Yes. 53%  53%  [ 47 ]
Some days I feel gifted. 33%  33%  [ 29 ]
No. 14%  14%  [ 12 ]
Total votes : 88

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2007, 8:16 pm

Yes, technically I am "highly gifted" (over 3 standard deviations above the mean) according to my IQ score. Plus I've topped out on pretty much every verbal test I've ever been given. But I have a mild nonverbal learning disability, so my skills are very uneven.

Last edited by LostInSpace on 23 Dec 2007, 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2007, 8:18 pm

marvolutional....And this was your first post?

Curious

I suspect you shall be spanked.

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2007, 8:23 pm

LabPet wrote:
Oh, I am not 'deluded,' (you spelled the word wrong, btw - in a most amusing way).

So *that's* what that word was supposed to be. Thanks for the clarification.

vessel
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

23 Dec 2007, 9:56 pm

Despite having a natural fear of testing, the last time I took an IQ test I was well above genius. I also took some state-affiliated, creative thinking tests and I did extraordinarily well. I'm not bragging, but to be honest I think it's strange since I hate testing, and have never done well on them my whole life.

I'm not in the least bit logical, so the IQ thing would probably be hard to replicate. The creative thing was easy, since I was writing a lot at the time and felt sure of myself. I like to solve creative problems, and it is definately a passion.

Panzyo
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Dec 2007, 1:33 am

75% of 37 is 27.75, isn't it? My calculator agrees. Maybe it's just me, but can one identify with 3/4 of a specified trait? Why not just say that a gifted person would identify with 27 to 28 of the traits instead of using a percentage? I guess I'm more curious about that than whether or not I'm gifted.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2007, 2:15 am

OK, I DID test as gifted, but this test came up a bit different:

Me as a kid 33/37=89.19 (gifted)
Me now 27/37=72.97 (not gifted)

Still, some of the things are stereotypes, and others argue against giftedness.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2007, 2:17 am

autodidact wrote:
SoccerFreak wrote:
I cannot walk down the stairs without holding onto the rail, my handwriting is ATROCIOUS! I have a hard time throwing stuff..

:D Many gifted people have motor skills trouble. Me too!. Oh, and I'm really crap at sports!

SAME HERE!

lastcrazyhorn
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2007, 2:19 am

Speaking of sports, the only one that I have any skill at is gym hockey. I can't skate, but everything else involved in with hockey is just fine with me.

Other than that, I think that one some level all of the list's attributes could apply to me; like, I enjoy mathematical concepts, but not math in and of itself. Meh.

I also managed to do marching band for 7 years, and that takes some definite coordination. I almost didn't make it my sophomore year, but after that I got it pretty good.

It's funny though; I scored as gifted when I was 6, but then when I was 10, I didn't. I wasn't a very good test taker as a younger child and my sense of time was often skewed, making test taking even more difficult/lousy.

BATMAN: I'll do everything I can to rehabilitate you.
CATWOMAN: Marry me.
BATMAN: Everything except that.

http://lastcrazyhorn.wordpress.com - "Odd One Out: Reality with a refreshing slice of aspie"

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2007, 2:33 am

I tested as gifted in grade 5 (IQ of 160x2); I was comfortable
I tested as mentally ret*d in grade 11 (I could barely write my name on the IQ test); I was uncomfortable

One can deduce certain things concerning autism from the above anecdote (I was just as smart in grade 11 as I was in 5).

Eire
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Dec 2007, 2:43 am

In sixth grade I tested as gifted. In high school I was in remedial classes. :?

So I don't know.

AliceinOz
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Dec 2007, 3:06 am

Danielismyname wrote:
I tested as gifted in grade 5 (IQ of 160x2); I was comfortable
I tested as mentally ret*d in grade 11 (I could barely write my name on the IQ test); I was uncomfortable

One can deduce certain things concerning autism from the above anecdote (I was just as smart in grade 11 as I was in 5).

The other thing is that the writer of the test determines what is gifted and what is not. I am what I am - and good luck to anyone who tries to categorise me.

MsBehaviour
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Dec 2007, 3:07 pm

I'm stoked to see you all posting about the gifts that you have, as it's often easier to dwell on what we don't have. Gifted, Artistic, Autistic - they are just labels. It's how you see yourself that really matters.

howzat
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2007, 3:47 pm

Yes i am gifted i have good memory 4 trains, maps, n calendar dates n many ppl at skool n tv companies had said 2 me dat ur very gifted.

ButchCoolidge
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Dec 2007, 4:56 pm

I am very gifted in many different areas... math, language, music, memory, even athletics. I see a lot of people saying "so what if I'm gifted, it doesn't matter," and while I can kind of see that point, I think it is just as wrong to say that it doesn't matter as to say that it does. It is what it is. I understand things a lot of people don't and can express myself in ways that a lot of people can't. To say that it doesn't matter is ridiculous. I can't connect verbally (ie, have a stimulating conversation) with a large percent of people simply because they can't speak as well, don't have any opinions or interests, etc. So, it does matter very much. It's not something to brag about or something to get an ego boost from because I didn't do anything to earn it, but it's just as foolish to go the other direction and to say that it's not something to acknowledge, because it's simply not true. Being gifted has a huge impact on my life, both in how I relate to other people and in what I want to do with my life. People like me aren't supposed to work at McDonald's because we have something very important to offer, and I'm not going to ignore my giftedness just because it's easy. It's not easy to have gifts and talents because with them comes responsibility, but it's just the way it is.

beau99
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2007, 5:06 pm

Eire wrote:
In sixth grade I tested as gifted. In high school I was in remedial classes. :?

So I don't know.

Same.

Twitter: http://twitter.com/agenderstar

nutbag
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2007, 5:27 pm

Okay. I missed two of them. Don't know how accurate test is. But yeah, am high IQ and gifted. That is why I am soooo successful and wealthy! :lol:

Oh. I spose my clumsiness spoiled my real chances for wealth. Besides I never married into a rich family. That would have shown giftedness.

cynicism occurs immediately upon pressing your brain's start button