Page 3 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

codarac
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2008, 5:34 pm

Delirium wrote:
I'm going to play devil's advocate here for a second.

Tibet, pre-China takeover, was not a paradise. It was feudalism, with the lamas at the top and everyone else on the bottom.

If Tibet is to be independent, they need to find a less medieval form of government.

Supposed democracies like the USA and the UK are not paradises either.

For a Tibetan right now, the system of government in a hypothetical independent Tibet would be of secondary importance. The ultimate question would be "are we going to survive as a distinct people?"

The English, French, Germans, Spanish, Danes etc might ask themselves the same question, by the way.

wsmac
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2008, 5:47 pm

Psychlone wrote:
Unlike with Iraq, Tibet already has a functional government in exile. If the Chinese were booted out then all that would need to happen is for this exiled government to return and resume.

Do you know what the government was like before China invaded?

I doubt it would be easy for the prior government to just step in and resume power.
Besides... do the people of Tibet want that same government back?
The same leaders?

This is what I was trying to come across with in my other post... it's all too easy to just say stuff that sounds on the surface to be really good... what's needed is for people within Tibet to decide what they want and how they are going to go about running things if/when China is finally expelled.

I hope no one starts pushing Western 'democracy' on them like we have on other countries.
Again... take Iraq... no one has a f*****g clue what they are doing over there... or so it seems to me.

The Iraqi people are not going to assimilate to a Western style government as easily as our idiot president and the rest of his gang try to convince everyone they will.

Hell, not everyone over there WANTS a governent like that.
They had a system of government that worked for them for a long time... with tribal fighting at times... then the West came in long ago and started screwing around with everything.

I like the way my countries government is set up in principal... but I am not so selfish and foolhardy that I believe this is the way EVERY person on the earth should live.

Going back to Tibet... I agree that China invaded this country and should not be there... they should also let Taiwan go... but I have no idea what form of government Tibet should place in action after China leaves.

I am not so arrogant that I would even suggest they adopt my country's politics.
They are a different culture... a different people... they should decide on their own what's best for them.
The rest of the world needs to pull back a bit and make sure these people are ready to govern themselves before we continue to push for China to exit.
We don't have to take off all the pressure, but there should not be any major action against China until we know that Tibet wouldn't fall into the black hole of an ungoverrned country once they pushed China out.

Just take a look at history... look what's happened in Eastern Europe when the yoke of the USSR was finally dismantled.

How many Tibetans want the Dali Lama to return to power in Tibet?

Any idea?

Because that's what I hear people in the West pushing for... :"Oh the Dalai Lama! He's so magnificent!"
Check your history.... that's all I'm saying.. that and think this through before you keep on chanting about China leaving Tibet.
There needs to be something in place for the Tibetan people live under.. something THEY want... not us!

Psychlone
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2008, 6:06 pm

The Dalai Llama was sort of like a monarch, but the people of his country loved him and they still do. China punishes Tibetans who have pictures of him or say anything nice about him, but they still love him. Many of them flee and make the journey to India where they can see him at least once before they die. He's not just a monarch, but also the reincarnation of Buddha.