Ladies and gentlemen... the WrongPlanet writing showcase

Page 49 of 51 [ 803 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51  Next

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2020, 8:24 pm

eyelessshiver wrote:
That's great news, congrats! I'd be happy if that many people read my work...but I don't follow through enough. Below is a long poem in progress. I started it a few months ago and wrote what's there in a couple sittings. I figured I'd work on it more than I have, but this is often how I am, I tend to work in bursts, and sometimes I don't finish things.

-------------------------

through the mind of time

walking in the rain
looking at wet trees falling
water on stone
colored by sun
and moods from dreams
a moment standing still
a drop of water suspended
in the air
space-time curved and spiraling

we can’t remember the days
lost never to be saved
the same memories turned like a key
to unlock a dimly lit room
gray outline of a pane window
to someplace new and enveloped

in blurred light and movement
outside the ashen clouds and fog
morphing and swirling like liquid
the candle wax of time
the sun’s burning wick dying

I am standing at the edge
of a chasm vast and enigmatic
its soul like the blank face
of a clock timeless and forgotten
you are standing at the edge

of the future past present
years changed unspoken
inside the abyss of an eye
beside the prism broken
of recollection awaiting

the time place feeling that never
was or will be the phantom
limbs mind body pain
enduring whispers from voices
invisible and inimitable curses

seeing through this fractured
I cannot escape its distortions
reflective we peer across
the landscape of our origin

the days when I could hold a vortex
mountains oceans planets ephemeral
like pages written in dead
languages by immortals observing

the paradoxes of nature
echoed improvisations forever held in stasis
the meditations of a black hole

why we avoid looking within ourselves
pulled by mirrors and reflections
away from our own atmosphere

the mist is heavy and the air is thin here
where I walk the rim of an endless eclipse
see the cycles and chaos
of life energy light disintegrate

and begin in an evening of glances
and embraces during an era
when the dimensions of our emotions
coalesced like silhouettes
beneath vaulted chambers

I can see now that you have lost
everything you were within the lies
wrought from life’s empty promises

yet in this inferno of deception and torn out pages
of your idea about what would have been
you are reborn like a necromancer’s puppet

gifted the second chance to walk the earth
with the wisdom that a deadened soul
provides the body it inhabits

a soul deadened but not dead
a spirit dimmed but still alight
with a flame that burns bright

they say hell is fire
and you were born of suffering

Thanks, I appreciate it.
I like your poem. I must admit, I'm more of a fiction guy than the writer of verse. I took a couple poetry workshops in college, where everything I wrote came out very prosey.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2020, 8:46 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
I took a couple poetry workshops in college, where everything I wrote came out very prosey.

I'm not sure that's a bad thing, so long as it still works as a poem as well.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

eyelessshiver
Toucan
Toucan

09 Aug 2020, 10:07 pm

Thanks. I've written some fiction as well. Ultimately I think it was laziness that led me to pursue poetry as an area of focus. Prose is harder, because there are more words. Similarly, it's harder to get people to read fiction. I had a little novella I was writing at one point, kind of sci-fi cyberpunk or something, and it just seemed like people weren't reading it (who I would share it with). Give them a poem or two, and it doesn't take long to read, it's less commitment.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2020, 11:54 pm

eyelessshiver wrote:
Thanks. I've written some fiction as well. Ultimately I think it was laziness that led me to pursue poetry as an area of focus. Prose is harder, because there are more words. Similarly, it's harder to get people to read fiction. I had a little novella I was writing at one point, kind of sci-fi cyberpunk or something, and it just seemed like people weren't reading it (who I would share it with). Give them a poem or two, and it doesn't take long to read, it's less commitment.

As a fiction writer, I hope you one day pick that novella back up.

eyelessshiver
Toucan
Toucan

10 Aug 2020, 11:44 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
eyelessshiver wrote:

Thanks. I do appreciate the encouragement. I think novel is more accurate, as that was my hope for it. The length I brought it to I think was about novella-ish, but I envisioned it to be much longer. I started out strong with a lot of inspiration, and then I started to lose steam. I know I have a book in me, though. I've also kind of toyed with the idea of writing something semi-autobiographical/non-fiction, about my struggles with mental illness etc. Well, I've written articles, or chapters or something...but it's hard for me to see the big picture and follow through on it. Maybe shorter works is the way to go for me, that way I don't risk never finishing, but the epic/grand scale appeals to me.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2020, 2:26 pm

eyelessshiver wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
eyelessshiver wrote:

Thanks. I do appreciate the encouragement. I think novel is more accurate, as that was my hope for it. The length I brought it to I think was about novella-ish, but I envisioned it to be much longer. I started out strong with a lot of inspiration, and then I started to lose steam. I know I have a book in me, though. I've also kind of toyed with the idea of writing something semi-autobiographical/non-fiction, about my struggles with mental illness etc. Well, I've written articles, or chapters or something...but it's hard for me to see the big picture and follow through on it. Maybe shorter works is the way to go for me, that way I don't risk never finishing, but the epic/grand scale appeals to me.

I tend to write short stories, myself, though I've had one novella published, and another on its way.
Have you considered writing out an outline for your fiction, to give yourself an idea where you're going? Admittedly, I don't use outlines myself, but other writers I know find them invaluable.

eyelessshiver
Toucan
Toucan

10 Aug 2020, 2:53 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
eyelessshiver wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
eyelessshiver wrote:

I tend to write short stories, myself, though I've had one novella published, and another on its way.
Have you considered writing out an outline for your fiction, to give yourself an idea where you're going? Admittedly, I don't use outlines myself, but other writers I know find them invaluable.

An outline is a good idea. I think I just struggle with fiction in general. I will tend to get way ahead of myself or make things way too complicated. I wrote several short stories as part of classes in college, and I can barely remember what the stories were even about. I won a short story contest in high school which had a fairly simple plot. The gist of it was a guy planned to kill himself, so he asked a cab driver to drive him out into the desert so he could do it there.

They made conversation etc during the drive and the man confided in the driver about his intentions. Then finally once they made it out there, the cab driver pulled a gun on him, and said he'd make it much easier for him, and the guy pleaded for his life...I guess this shocked him into wanting to continue with his life, so he asked to be taken home. It was very tersely written. That was it.

I tend to kind of get lost in what I create. That's how it was with this last novel project. I do think I'll think about an outline if I decide to continue in the future, though. Maybe sometimes simpler is better. The plot can be simple I guess and the story can still be successful, it's all about the execution...which can be more complex if desired.

Dvdz
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Oct 2020, 9:39 pm

Woo hoo! I've got a new book coming out on 28th Nov 2020.

Ebook available for preorder: https://books2read.com/SamuraiBarberVersusNinjaHairstylist
Paperback hopefully available on 28th Nov 2020 also.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2020, 9:57 pm

Dvdz wrote:
Woo hoo! I've got a new book coming out on 28th Nov 2020.

Ebook available for preorder: https://books2read.com/SamuraiBarberVersusNinjaHairstylist
Paperback hopefully available on 28th Nov 2020 also.

Hoo! Hoo! Congratulations!

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2020, 1:29 am

https://www.amazon.com/Youre-Always-Me- ... oks&sr=1-1

In paperback now, and with a whole new cover.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2020, 5:49 pm

At the regular Saturday morning meetings our local creative writers group does a 20 minute timed writing exercise to provided prompts, which can range from situations, to lists of things, and other variations.
Writing can be prose or poetry.
I'm better with prose.
Of course the idea how to finish this prompt story came at lunch an hour after group was over!

So, here it is:

November 7 prompts:

1. pirate captain obsessed with mythical treasure

2. thriller witness murder but no evidence that murder took place

3. romance where couple pretends to be dating in order to win reality show

4. one character needs to betray other but isn't sure they can do it

5. space adventure characters visit alien marketplace

------------------------

The top few layers of a salted ham high pile of charts covering the navigator's table slid as the ship's cat landed upon them.

“Aye Barnacle, ya wouldn't happen to know the course to The Promised Land would ya?”

Barnacle gave a soft meow as he rubbed his flank along the captain's offered hand.

“Perhaps. Perhaps. But yea, they didn't name that legendary atoll the promised land for nothing.”

Barnacle meowed again, sat, lifted a leg, trapped his waving tail with it, then proceeded to lick the tip of that tail.

“Ya may be on to something mate. Perhaps we're looking at the wrong end of the tradewinds and the atoll be not here but on the other side of this sea. Perhaps the maps are wrong. Of course the maps are wrong. Wouldn't want to make such a thing so easy any landlubber could take a mind and go find it.”

Barnacle meowed again and rolled over, showing the white pattern on his chest; against his black fur it bore a striking resemblance to the fabled jolly roger.

“Well I'm not going to just roll over and die, we will find that, we owe it to Ebeneezer McKindless to find his inheritance before the blasted English do. He didn't name that atoll The Promised Land for no reason and he sure as the south winds in summer didn't promise it to the English crown.”

Barnacle coughed, rolled upright, stood, then coughed again.

“Oh, Barnacle! Don't you be leaving your loathsome hairballs on my maps! Scat! Scram! Off the table!”

Just as the captain was reaching to remove Barnacle from the chart table up came the hairball.

“Well I'll be … ”

The captain went around to the table's opposite corner, leafed through stacked maps and documents, pulled one out, then stood with it at arm's length.

“Well I'll be, it does, it truly does. Yer loathsome hairball actually matches the shape of The Promised Land atoll. Now move your carcass so's I can read which map this is!”

-----------------------------------

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2021, 6:52 pm

I’m working on a story about an alien named Satellite who is traveling the universe with her construction paper robots to rescue her cat from a evil death metal goat.

-Down, The Birthday Massacre

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2021, 9:36 pm

I mailed my script called Convulsions to the US Copyright Office earlier today!

It should arrive in DC by next Monday!

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2021, 10:12 pm

AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
I mailed my script called Convulsions to the US Copyright Office earlier today!

It should arrive in DC by next Monday!

Huzzahs!

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2021, 6:03 pm

I will mail my script for Pieces of Truth later this week to the US Copyright Office!

Like my script for Convulsions, it should be processed within one week.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2021, 6:22 pm

AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
I will mail my script for Pieces of Truth later this week to the US Copyright Office!

Like my script for Convulsions, it should be processed within one week.

Huzzahs!