Study: Violent videogames destroy brain function

Page 1 of 5 [ 66 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

monty
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2007, 1:05 pm

shaggydaddy wrote:

The truth of the matter is that children will always be miusunderstood by people who hate children,

No, we want to understand the enemy. It makes them easier to defeat. :wink:

shaggydaddy wrote:
unfortunatly it is very common for overly acedemic people to forego having children, therefore those who have the most "credentials" have the least common sense when it comes to children.

It is true that people that have more education tend to have fewer children. This does not mean that educated parents have the least common sense when it comes to kids - I would nominate the less educated parents I see in Walmart and the Zoo that scream at their kids, threaten to hit them, and then hit them if they misbehave in public. Violence against kids is so over-rated as a method of parenting, and it does real damage. And those parents have no taste when it comes to what to wear!

Having fewer kids allows parents to invest more resources into each person - more time, better education. As far as I know, there is no evidence that children from smaller, better educated families are less happy, less developed or less successful in life.

I would also challenge your appeal to common sense, as most people are clueless gnorks. Common Sense is too often a shelter for dubious beliefs that could not make it on their own if honestly examined, but which survive by being enshrined in the untouchable vault of shared delusions.

Quote:
What is honored in a country is cultivated there. - Plato (~428–348 BC)

Too bad that peace, tolerance, and acceptance isn't more widely honored.

Last edited by monty on 27 Dec 2007, 1:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

crazyllama
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Dec 2007, 1:07 pm

I think these are the same scientists that claimed to have cloned a human being and also the ones that say they have the cure for AIDS!

I think they are working on time travel as we speak ! 8O

xrenegadexsadizt
Butterfly
Butterfly

27 Dec 2007, 2:47 pm

Oh, whatever...I guess we should all just deny the violent sides of our human nature and then everything would be oh-so sparkly and perfect! Because as we all know, repression of natural instincts is the healthiest thing ever.

Not.

Like many above me have said, this study is very flawed.

monty
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2007, 3:04 pm

xrenegadexsadizt wrote:
Oh, whatever...I guess we should all just deny the violent sides of our human nature and then everything would be oh-so sparkly and perfect! Because as we all know, repression of natural instincts is the healthiest thing ever.

Not.

There is a difference between repressing an emotion (which can back-fire) and cultivating that emotion by rewarding people for expressing that response for hour after hour, day after day. Really, doesn't playing violent video games strengthen those circuits in the brain, which then requires that people repress what they have learned from the game? BANG! BANG! I showed you, M-Fer!!

Many have said this study is flawed, yet they have not offered any specific criticisms which are valid.

Last edited by monty on 27 Dec 2007, 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sort30030
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Dec 2007, 3:06 pm

I'll accept it promotes obesity and violence but it's not convincing enough to make me believe that it will lower one's intelligence.

monty
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2007, 3:11 pm

sort30030 wrote:
I'll accept it promotes obesity and violence but it's not convincing enough to make me believe that it will lower one's intelligence.

I'm not sure that it will lower intelligence, as measured by standard IQ tests. But if it does have negative effects on the frontal lobe and the anterior cingulate gyrus, which are associated with speech, thought, decisions, impulse control, and emotional response ... ?

TLPG
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2007, 3:59 pm

My two cents.

This article - not surprisingly - comes from a poor and biased source. Fox - as in Fox News. They never do their proper homework and sensationalise something chronic. All they're about is trying to get rid of something they just plain don't like - and violent video games have always been high on their target list.

Any individual (no exceptions) could respond incorrectly to video games. It's an indication of a pre existing problem that has nothing whatsoever to do with the game. A game is a game - that's all.

If anything - playing games (no matter what game) too much MIGHT be an issue. But that would be more to do with staring at a monitor or TV screen for too long and something like this (in theory) would take YEARS to develop. And only if the individual played video games literally all day every day without fail.

A ridiculous article.

monty
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2007, 4:24 pm

TLPG wrote:
My two cents.

This article - not surprisingly - comes from a poor and biased source. Fox - as in Fox News. They never do their proper homework and sensationalise something chronic. All they're about is trying to get rid of something they just plain don't like - and violent video games have always been high on their target list.

Any individual (no exceptions) could respond incorrectly to video games. It's an indication of a pre existing problem that has nothing whatsoever to do with the game. A game is a game - that's all.

If anything - playing games (no matter what game) too much MIGHT be an issue. But that would be more to do with staring at a monitor or TV screen for too long and something like this (in theory) would take YEARS to develop. And only if the individual played video games literally all day every day without fail.

A ridiculous article.

And a joke is a joke - that's all. If a joke disparages racial minorities or people with different mental capacities, then it is OK? People can tell such jokes without being racist or neuroelite? And if anyone develops a bad attitude towards people after being exposed to jokes (or other words, which are abstract), then the problem is with the person with the attitude, not the jokes? I disagree.

You don't like Fox News? Me either. Here's a summary of a different perspective - from a psychologist that has spent some serious time on looking at the evidence. These are just the bulleted points; you can read the details via the link.

Quote:
Myth 1. Violent video game research has yielded very mixed results.
Myth 2. The studies that find significant effects are the weakest methodologically.
Myth 3. Laboratory experiments are irrelevant (trivial measures, demand characteristics, lack external validity).
Myth 4. Field experiments are irrelevant (aggression measures based either on direct imitation of video game behaviors (e.g., karate kicks) or are normal play behaviors.
Myth 5. Correlational studies are irrelevant.
Myth 6. There are no studies linking violent video game play to serious aggression.
Myth 7. Violent video games affect only a small fraction of players.
Myth 8. Unrealistic video game violence is completely safe for adolescents and older youths.
Myth 9. The effects of violent video games are trivially small.
Myth 10. Arousal, not violent content, accounts for video game induced increases in aggression.
Myth 11. If violent video games cause increases in aggression, violent crime rates in the U.S. would be increasing instead of decreasing.

http://www.apa.org/science/psa/sb-anderson.html

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2007, 4:40 pm

monty wrote:
xrenegadexsadizt wrote:

Not.

There is a difference between repressing an emotion (which can back-fire) and cultivating that emotion by rewarding people for expressing that response for hour after hour, day after day. Really, doesn't playing violent video games strengthen those circuits in the brain, which then requires that people repress what they have learned from the game? BANG! BANG! I showed you, M-Fer!!

Many have said this study is flawed, yet they have not offered any specific criticisms which are valid.

No.

If players of violent games were really just building up to use what they have learned from the game,they'd all be running around with chainsaws,flame throwers,shotguns and katanas.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

monty
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2007, 4:51 pm

KingdomOfRats wrote:
monty wrote:
xrenegadexsadizt wrote:

Not.

No.

If players of violent games were really just building up to use what they have learned from the game,they'd all be running around with chainsaws,flame throwers,shotguns and katanas.

And not shooting up schools at Columbine or Virginia Tech?

People who frequently play such games have a fuse that is measurably shorter. Few will turn into homicidal maniacs. Most of them will find a healthier outlet for their aggression - like garden variety bullying. I guess that is ok.

Last edited by monty on 27 Dec 2007, 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BlueMax
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2007, 5:02 pm

Somehow, I'll bet people will be chanting "hogwash" no matter how many studies and reports are made, even if proven beyond a doubt.

Why?

...because people LIKE playing those video games, and don't want to be told it's "bad". The creators of those games also don't want to hurt their billion-dollar industry.

People have been coming up with evidence for and against for almost 30 years now, I think it'd be wise to consider both sides and not immediately dismiss the claims.

gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2007, 5:20 pm

I like the way it's from the "Taipei Veterans General Hospital’s Department of Psychiatry"

Is that a hospital for people mentally hurt by playing Taipei.

I used to have Taipei for the computer and I used to feel pretty dumb after playing that for a few hours.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2007, 5:56 pm

monty wrote:
KingdomOfRats wrote:
monty wrote:
xrenegadexsadizt wrote:

Not.

No.

And not shooting up schools at Columbine or Virginia Tech?

People who frequently play such games have a fuse that is measurably shorter. Few will turn into homicidal maniacs. Most of them will find a healthier outlet for their agression - like garden variety bullying. I guess that is ok.

What do mean by fuse? bombs?

What games caused columbine and VT?
The shooters from both schools both had very complex problems going on,games have not been blamed and anything could have been a set off-they blamed the film-childs play for the two children who killed Jamie Bulger,
there are lots of things in life that can influence a person,games cannot only be blamed if the person is mentally vulnerable or immature already.

Am do not believe they can have no negative effects on a person,have long thought BBFC 18 rated games [not sure of US equivilent? M? AO?] should be behind the counter in shops,and age ID required to buy them,with awareness posters about 'adult' games ratings up in shops to discourage parents buying them for their children.

Have been/still am a player of Manhunt,soldier of fortune,Quake III,all the GTAs etc,and have never knowingly killed an insect,bullied a person,been abusive....sisters' boyfriend [NT] has 'controlpad rage' and he only plays football,football manager or platform based games on his 360,he's a kind person and doesn't bully either.

BlueMax,
There is a 'bad' side to most things,eg one research will come out saying chocolate is bad for people,another will come out recommending a bit every day.
With gaming,more needs to be done to minimize risks,it should firstly start with parents-stop buying their children adult games.
But games shouldn't be censored altogether at the expense of those who can handle them/things that aren't real.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2007, 7:55 pm

Not this BS again. :roll:

The Baby Boomer culture warriors are going to keep demanding studies until they get the results they want (or, if they can't get the results they want they'll just distort and cherry-pick the results), and then will yap about the results on the news while at the same time ignore everything else that contradicts the one study.

monty
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2007, 7:57 pm

KingdomOfRats wrote:
What do mean by fuse? bombs?

A 'short fuse' is an expression that means someone is quicker to anger or lose their temper. Study after study has shown that the more people are involved in fantasizing about violence, the less likely they are to calmly respond to a challenging situation, and the more likely they are to use aggressive language, gestures, etc.

KingdomOfRats wrote:

What games caused columbine and VT?
The shooters from both schools both had very complex problems going on ...

Yes, complex problems. But they did fetishize violence. From repeatedly watching films such as Natural Born Killers to living in violent video games, they became committed to violence as an ideology.

Quote:
Both Harris and Klebold were fans of video games such as Doom and Wolfenstein 3D. Harris often created levels for Doom that were widely distributed, and can still be found on the Internet as the Harris levels.

Wikipedia

KingdomOfRats wrote:
Have been/still am a player of Manhunt,soldier of fortune,Quake III,all the GTAs etc,and have never knowingly killed an insect,bullied a person,been abusive....sisters' boyfriend [NT] has 'controlpad rage' and he only plays football,football manager or platform based games on his 360,he's a kind person and doesn't bully either.

Sure, and I know people who drink alcohol from time to time that aren't alcoholics, that don't fall into a pattern where they lose control and end up driving while drunk, they have never neglected or abused their family in a drunken stupor. That doesn't mean that alcohol is not a causative factor in many such tragedies. And as a person who occasionally drinks, I can admit that alcohol contributes to social problems.

I think BlueMax hit the nail on the head. People choose to believe what they want to believe, not the conclusion that the evidence leads to. I have come across a suprising (to me) number of people that still do not believe that smoking causes cancer. They are addicted, and they prefer cute platitudes like "smoking has only been proven to cause statistics." They invent alternative explanations ("the cancer is from modern pollution" or "its really from the additives that big corporations add to the smokes."). Because they are irrational addicts.

It shouldn't surprise me that video game enthusiasts will passionately defend their activities as completely harmless.

Leo21k
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Dec 2007, 7:58 pm

Odin wrote:
Not this BS again. :roll:

The Baby Boomer culture warriors are going to keep demanding studies until they get the results they want (or, if they can't get the results they want they'll just distort and cherry-pick the results), and then will yap about the results on the news while at the same time ignore everything else that contradicts the one study.

Its like for every study that says something there is another study that says the opposite :wall:

Like which is better to eat? Butter or margarin?