Fill in the Blank. Having Asperger's to me is like______.

Page 2 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

DivaD
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2007, 9:49 pm

s**t

i_Am_andaJoy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

30 Dec 2007, 10:18 pm

LeKiwi wrote:
i_Am_andaJoy wrote:
is like...

smu figd slurp jet 17 angry clams MIRA! ooooh purrrple. purr-meow bruise.

:D

I like you.

Thanks. :lol: i think the NT translation would be something like:

well, the thoughts sort of melt into each other and skip around too fast to completely congeal and describe in a language as paltry as English... but in the second after i read the question i thought-- hmmm, how to describe it? it is like a a "smu" taste, no, no that's not quite it, and agitation and fidgeting over this inability to speak it, which felt like a jammed fidget, hence "figd" and then i want to suck that up like a vaccum cleaner and start my thought over, but suck is like "slurp" which made me think, hmm, what would be yummy to eat? still while i was finishing the fidget thought, but also the desire to be more clear and free from my stupid brain, so "jet" was for flying away and also fidget, and then all the angry figety frustration was piling up to a LOT, at least to "17" so then i was like, oh yeah, i'm hungry, i could eat or slurp up 17 of something, but slurp is how people eat clams, and eww clams are gross, but i was also a detached and calm kind of angry, so i felt angry-calm, which made me think of murder, but calm murder, and then like alice and wonderland and they kill the oysters and slurp them up, so those thoughts were angry and calm and also eating clams and slurping and also being clamed up and mute and unable to get further than "angry clams" and this made me think of LOOK! at myself, so look at myself is more look+mirror, like the Spanish word for look, so that was "MIRA!" and so i yelled that in my head to slam the rest out with a scream-blow of wanting to punch myself, which sounded nce and comforting, like the purr of a cat and the clarity of pain put together, a purr and a bruise together, which was the relief and soothe of "ooooh purrrple" and then my brain was slow and calm enough to elaborate further, so "purr-meow bruise" and also meow feels like a question, like when the cats want their food, like tuna, but not clams, and plus an OW! of pain put together. and then the second ended, and i thought, well, yeah, that's exactly how it feels, smu figd slurp jet 17 angry clams MIRA! ooooh purrrple. purr-meow bruise.

CrushedPentagon
Raven
Raven

30 Dec 2007, 10:28 pm

You Fill in the Blank. Having Asperger's to me is like______

like having a job as a delivery driver. Every day, I am given directions on where to go relative to the starting point. So it might look like "go two blocks north, turn right, go one mile, turn left," etc.

EXCEPT...

every once in a while, not all the time, but maybe two or three times a week, there is a mistake or omission somewhere in my directions. Following them as given, I turn left intstead of right and end up in the wrong place. Somehow, it's always my fault for not being able to find my destination. Meanwhile, other drivers somehow always get to the right place in spite of occasionally getting wrong directions. It's like they have some GPS that I don't.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2007, 11:06 pm

Having Aspergers is like being Tom Hanks' character in "CastAway", only except one is socially outcasted just being for themselves.

Dunwich
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Dec 2007, 11:38 pm

Having Aspergers is like taking part in a puppet show in which everyone but me has the script, as part of some cruel inside-joke.

But as a trade-off, I get to see dozens if not hundreds of strings that everyone else seems to miss...

and that is beautiful.

-TMBG

IdahoAspie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2007, 11:41 pm

AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
Having Aspergers is like being Tom Hanks' character in "CastAway", only except one is socially outcasted just being for themselves.

I think it can be worse sometimes. Because you see people but you cannot communicate with them very well. At least in castaway he had an excuse to be isolated and anti-social.

Best,

Idaho Aspie
www.AllThingsAspergers.com

autism_diva
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

30 Dec 2007, 11:57 pm

Dunwich wrote:
Having Aspergers is like taking part in a puppet show in which everyone but me has the script, as part of some cruel inside-joke.

But as a trade-off, I get to see dozens if not hundreds of strings that everyone else seems to miss...

I think this one is pretty close to how I feel.

It also feels like doing a dance with a partner or not knowing the steps. It tends to make one step on the other's toes.

sort of like this.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2007, 1:46 am

CrushedPentagon wrote:
You Fill in the Blank. Having Asperger's to me is like______

like having a job as a delivery driver. Every day, I am given directions on where to go relative to the starting point. So it might look like "go two blocks north, turn right, go one mile, turn left," etc.

EXCEPT...

every once in a while, not all the time, but maybe two or three times a week, there is a mistake or omission somewhere in my directions. Following them as given, I turn left intstead of right and end up in the wrong place. Somehow, it's always my fault for not being able to find my destination. Meanwhile, other drivers somehow always get to the right place in spite of occasionally getting wrong directions. It's like they have some GPS that I don't.

Wow. You just summed up how I experience life.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

samsplanet
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Dec 2007, 4:28 am

Having Aspergers to me is like having an invisible person following me about. Sometimes she's helpful, others she's a pain in the bum he he

No-one else can see it, but they feel the effects if it touches them. They blame it on me though. In the UK aspergers is a childs condition- not a grown adults. So when I have an aspie day I'm a mentalist that needs medicating, not just needing leaving alone. nice.

Some days I am thankful for my AS- days when I shock people by remembering something in the archives of my head ('wow, you're like Rainman'. PMSL I DONT think), or coming up with a perspective no-one thought of before, or being able to talk to a 5 year old autistic or aspergic child when everyone else is shaking their heads in confusion...

lastcrazyhorn
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2007, 4:59 am

Prior to being diagnosed, I had a friend in undergrad who would describe my spastic moments like this:

"lastcrazyhorn, I think you have a hamster running on a hamster wheel in your brain, and every so often, the hamster jumps off and starts chewing on the wires."

Looking back at that now, I realize how wonderfully astute my friend was.

As for my definition, I say that having Asperger's Syndrome is like going through life with all of your colors named wrong and trying to then discuss art with people who just really don't understand why the sky is green.

BATMAN: I'll do everything I can to rehabilitate you.
CATWOMAN: Marry me.
BATMAN: Everything except that.

http://lastcrazyhorn.wordpress.com - "Odd One Out: Reality with a refreshing slice of aspie"

steff
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

31 Dec 2007, 7:11 am

aspergers to me is like a cloud, a grey fuzzyness that fades out thought, speach, interaction and sleep. because of this my head has to think twice as hard as others. however i like cloads, especially those fluffy white ones that move really quickly and spread out into nothing. thats when i can think properly and do better than others

steff x

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2007, 9:51 am

Asperger's is like being a cat. I follow my own agenda.

jjstar
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2007, 10:02 am

A traffic jam when you're already late
A no-smoking sign on your cigarette break
It's like ten thousand spoons when all you need is a knife
It's meeting the man of my dreams
And then meeting his beautiful wife
And isn't it ironic...don't you think
A little too ironic...and, yeah, I really do think...

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2007, 10:11 am

jjstar wrote:
A traffic jam when you're already late
A no-smoking sign on your cigarette break
It's like ten thousand spoons when all you need is a knife
It's meeting the man of my dreams
And then meeting his beautiful wife
And isn't it ironic...don't you think
A little too ironic...and, yeah, I really do think...

Amen to that.

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2007, 10:12 am

Being unable to trust other people. Especially those who seem to have nothing better to do other than provoking me.

Grimfaire
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Dec 2007, 12:30 pm

It's like having a map to the universe but for some reason you can never quite get where you're suppossed to go and when you get there you find out that they closed last tuesday.