Do you find yourself emotionally either Switched ON or OFF?

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Ipunes
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 Dec 2007, 5:52 pm

For instance:

Socially Absent
In a social situation, you may make No effort to read other peoples emotions or to even think about people or yourself. Your like a vegetable socially and you dont even feel emotional, just distant and with your thoughts manifesting themselves on something that doesnty strain on your emotions.
People say your in a dreamworld, your looking into space.
Its like a coping mechanism for stressful social situations.

Socially Aware
in a social situation, you are aware of the people around you, paranoid, feeling unconnected to them and in a different state of emotion to the rest of the group.

(this is from my own personal experience of being in social situations).

Last edited by Ipunes on 20 Dec 2007, 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aoife
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 Dec 2007, 6:00 pm

Umm...if I'm in the center of attention, it would be the latter. I'm never not paranoid if people are looking at me.

If I'm in a room with other people (not too close to them) and we are all not speaking and facing the same direction (e.g., a movie theater), I'm turned off and have no paranoia.

Jayutimestwo

20 Dec 2007, 6:21 pm

Yes, that's it exactly. Either I don't care at all and I'm staring into space hardly even aware of other people or I'm completely engaged. There's no halfway.

Ipunes

20 Dec 2007, 6:32 pm

yes, if im switched off staring into space and not paranoid, Its hard to stay like that whilst making appropriate conversation and I worry people will think im being rude or stuck up.

21 Dec 2007, 3:13 am

Yes I do. Sometimes I feel nothing at all inside of me and other times I do. I hardly had any emotions when I was living with my last boyfriend.

corroonb
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2007, 3:18 am

I am mostly pretty emotionless. I sometimes have "flattened effect", a blank expression in other words. I suspected I might be schizoid for a while but I get far too excited by my special interests. I like being like this, I rarely feel irrational and I don't like strong emotions in other people. It makes me a little nauseous.

ghostgurl
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2007, 3:20 am

It's kind of like that, although when I'm socially absent I'm usally thinking. I don't think there ever is a time where I'm not thinking actually, and it's often about myself or some interest.

I used to be more aware about other people and nervous about what they were thinking of me, but not so much anymore. I much prefer being socially absent to aware.

I do still feel uncomfortable at times, but instead of feeling anxious, I've resorted to stimming like bouncing my foot. I much prefer that too.