Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

BainAduial
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Dec 2007, 3:50 am

Hi! I'm Kelly, from Calgary and sometimes Victoria, Canada.

I'm never sure what I'm expected to write as an introduction. Is there a standard rule for this somewhere? I'm 21, a University student majoring in anthropology, which subject I severely dislike, and am trying to get out of if I can figure out what I actually want to do with my life. So far, this hasn't gone well. I've felt really 'weird' all my life, but until two days ago, I didn't know AS existed. I just thought I was kind of a geek, and I'd grow out of it. I've been reading through everything I can get my hands on for the past couple of days, and wow. I miss some of the sterotypes; I'm not particularly clumsy, I'm utter crap at math, and I don't have major problems with sounds, lights, or touching (if anything, I'm too touchy), but everything else is pretty much correct. Including the little professor tendencies, the obsessive tendencies (it's been bothering my mother for YEARS that I kind of bounce between topics, obsessing over them and then losing interest), and all of the social awkwardness. Also the copying. I saw it mentioned that one of the stereotypes is that people with AS tend to copy other people; I do this really badly. To the extent that after spending a day or two with someone, I'll start using their exact speech patterns, in an effort to fit in with them socially. Do other people do this to that extent? I've tried to stop, because I know it doesn't work, but so far not much luck. Also the scheduling; I've always had huge problems with time, and with remembering mundane things like eating; now I know there are solutions to this. And that's a huge relief. And it's good to know that I'm not the only person who freaks out to an unreasonable extent when things don't go as planned; I was at the airport last week, and the ticket agent said something different about my luggage than the airline website had claimed, and I freaked out and almost couldn't function to deal with it. I'm lucky a friend was there; usually I travel alone.

Anyway, that was quite long enough, I think, and more information than anyone required. But it's such a relief to find other people who (judging from the posts on the forums here) think like I do and have the same problems. Thank god (or the supernatural and/or natural phenomenon of your choice) for finding this place.

SleepyDragon
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2007, 4:26 am

Nice to meet you, Kelly. I also prefer words to numbers. Timekeeping and calendar skills, I'm pretty hopeless - just ask my husband! :D I was an Artsie myself, and out of anthropology, sociology and linguistics, linguistics was my preferred subject by far.

Welcome here at Wrong Planet.

Smelena
Cure Neurotypicals Now!
Cure Neurotypicals Now!

30 Dec 2007, 5:05 am

Welcome to WrongPlanet Kelly.

There are a few Canadians floating around WrongPlanet including BlessedMom, Kilroy and CockneyRebel.

Have fun.

Helen

asplanet
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2007, 6:21 am

Hi and welcome to the Aspie community

I also prefer words to numbers, but apart from aspergers I also have Dyslexia and Dyspraxia - but at least I know why I have always had problems now, before being diagnosed it was like some dark shadow following me around, making my life extremely difficuly.

gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2007, 7:29 am

Welcome Kelly,

I too am better at English than Math.

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2007, 8:47 am

Nice to meet you, Kelly. :)

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2007, 11:21 am

Welcome to WP!

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Kurt
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Dec 2007, 11:54 am

Hi Kelly-

Everything you mention sounds familiar. I have noticed the speech pattern copying. Have always been clinically ret*d in math as well, much more inclined towards History and English.

To get out of Anthropology fast and with pride intact, you could always be controversial and turn in a major paper in favor of Bigfoot or Creationism. It's rotten being stuck in an academic, work, or relationship-related situation that isn't working. This has been the story of my life. For me, once the seed of discontent is planted it quickly grows into panic followed by flight.

blessedmom
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2007, 12:00 pm

Hi Kelly! Welcome to WP from a fellow Southern Albertan. :D

Lauri

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

30 Dec 2007, 7:01 pm

Welcome to WrongPlanet!Image

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2007, 7:09 pm

Welcome BainAduial,

Not much call for anthropologists. Plumbers always work, good money too.

I am sure you will find something.

BainAduial
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Dec 2007, 7:09 pm

Kurt wrote:
Hi Kelly-

Everything you mention sounds familiar. I have noticed the speech pattern copying. Have always been clinically ret*d in math as well, much more inclined towards History and English.

To get out of Anthropology fast and with pride intact, you could always be controversial and turn in a major paper in favor of Bigfoot or Creationism. It's rotten being stuck in an academic, work, or relationship-related situation that isn't working. This has been the story of my life. For me, once the seed of discontent is planted it quickly grows into panic followed by flight.

hehehehe. It's tempting, but I think I'll just transfer out of it normally, either go back to music school or into a writing program of some sort. It'll annoy my parents, but I think they're almost getting used to that.

Wow, I didn't expect to many people to say hi. Thanks!

lkonantz
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Dec 2007, 12:10 am

Welcome to WP!! !!

I think changing your major to something you enjoy is the best thing, plus it makes the classes and the class work more interesting. Enjoy posting on WP!! !!

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

31 Dec 2007, 6:07 am

Hi Kelly,

Welcome to WP.

Don't worry about the AS stereotypes, not everyone fits them. I am horrible at math, too. English I am better at.

P.S = You are the first person I posted to in 2008....feel lucky! :lol:

nonicknamedamnit
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Jan 2008, 5:20 am

I don't know, writing straight-faced ( hmm...mixed something somewhere) to an NT prof about your belief that early man saddled up Dino to patrol the lower 40 sounds like wicked, good fun. Would he/she try to be sensitive to your ( INSANE, RIGHT-WING RELIGIOUS) beliefs or just ridicule you outright in terror and panic? Are you SUREyou must forego? :twisted:

nonicknamedamnit
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Jan 2008, 5:21 am

oh,p.s.----HI! WELCOME! :oops: