King Kong (Peter Jackson remake) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Sonny the Robot (I, Robot) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 28

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2007, 4:33 pm

ouinon wrote:
i haven't seen Pirates III so don't know Davy Jones, but i did not like gollum. The portrait in the books is so powerful and subtle though that i don't think any film version could have done it for me, but a real person might have worked better! My main problem with him in the film WAS that he was CG. :( :lol: He's supposed to be the shrivelled remains of a hobbit, not some other species entirely, which is what CG'ing him suggests.
I thought King Kong was perfectly done, but was too perfect to touch me.
Beowulf just looks/feels like World of Warcraft, and seems to me a sad waste of good actors!

So i've voted Ross, because I was blown away by that film, and found her very moving, and beautiful, and i loved the sense of drawing, of line, in it. And i love drawing faces. So it was heaven to watch. Thank you for reminding me of the film.

Loathed the Dobby character; wanted to boot him off the surface of the planet he was so annoying. :lol:

Possible addition: I, Robot. Is the robot CG? Was quite a good character. Like cross between Jeeves, ET, and Tarzan. :)

8)

Hmm, good point. I'll put down....is it Sonny? Yeah, Sonny.

On sabbatical...

lau
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2007, 7:01 pm

AH, Quatermass. Hoist by your own petard, in a sense.

I might have thought longer, but you forced my bias, by your posting above: http://www.wrongplanet.net/postp1099102.html#1099102.

A pity it can't fit into your constraints (as I doubt there's more than a tiny bit of CG involved), but I always liked Andrew (Robin Williams) in Bicentennial Man

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2007, 7:40 pm

Sorry. Andrew is done through prosthetics rather than CGI. There are some sequences involving CGI, I'll admit.

So, it's still Gollum in the lead, followed by Davy Jones, Aki Ross, and Dobby being the rear marker.

On sabbatical...

ping-machine
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2008, 4:50 am

Quatermass wrote:
Not counting Shrek, Toy Story, Antz, Cars, etc.

But that makes it boring.

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2008, 4:51 am

ping-machine wrote:
Quatermass wrote:
Not counting Shrek, Toy Story, Antz, Cars, etc.

But that makes it boring.

:P

On sabbatical...

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

02 Jan 2008, 5:55 am

Part III of Lord of Rings was on tv the other evening and so i gave it a go, whereas hadn't bothered to see it at cinema after being disappointed by Part II.
And was so bored that switched off after about 25 minutes of excruciating soft focus gumph.

Best bits were Gollum BEFORE transforming into a CGI. If they had kept Gollum as he is acted by Serkis in the latter dreadful stages of his degeneration etc before getting CGI'd, then i might have found him interesting to watch. He was truly distressing and repulsive. But the CGI Gollum character is flat, two dimensional, digital, obvious, caricatural, and most seriously, simply BORING to watch.

To me he is one of the worst of all the CGI characters in the poll. A major failure. :( I suspect that the people who like the character had/have not read the books, and have no idea of how feeble a representation this CGI is. :(

8)

twoshots
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2008, 10:43 pm

ouinon wrote:
Part III of Lord of Rings was on tv the other evening and so i gave it a go, whereas hadn't bothered to see it at cinema after being disappointed by Part II.
And was so bored that switched off after about 25 minutes of excruciating soft focus gumph.

Best bits were Gollum BEFORE transforming into a CGI. If they had kept Gollum as he is acted by Serkis in the latter dreadful stages of his degeneration etc before getting CGI'd, then i might have found him interesting to watch. He was truly distressing and repulsive. But the CGI Gollum character is flat, two dimensional, digital, obvious, caricatural, and most seriously, simply BORING to watch.

To me he is one of the worst of all the CGI characters in the poll. A major failure. :( I suspect that the people who like the character had/have not read the books, and have no idea of how feeble a representation this CGI is. :(

8)

Dude, we must have been watching different movies. Gollum was a techno marvel. His melodramatic caricaturization was all too in keeping with PJ's direction style, which I don't really like, and maybe he'd a been better if he were live action, but whatever yo...

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

03 Jan 2008, 4:01 am

twoshots wrote:
Dude, we must have been watching different movies. Gollum was a techno marvel. His melodramatic caricaturization was all too in keeping with PJ's direction style, which I don't really like, and maybe he'd a been better if he were live action, but whatever yo...

Re: technical marvel, maybe it was; i don't know much about the limits involved etc. I suppose i'm saying gollum in cgi was much less convincing and moving than gollum in serkis original. which rather makes the cgi'ing an unnecessary and damaging "marvel" than anything else.
Re; Jackson; i agree; i dislike his direction style increasingly, in fact when i think about it i've never liked it. ( except in King Kong, where it sort of matched the material!) . And Part III LoR was abysmally bad. But Serkis in the flesh was in my opinion more effective than in cgi, however marvellous the technology. That's all. :)

Oh yes; i realised who the best gollum version in film is.... : The Penguin, by Burton and Danny de Vito. THAT'S Gollum!!

8)

lau
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2008, 5:22 pm

Tolkein makes it clear in the books that Gollum is no longer at all the same creature as Sméagol, the hobbit that he started out as, 600 years before. It would have been wildly inappropriate to have portrayed him as anything physically remotely similar.

I totally agree about the third film, where the thinnest book was padded out to the longest film, with spectacular battle scenes. Ho hum. It made the film pretty, but rather went off track versus the book. Still, having a film and book both work is pretty unusual.

brfandan
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Jan 2008, 10:39 pm

gollum gets my vote, Andy Serkis' preformance was fantastic

Berserker
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2008, 9:58 pm

I haven't heard of half those characters...

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2008, 12:34 pm

1.} Gollum
2.} Davy Jones
3.} King Kong/Sonny the Robot

jamesohgoodie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2008, 9:34 am

Gollum by a WIIIIDE margin. because Gollum actually EMOTES. when i first saw the films he blended so seamlessly i had to remind myself that he was CGI. and this was on celluoid!

but seriously, Andy Serkis' performace of Gollum actually holds up without the CGI. the CGI just happened to make it better, which I think is the right way to go.

NEVER NORMAL - Saving the World Between Sketchbooks
nevernormal.net