall, almost pure vertical and going down, I held on to the rails for dear life.
Remind me not to go there. I'd still be on the top level.