the Architypal "nerd" as an aspie stereotype

Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2007, 10:51 am

I was thinking about Aspie stereotypes (as mentioned on another thread)

What about the architypal "Nerd" stereotype that "Aspie" characturistics seem to be ascribed to...(if I am wording that right)

As a kid i was constantly called a nerd...it was the way I dressed, and carried myself, my sense of self-unawareness complete lack of fashion sense and social oblivion...and I was slightly above average intelligence wise.
I gravitated towards architypal "Nerds" in tv, movies and books....(this is long before I had ever heard of Aspergers)...as people I could relate to....think Rick Moranis type characters..etc....

I grew out of it...for the most part.....I developed an artsy eccentric retro fashion sense by the time I reached high school....sick of being bullied and being called a lesbian for always wearing plaid flannel shirts

What has your relationship been with this stereotype?
Were you called a nerd in school? Could you relate to these types of characters as portrayed in the media? just curious.

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

29 Dec 2007, 11:07 am

When I was a young child I was called a nerd.

I don't think that it was the stereotype that you say the media potrays that fits me, though. I was at that time completely self-unaware, no fashion sense and basically a social outcast.
As far as superior intellegence go...nope, I have an average IQ. I was never a great student and failed most school work...but my intellegence came out in my interests at school.

At high school the term that was used to label me changed from nerd, to geek. I don't know the difference.

JWRed
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Dec 2007, 11:10 am

Yes. We are dorks. That is why we need to change.

Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Dec 2007, 1:59 pm

I was definitely called a nerd. But people knew if they ever needed help with homework I was the person to go to, though they rarely did, for fear of what people would say. But they knew I was one of the smartest students in the entire school.

The older I get the more I feel I'm growing out of that mold.

Leo21k
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 Dec 2007, 2:27 pm

I'm a geek and a dork but no one knows that about me since I've always been good at looking like I'm a "normal" guy.

It's all about your clothing and hair style in my opinion since most people judge you by how you look.

missboots
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Dec 2007, 2:35 pm

I've never been considered a nerd. Though I've definitely been told I'm weird.

29 Dec 2007, 2:51 pm

I was called a nerd a few times in my childhood. Mostly bullies called me it. I've been labeled dork, and geek too.

BlueMax
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2007, 3:38 pm

Nerd... without question.... then as depression set in it became "loser".

I'm almost surprised I'm still alive!

AngelUndercover
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Dec 2007, 8:20 pm

I'm hardly anything like the stereotypical nerd.

ngonz
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Dec 2007, 9:24 pm

Both of my sons are nerds and are proud of it. The nerds run the world! They are self-assured and don't give a rip about what the "in crowd" might think of how they dress. Most of the "cool kids" look like idiots when they try to converse about anything of substance because they are too concerned about superficial goings-on. My boys, on the other hand, are smart and can hold their own in serious conversation on just about any topic.
They do have a problem with finding nice girls who are not total airheads. Where are you, nerdy-girls??? :)

www.neurointegrity.com

Leo21k
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 Dec 2007, 9:27 pm

ngonz wrote:
Both of my sons are nerds and are proud of it. The nerds run the world! They are self-assured and don't give a rip about what the "in crowd" might think of how they dress. Most of the "cool kids" look like idiots when they try to converse about anything of substance because they are too concerned about superficial goings-on. My boys, on the other hand, are smart and can hold their own in serious conversation on just about any topic.
They do have a problem with finding nice girls who are not total airheads. Where are you, nerdy-girls??? :)

At home watching anime.

ngonz
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Dec 2007, 9:37 pm

Leo21k wrote:
ngonz wrote:

At home watching anime.

hahaha---That's where my sons are. OK, so my older son just got a job as a computer programmer, and on his first day, he was asked to introduce himself to the other workers and say what his hobbies are. They are as follows: "Programming, reading comic books and watching anime." The other new guy said the same thing. The bosses and workers all grinned and chuckled and said, 'You are just like everyone else here."
He loves his job, love the atmosphere of working with like-minded folks. The only drawback is there are no girls working there. Where does a conservative, young "nerdy" guy go to meet a like-minded, intelligent girl?

www.neurointegrity.com

BlueMax
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2007, 10:39 pm

ngonz wrote:
Where does a conservative, young "nerdy" guy go to meet a like-minded, intelligent girl?

I would imagine Conventions would be the first stop! Comic-cons, anime-cons, etc. Unless you're a fan, these people seem like complete weirdos - but birds of a feather... :)

AceOfSpades
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2007, 11:07 pm

I use the computer a lot, but that's really the only thing about me that comes close to the stereotypical nerd stereotype. That and the fact I'm more socailly inept than the average person.

I was never called a nerd in school...

Smelena
Cure Neurotypicals Now!
Cure Neurotypicals Now!

29 Dec 2007, 11:11 pm

ngonz wrote:
Leo21k wrote:
Where does a conservative, young "nerdy" guy go to meet a like-minded, intelligent girl?

I recommend a nurse! Nurses are smart.

Helen

sort30030
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Dec 2007, 11:29 pm

I've been told I'm weird and smart in high school. I have no idea what people thought of me before high school but I was different before as well. I don't think anyone called me a nerd or geek but I don't really know what people really thought of me. Someone else told me that some people thought I had no common sense.