Page 3151 of 4179 [ 66853 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3148, 3149, 3150, 3151, 3152, 3153, 3154 ... 4179  Next

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2019, 3:38 pm

It's "pocket billiards." Called both "billiards" and "pool" in the US, though "pool" is more common. I believe that's the case in the UK, too, though "billiards" is probably more common there.

There's "billiards" without the pockets, too. That's never called "pool." Always called "billiards."

I had all kinds of crushes on teachers and on other kids starting in junior high.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2019, 3:41 pm

In my area, billiard tables with pockets would generally be called a "pool table". In the pool halls, they would always have a few pocket-less billiard tables which were longer and people would play with only three balls if I recall correctly. My friend's dad knew how to play "billiards" as well as "pool".

That would have been great growing up with a pool table!

A John Hughes crush in high school? Yes, I would say the girl I dated junior and senior year was a lot like Samantha "Sam" and Jake only she was the more popular, so I guess she was more like Jake. :wink:

Same q

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2019, 3:43 pm

We always called it "the pool table", but I assumed that the proper word was billiards.

I had a John Hughes "best guy friend" while in high school, but he was from a summer job and not from my actual school. We still keep in touch on FB. He just got divorced and is hinting we should go out but I haven't actually seen him since the 80s, other than Facebook photos. He wrote me love poems that I still have, including "Ode to Pooter", which I know by heart.

Would you meet someone after 30 years, if you were me?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2019, 3:49 pm

If a person went into a pool hall (also called a billiard parlor) talking about playing "billiards," that person would be laughed at by most patrons----except for those who are serious pool/billiard players.

The terms are interchangeable if the table has pockets--but "pool" is much more common amongst the "regular folk." A person who has pretensions towards being a connoisseur of the game would probably call it "billiards." It's considered "more classy" than "pool."

A "serious" connoisseur of ping pong might get upset if you call the game something other than "table tennis."

Actually, I haven't seen a few people in over 40 years. I would still meet them if they wanted to meet me.

Same question.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2019, 3:53 pm

Meeting someone after 30 years from my past. Hmmmm....that's a tough one. I have mixed feelings about that. I'm such a different person than I was back then. I also, by necessity and immersion and proximity with so many peers, I was a much better conversationalist than I have been for decades now. I would be afraid doing so would be a disaster or we'd have little to talk about. Maybe that's a pessimistic irrational fear. But that's just me.

Go for it though, Isabella!

Same q

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2019, 4:01 pm

Thanks for the heads-up about the word billiards. I thought they were interchangeable, but we did call ours a pool table.

A male WP member recently posted something that sounded so much like my high school friend it was uncanny. I was sure it was him! To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if my friend is on the spectrum. I can't remember which WP member it was or how to track down the post. Maybe I'll just message my friend on Facebook and ask if he is on WP? If you're out there thinking you know me and the words "dirty martini" or "Bunny" mean anything to you -- message me!

Question: Have you ever had a bloody nose?

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2019, 4:12 pm

I'm guessing you could put those words in the search and maybe the post will come up. It's worth a try anyway.

I think it's been years since I had a bloody nose. I don't even remember when.

Same q

Kuraudo7777
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2019, 4:20 pm

Sometimes if I blow my nose too much.

What's the most complicated/convoluted book you've ever read?

"A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel...As long as I'm with you, as long as you're by my side, I won't give up even if I'm scared." Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2019, 4:44 pm

The Mayor of Casterbridge was convoluted and quasi-Shakespearian in its twisted plot, double entendres and mistaken identity situations but I liked it very much. It just took a lot of long term memory! The "hardest" book I ever read was Finnegans Wake.

same q

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2019, 4:53 pm

Magna wrote:
I'm guessing you could put those words in the search and maybe the post will come up. It's worth a try anyway.

I think it's been years since I had a bloody nose. I don't even remember when.

Same q

Well, whaddya know! I found the WP member by doing a search of his post, just like you suggested.
Now what?

This member hasn't even been online since December.

I can communicate with my friend via Facebook, I just don't know how to say "Hey, are you autistic because I think I saw you on Wrong Planet..." ? (awkward, much?)

drlaugh
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2019, 5:09 pm

The Kabbalah.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2019, 5:16 pm

New question:

Do you think you 'look' autistic in your childhood photos? I look odd in most of mine. I'm always pulling a face or else my body is twisted in odd shapes even when I'm standing. It always looks like I'm trying to disappear.

Dylanperr
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2019, 5:30 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
New question:

Do you think you 'look' autistic in your childhood photos? I look odd in most of mine. I'm always pulling a face or else my body is twisted in odd shapes even when I'm standing. It always looks like I'm trying to disappear.

Yes because I am autistic and what do you mean by looking autistic?

Dylanperr
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2019, 5:33 pm

Kuraudo7777 wrote:
Sometimes if I blow my nose too much.

What's the most complicated/convoluted book you've ever read?

I would say the Man In The High Castle would be pretty hard. 1984 is to.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2019, 5:41 pm

Dylanperr wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
New question:

Yes because I am autistic and what do you mean by looking autistic?

I know that autism doesn't have a "look", and I'm not trying to say it does. I just notice that in all my photos I do stand out as being different in one way or another. I look very self-conscious and awkward or nervous. I don't look at the camera, I look very uncomfortable and it's like I'm trying to vanish or make a joke of myself all the time. I just wondered if other people see vulnerabilities in their photos too? This is definitely not my imagination. After puberty age there is so much pain and confusion in my eyes it breaks my heart.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2019, 5:48 pm

I'm not sure, but I'll be looking at old photo albums soon, so I'll be mindful of checking that.

I know that pictures now/as an adult, my "smile for the camera" is very artificial looking. It's like I don't know how to do it the right way.

What kind of hat do you wear in the winter? Stocking cap with a pom pom? Brimmed hat?