Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2022, 1:39 am

700.000 years, and nothing changed :) Image

Erewhon
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2022, 1:54 am

You can't rush the time, but with some creativity/illusion I squeezed the time span of evolution some time ago. I haved 145065600000000000 seconds compress to 1 minute. The film goes back in time, after all, evolution is also the ultimate history lesson. As for the future where evolution is uncertain for the minimal brainpower of people.

Erewhon
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2022, 12:13 pm

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2022, 5:50 pm

The time span of evolution is not measured in years, but in generations. How fast evolution can occur is dependent on how long it takes for a newly conceived individual to get to the point of reproducing. Human evolution occurs slowly because it takes a decade or two at minimum for us to get from conception to reproduction. Meanwhile, bacteria can get from conception to reproduction in seconds, so they evolve very quickly.

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2022, 6:37 pm

How might the knowledge of evolution assist us in our everyday lives?

This book might be helpful:

The Evolving World: Evolution in Everyday Life - David Mindell
https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/show/ ... ving_World

Erewhon
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2022, 1:57 am

JustFoundHere wrote:
How might the knowledge of evolution assist us in our everyday lives?

This book might be helpful:

The Evolving World: Evolution in Everyday Life - David Mindell
https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/show/ ... ving_World

The knowledge of evolution is a good tool against religion, in that way its a good assist in my everyday life.

Evolution, in my opinion, is a blind process. Sometimes I like that process, and sometimes I don't like that process.

Arise or Made :?:
I think that things in the universe are not made, but they arise from materiality, that materiality arise the mind, but the mind, in my opinion, does not make the dust.

rowan_nichol
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2022, 1:19 pm

I learned a lot this time last year taking part in Virology Live.
This is the lecture from the course which covered evolution in viruses.
The speed at which viruses reproduce combined with their simplicity makes them a powerful study tool.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3_o9gUGVc ... L&index=21

The speed of evolution depends on the rate of reproduction. While some pundits assert that SARS CoV2 is unusual in that it appears to evolve more rapidly than other known Corona viruses, the the sppex of evolution is more likely the result of the Huge number of reproductions in the huge number of infected hosts one gets in a pandemic

Erewhon
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2022, 3:45 am

Evolution with an 'incubationtime' 8)

While showering I usually get the most special thoughts in my upstairs room, so also this morning, a bright idea popped up.
If I'm going to make a long journey now, but really a very long journey. A journey with the destination where I am 191 light years from planet earth, and in my backpack I take a very powerful telescope with me. Then I aim that telescope at the on the planet earth to the Victorian era. And I will enjoy Charles Darwin's journey around the world with De Beagle for 5 years. It is miraculous that very far away in the universe that something that is a thing of the past for us is still 'now' at 191 light years away. In fact, 191 light years away from planet Earth, I hadn't even been born yet. If I am that far away from planet earth, I do have nice comparison material, I know what a mess it is in the year 213, but if I also have a view of the year 22, then it is better to consider whether the evolution is positive according to my standards has changed, or to the negative, that is also possible. In this way I can also get Abraham Lincoln in the crosshairs of my telescope, just like Charles Darwin, Lincoln also seems to have been born in the year zero.