Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

BainAduial
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Jan 2008, 12:43 am

nonicknamedamnit wrote:
I don't know, writing straight-faced ( hmm...mixed something somewhere) to an NT prof about your belief that early man saddled up Dino to patrol the lower 40 sounds like wicked, good fun. Would he/she try to be sensitive to your ( INSANE, RIGHT-WING RELIGIOUS) beliefs or just ridicule you outright in terror and panic? Are you SUREyou must forego? :twisted:

Actually, I have one regular recurring proessor who would just laugh, and then possibly suggest ways to turn it into a novel. Oh crud, now I have another idea for a book... there were too many in my head already! Oh well. It really is tempting, and it really would be marvellous fun, but I'm afraid that as a school project it'll have to remain un-accomplished. Although if you ever see a best-seller about dino-riders...

oblio
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 1 Observatree Close, Pointless Forest, Low Countries

03 Jan 2008, 5:41 am

hear: match being lit
hear: hello (voice Lou Reed on Take No Prisoners)

just letting you know i'm here somewhere, for those desperately seeking introductory notes: i have just started my hut up in the mountains warming party

rsvp not required but gratefully accepted

be welcome at my blog

may your god forgive you

Douglas_MacNeill
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2008, 1:55 pm

BainAduial wrote:
Hi! I'm Kelly, from Calgary and sometimes Victoria, Canada.

I'm never sure what I'm expected to write as an introduction. Is there a standard rule for this somewhere? I'm 21, a University student majoring in anthropology, which subject I severely dislike, and am trying to get out of if I can figure out what I actually want to do with my life. So far, this hasn't gone well. I've felt really 'weird' all my life, but until two days ago, I didn't know AS existed. I just thought I was kind of a geek, and I'd grow out of it. I've been reading through everything I can get my hands on for the past couple of days, and wow. I miss some of the sterotypes; I'm not particularly clumsy, I'm utter crap at math, and I don't have major problems with sounds, lights, or touching (if anything, I'm too touchy), but everything else is pretty much correct. Including the little professor tendencies, the obsessive tendencies (it's been bothering my mother for YEARS that I kind of bounce between topics, obsessing over them and then losing interest), and all of the social awkwardness. Also the copying. I saw it mentioned that one of the stereotypes is that people with AS tend to copy other people; I do this really badly. To the extent that after spending a day or two with someone, I'll start using their exact speech patterns, in an effort to fit in with them socially. Do other people do this to that extent? I've tried to stop, because I know it doesn't work, but so far not much luck. Also the scheduling; I've always had huge problems with time, and with remembering mundane things like eating; now I know there are solutions to this. And that's a huge relief. And it's good to know that I'm not the only person who freaks out to an unreasonable extent when things don't go as planned; I was at the airport last week, and the ticket agent said something different about my luggage than the airline website had claimed, and I freaked out and almost couldn't function to deal with it. I'm lucky a friend was there; usually I travel alone.

Anyway, that was quite long enough, I think, and more information than anyone required. But it's such a relief to find other people who (judging from the posts on the forums here) think like I do and have the same problems. Thank god (or the supernatural and/or natural phenomenon of your choice) for finding this place.

Welcome to WrongPlanet, BainAduial.

I just happen to use my own name as my user name on this website,
so my name is indeed Douglas MacNeill. I'm a 43-year-old male
living in Edmonton and working at the University of Alberta. If you could
pm me (i.e. send me a private message), I would be prepared to tell you
much more about myself and see what I could to advise you about
your educational situation. Alternatively, you could e-mail me at
[email protected].

Yours sincerely,
Douglas MacNeill

whitedragon
Raven
Raven

06 Jan 2008, 1:29 am

Hello and nice to meet you.

BainAduial wrote:
I'm never sure what I'm expected to write as an introduction. Is there a standard rule for this somewhere?

There is the_enigma introduction format in this 'getting to know' forum, which is quite interesting to read.

BainAduial wrote:
Also the copying. I saw it mentioned that one of the stereotypes is that people with AS tend to copy other people; I do this really badly. To the extent that after spending a day or two with someone, I'll start using their exact speech patterns, in an effort to fit in with them socially. Do other people do this to that extent? I've tried to stop, because I know it doesn't work, but so far not much luck.

I do that. I think it's automatic to an extent.

BainAduial wrote:
Also the scheduling; I've always had huge problems with time, and with remembering mundane things like eating; now I know there are solutions to this. And that's a huge relief.

what are these solutions pleeeeeeeeease?