Want info on possible cures for autism/AS?

Page 11 of 11 [ 176 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11

Want info on possible cures for autism/AS?
Yes - I'm interested 42%  42%  [ 30 ]
No - I'm NOT interested but its OK to post info 24%  24%  [ 17 ]
No - I'm NOT interested. Please don't post info 11%  11%  [ 8 ]
No - I find it offensive. I don't wanna see it 11%  11%  [ 8 ]
No - Don't ever post it. I hate you if you do 11%  11%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 71

AspieDave
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2008, 3:27 pm

LeKiwi wrote:

Quote:
I'm talking about evolution on a biological level... messing with DNA and genes and engineering them to our will.

Sorry, LeKiwi, but the day the first human intervened and allowed another human to survive long enough to reproduce with "less able" gene's, we've been messing with evolution at the biological level. Every time we treat a disease, and allow a person to survive to maturity, and breed, we've tampered with evolution at the biological level. This may, in some way, have an affect on the disease rates in later generations, cancer for instance. It's not going to stop me from advocating treatment for sick children, or that we should feed and house children who don't have anyone to take care of them. In a straight, "evolutionary" sense, they should be allowed to fade away and remove their gene's from the pot.... Humans have changed the rules, it doesn't mean evolution has stopped, it means we've made it MUCH more complicated.... we're good at that. :twisted:

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2008, 3:59 pm

AspieDave wrote:
LeKiwi wrote:

Quote:
I'm talking about evolution on a biological level... messing with DNA and genes and engineering them to our will.

Sorry, LeKiwi, but the day the first human intervened and allowed another human to survive long enough to reproduce with "less able" gene's, we've been messing with evolution at the biological level.

So, basically, as long as we've been human if not longer?

(Since, social species and all that...)

autism_diva
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

06 Jan 2008, 4:10 pm

zendell wrote:
This reminds me of something I read awhile ago. I read that some genetic disorders can be greatly reduced with nutrition. I think it's done in animals but not in humans because it would eliminate too many profitable diseases. The only example I remember is taking folic acid during pregnancy greatly reduces the chance of spina bifida. Anyone know if it's true that taking nutrients during pregnancy reduces genetic disorders?

Yeah, and there's another geneticist who thinks that supplementing with folate in the US has caused, that is CAUSED what he thinks is an increase in autism.

Supplementing with too much Folic acid and methyl b12 can CAUSE cancer. Cause it. Monkeying around with high doses of vitamins is stupid and this is exactly what DAN! and ARI have been doing for years, and they have hurt autistic children with it. There may be a big increase in cancer in autistic children if it's true that methyl B12 can increase the rate of some cancers by switching off tumor suppressor genes.

The votes seem to be against people posting info on cures here. At least so far. Treatments are one thing, DAN! quack garbage is totally another thing. It can be dangerous, especially to small children.

AspieDave
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2008, 4:19 pm

Too much of ANYTHING can be deadly. Too much oxygen for too long a period harms. Too much water consumed over a short enough period of time will kill you. Too much sex can cause a heart attack... not that I'd consider that a BAD thing....

TLPG
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2008, 4:19 pm

Welcome back, Diva! :)

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2008, 4:24 pm

autism_diva wrote:
zendell wrote:
This reminds me of something I read awhile ago. I read that some genetic disorders can be greatly reduced with nutrition. I think it's done in animals but not in humans because it would eliminate too many profitable diseases. The only example I remember is taking folic acid during pregnancy greatly reduces the chance of spina bifida. Anyone know if it's true that taking nutrients during pregnancy reduces genetic disorders?

Yeah, and there's another geneticist who thinks that supplementing with folate in the US has caused, that is CAUSED what he thinks is an increase in autism.

Very true, folic acid is a very iffy one. I think the biggest problem lies in the way so many manufacturers add it to foods now; milk, juice, now in the UK there's talk of it being compulsory to add it to bread!! Taking it in a prescribed dose during pregnancy is probably fine, but when you add it to food as well it leads to overconsumption, especially bearing in mind that it's a synthetic form.

Some vitamins are fine in high doses; Vitamin C, for example, in high doses is very effective at boosting the immune system. B17 (from apricot kernels) has been used as an extremely effective cancer treatment. Vitamin D from the sun (or D3 in monitored supplement form) is one of the most potent healing vitamins there are and brilliant at preventing most illnesses.

beau99
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2008, 4:34 pm

LeKiwi wrote:
Vitamin D from the sun (or D3 in monitored supplement form) is one of the most potent healing vitamins there are and brilliant at preventing most illnesses.

I take a vitamin D supplement (due to the fact that I don't get in the sun much due to light sensitivity), and it says plainly on the bottle to NEVER go over so much a day, or it will cause harm.

Twitter: http://twitter.com/agenderstar

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2008, 6:16 pm

beau99 wrote:
LeKiwi wrote:
Vitamin D from the sun (or D3 in monitored supplement form) is one of the most potent healing vitamins there are and brilliant at preventing most illnesses.

I take a vitamin D supplement (due to the fact that I don't get in the sun much due to light sensitivity), and it says plainly on the bottle to NEVER go over so much a day, or it will cause harm.

What supplement do you take? You're right, you need to be very careful with it... basically the rule is as follows:

Get your Vitamin D3 levels checked by your doctor, and take only D3 supplements (D2 isn't good for you and is very easy to OD on), and then get them monitored every couple of months to make sure you aren't ODing on them. (That's what I meant by 'monitored supplement form').

BUT

If you get it from the sun (not easy in winter) then you can't OD on it, as a general rule. The trick is to go into the sun for 10mins at a time and expose at least half your body to the sunlight. That's not through glass as the specific UV rays don't pass through it, and without any moisturisers or sunblocks or anything on your skin; you have to be in direct light. Then, before you start going pink, go into the shade for 10mins or so and let your body absorb it - the Vit D forms on the skin, then gets absorbs in the shade. When you start to go pink, it's burning off, rendering the whole exercise pointless. You can repeat it as often as you like, but just don't burn. Obviously.

Hope that helps!! :)

autism_diva
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

07 Jan 2008, 1:03 am

TLPG wrote:
Welcome back, Diva! :)

Thanks. :D I've been working on a video about the Autism Hub for a conference that will be soon... Like Tuesday I think... in San Diego. I won't be there, but my video will be (so long as all goes as planned). Kevin Leitch made one, too and I think "Dad of Cameron" will contribute one, too.

It's my first "presentation" at a conference. I think more autistic people could "speak" at conferences if organizers were willing to let them participate via instant messaging, live video conferencing, speaking by telephone, or whatever. It can be very daunting for an ASD person to get to a conference in person, expenses being only part of the problem.

Ambuend and some others participated in a conference that was all done in IRC (I think that's the term). Anyway it was like a "chat room" and people in the audience asked them questions and they typed in answers which were displayed on a big screen at the conference site.

autism_diva
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

07 Jan 2008, 1:22 am

LeKiwi wrote:
autism_diva wrote:
zendell wrote:

Very true, folic acid is a very iffy one. I think the biggest problem lies in the way so many manufacturers add it to foods now; milk, juice, now in the UK there's talk of it being compulsory to add it to bread!! Taking it in a prescribed dose during pregnancy is probably fine, but when you add it to food as well it leads to overconsumption, especially bearing in mind that it's a synthetic form.

Some vitamins are fine in high doses; Vitamin C, for example, in high doses is very effective at boosting the immune system. B17 (from apricot kernels) has been used as an extremely effective cancer treatment. Vitamin D from the sun (or D3 in monitored supplement form) is one of the most potent healing vitamins there are and brilliant at preventing most illnesses.

From what I have read, the way that folic acid prevents some kinds of spina bifida (apparently the most common kind) is by methylating genes (switching them off).

Folic acid (folate) and b12, especially methylb12 are methylating vitamins. If one has too little of them in ones diet one can get sick, and one can have a baby with a neural tube defect. From what I understand the numbers of babies born with SB in the states has dropped significantly since folic acid was added to all flour and bread products.

There is some concern that there could be generational fallout from this, it may be entirely speculative, but there are at least a few doctors who wonder if there will be higher rates of cancer and schizophrenia as a result of people eating this extra folic acid (and keep in mind this is not a massive dose at all, it's just constant because of the supplemention) and just about everyone in the states is eating bread and so forth that is supplemented.

Now, there are some parents of autistic kids who are injecting them with very high doses of MethylB12 every day, or more often every three days. These are huge doses compared to what the kids would get even from the typical diet with store bought flour products.

There is evidence that this is a good way to switch off tumor suppressor genes. Even one of the "inventors" of this "protocol" compares the B12 injections a "sledgehammer" on the methylation pathway. I heard her say it with my own ears. She said it at a conference I was at.

I have said this to people who are doing it to their kids and to the brother of one of the quacks who is promoting it and they just blow it off and ignore it. They don't deny that this is what the research shows. They just believe in the stuff and keep doing it regardless of what the long term consequences are.

I gave my dog vitamin C for a hip problem (according to some dosing I got off the Internet). this was about 5 years ago. I think I gave my dog bladder stones. Dogs don't need vitamin C in their diet, most animals (except guinea pigs, and humans...) make their own vitamin C. I don't know if it was the vitamin C that did it, but I regret not checking it out with a vet before I did it.

I like the information from the Linus Pauling Institute. http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/ It seems to be very solidly based and not leaning toward crazed uses of vitamins, even though Linus Pauling himself seems to have gone of the deep end a bit about Vitamin C...

Speaking of which, I wonder if he was on the spectrum?

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2008, 3:16 am

I don't know enough about him to say, but I wonder about a lot of these scholars to be honest.

As for Vitamin C... I don't know, I'd be wary about giving it to any animals (bar guinea pigs obviously) as they do produce their own. As for people, I've used it in really high doses as soon as I get the first sign of a cold/flu and if I get it in time, it's always either stopped it coming on altogether, or massively reduced the symptoms. I usually take up to about 8,000mg in the first couple of days and I've not had any problems. If you're taking too much you'll get errr... 'loose bowels' anyway, so as long as you stop taking it if that happens you're unlikely to OD and you shouldn't have any real problems.

zendell
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2008, 1:06 pm

autism_diva wrote:
Now, there are some parents of autistic kids who are injecting them with very high doses of MethylB12 every day, or more often every three days. These are huge doses compared to what the kids would get even from the typical diet with store bought flour products.

There is evidence that this is a good way to switch off tumor suppressor genes. Even one of the "inventors" of this "protocol" compares the B12 injections a "sledgehammer" on the methylation pathway. I heard her say it with my own ears. She said it at a conference I was at.

Hey AutismDiva. I take 1mg of sublingual methylB12 every day which is 16,670% of the RDA. Do you think that is too much? I know they make 5mg methylB12 tablets so I'm only taking 1/5th of that. I don't notice any effects from it. I take it to increase glutathione to help get rid of mercury.

beau99
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2008, 5:58 pm

zendell wrote:
autism_diva wrote:

Hey AutismDiva. I take 1mg of sublingual methylB12 every day which is 16,670% of the RDA. Do you think that is too much? I know they make 5mg methylB12 tablets so I'm only taking 1/5th of that. I don't notice any effects from it. I take it to increase glutathione to help get rid of mercury.

Yes, that's too much!

All three forms of b-12 contain cyanide as a binding agent. You are basically giving yourself a slow, painful death.

Twitter: http://twitter.com/agenderstar

AspergianSuperstar
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Jan 2011, 4:54 pm

Hello

I find this thread very interesting, this comment was well informed

"Some vitamins are fine in high doses; Vitamin C, for example, in high doses is very effective at boosting the immune system. B17 (from apricot kernels) has been used as an extremely effective cancer treatment. Vitamin D from the sun (or D3 in monitored supplement form) is one of the most potent healing vitamins there are and brilliant at preventing most illnesses."

from what I remember B17 is laetrile and I have heard all that before, It is true that the body absorbs more vitamin C when infection goes on, I take 1 Gram per day sometimes, but unless you have infection 500mg per day is probably fine. It can cause diarrhoea itself and due to the sorbitol in it this can be very severe say if 5000mg was taken in one sitting.

Because it is largely water soluble if you take more than a gram per day you are wasting your money. However t is toxic at very high doses.

regarding vitamin B12, it comes in 3 forms - cyanocobalamine, hydroxycobalamine and methylcobalamine. Methylcobalamine is required by some pathways, it is more lipophilic than hydroxycobalamine meaning it should enter the brain [or more freely] and it is known to persist for longer.

I don't think the cyano [from cyanide] group is found in hydrocobalamine [pretty sure as hydroxycobalamine is used in cases of cyanide overdosage]

I also don't think it is found in methylcobal;amine- I will need to check now that you said that because I don't want myself or others to be poisoned by cyanide. I have produced it before accidentally and its effects weren't pleasant-chemistry experiment.

will get back to this later,

Unless one has been done already a dose finding study needs to be done.

pgd
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2011, 6:04 pm

Am not aware of cures for autism / Asperger's at all. There are accounts involving ADHD and epilepsy where the right medicine can temporarily reduce symptoms a lot which, in a few cases, is pretty close to a temporary cure in a way but it is not a permanent cure at all. Examples - for ADHD are: the How To (understand) Hyperactivity book (1981) about ADHD Inattentive by C. Thomas Wild (Tirend, NoDoz, Bonine)(not a cure) - examples for epilepsy are - the A Remarkable Medicine Has Been Overlooked book by Jack Dreyfus (Dilantin)(not a cure) and the Nerves In Collision book by Walter C. Alvarez, M.D. (Dilantin)(not a cure).

AspergianSuperstar
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Jan 2011, 8:13 am

Regarding epilepsy

Has anyone else came across Pyridoxal -5'-phosphate [PLP] in treating epilepsy?
I have heard of a paediatrician using it and seen it in a hospital, it is an unlicensed product in the UK meaning it doesn't have a uk product license. - its basically vitamin B6, the form found in food but it will taste very bad.

It is in some supplements [the one I took was Serotone 5HTP] but this had other things like tryptophan in it as well.

the thing I am interested in is parenteral vitamins such as Pabrinex, to see if that will help - I am not sure if it will help or not, it is used in Wernickes Encephalopathy or where this may occur due to alcohol abuse. Wernickes and Brocas are the areas of the brain I understand are associated with speech etcso these injectable vitamins should hopefully improve language development. Would want another medical professional to comment. [one who has researched this a bit more in depth] It is possible then that alcohol may have a detrimental effect on Aspergers/Autism, possibly also epilepsy.

Has anyone seen either Pyridoxal 5' phosphate, vitamin B6 [in another form] or pabrinex [or anything else interesting] being used to treat autism or epilepsy or any other neurological condition?