Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

vetivert
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2005, 11:50 am

it's estimated that nearly 1000 people, mainly women and children, died during a stampede at a religious shrine in northern Baghdad.

the story is here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle ... 199618.stm

my thoughts go out to all the people affected by this appalling tragedy.

aspergian_mutant
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2005, 12:03 pm

Wow, now that is sad news, People are so terrified now days of even going on a pilgrimage, its a shame.
In some ways I am starting to think that all this terrorism and fear stuff will not go away until we ban religion all together, and that would be a sad day indeed.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2005, 5:28 pm

All the more reason that the radicals need to be crushed. They say that the reason why the crowd was that on-edge is that mortor shells were being fired near the mosque they were headed to - this was obviously more than just a sick and tradgic prank.

Hopefully, the more this turns into Suni vs. Shiite type violence, we may see some fatwas issued about these types of things as well as some much tougher laws against religious hate crimes starting in Iraq and hopefully spreading over the middle east in time. It seems like the way things are going, religious hatred has to be their number one priority and their most heavily punished offense.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

jmatucd
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

31 Aug 2005, 11:03 pm

Rest in Peace to the dead.

It seems the Sunnis need to be put back into their box... or this will conitnue. How sad.