Anyone here play or ever played Second Life?

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

zendell
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2007, 12:03 pm

I want to know if the online game Second Life will help me with social skills, understanding people, and making friends. Is it fun to play?

http://secondlife.com/

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2007, 12:53 pm

I find second life somewhat interesting, and especially like it when my character dances! I usually dance in 'first life' like Elaine Bennis from the old Sinefeld series, in other words, pretty badly! But when my avatar on Second Life dances, it is strangely liberating to me, even though I am just watching, because she does it so beautifully!
no wonder people 'go dancing!' I never really understood that before. Now I do.

Merle

Forcythia
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 Dec 2007, 3:56 pm

Yes, I have been playing Second Life for over 3 years now. There are groups for those on the spectrum and for their relatives. I know of many people with Asperger's who are also in my group, Elf Circle, a High Fantasy group. They tell me that they have been able to practice social skills, and get coaching from trusted people when things are rough. If you come inworld, contact me, Forcythia Wishbringer, and I can introduce you to some groups and people. The environment allows you to work with words, and to do things that you may find difficult in the real world.

For those of you who are not familiar, Second Life is a free program you can download at secondlife.com. There is no purpose to this "game" and everything you see in the program is made by the residents of the lands. Mainland has a lot of sex and such, but there are also other areas to visit, lovely gardens, all kinds of activities to do, places to explore (even Africa, Holland, and Italy reproduced), as well as people to meet from all over the world. Yes, many aspies and Nt's. It is an adutlt's only world, although there is a teen grid. You can find people who share your interests and spend all your time with them or explore and expand your skills and interests.

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2007, 8:00 pm

thats a cool idea, i have heard of peeps making lots of monies out of second life to. and also peoples scamming peeps out of their monies.

Forcythia
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 Dec 2007, 8:32 pm

I think that with anything you have to be careful for the linden is actually real money. Of course, it takes something like 300 lindens to make a dollar, but people can sink money into the program quickly. The basic program though does not cost anything. You can make lindens by building things. I have not made more than enough to keep my lands afloat, but then I haven't attempted to make a profit.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2007, 8:44 pm

Playing Second Life is essentially declaring I have no life, isn't it?

Lord_Leinad
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

30 Dec 2007, 8:57 pm

I have never played Second Life, but, from what I hear of it, it sounds like a superb game.

Forcythia
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 Dec 2007, 9:30 pm

Tequila wrote:

Hmmmmm......how much time do you spend watching tv? Or reading? This is another way to fill time, to relax, to build your creativity. This is more interactive than watching TV and more social that reading a book. You are right, it isn't for everyone. But then again, neither is climbing mountains, jumping out of planes, or playing cards.
:)

fabshelly
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Dec 2007, 9:41 pm

I want to, but it keeps crashing.

Forcythia
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 Dec 2007, 9:45 pm

fabshelly wrote:
I want to, but it keeps crashing.

Oh I hope your computer meets the minimum requirements. There are some ways to tweek the settings to make SL run better. It does require a good graphics card. I hope you can get it to work!

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2007, 11:38 pm

Tequila wrote:

actually having more than a few hundred posts on WP declares the same thing.

Merle

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2007, 4:26 am

sinsboldly wrote:
actually having more than a few hundred posts on WP declares the same thing.

I'd dispute that. You can still post on here and have time to do other things. Using applications like Second Life says to me: I'm sick of the real world; I want to inhabit a fake one.

Thelostcup
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

31 Dec 2007, 3:06 pm

People on second life are horribly uptight.

I say something is being gay, banned from that area for intolerance.
I speak in spanish about my dog stepping in black paint and leaving tracks around the house, some chick picks up "negro" and bans me for racism.

That sort of s**t.

zendell
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2007, 7:37 pm

What kinds of people usually play Second Life as far as gender, age, etc? I looked at Sims and that game seems more like an online doll house. Second Life looks much better based on their website. I have to get a new video card and some more RAM before I can try it so that's why I'm asking instead of trying it out.

kxmode
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

01 Jan 2008, 1:10 am

I think this definition from Morpheus (The Matrix) sums up Second Life quite nicely.

"What is real? If real is what you can feel, smell, taste and see, then 'real' is simply electrical signals interpreted by your brain."

When you visit a location with other residents and converse with them either via type or voice (SL now has offers it) the combination of audio, visuals, and communication can produce results. Of course SL will never take the place of real life but it's most definitely a nice alternative. I can tell you that I've been to rave clubs in SL that felt almost like I was right there enjoying myself.

My advice would be to stay away from the welcome areas. They're full of residents whose only purpose in SL is to cause grief and misery to others.

The former things have passed away."

neurodeviant
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2008, 5:06 pm

I tried Second Life before, but it's just too jerky to be playable on my PC. If I had a faster internet connection and better graphics card, I may give it another try someday.