Want info on possible cures for autism/AS?

Page 9 of 11 [ 176 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Want info on possible cures for autism/AS?
Yes - I'm interested 42%  42%  [ 30 ]
No - I'm NOT interested but its OK to post info 24%  24%  [ 17 ]
No - I'm NOT interested. Please don't post info 11%  11%  [ 8 ]
No - I find it offensive. I don't wanna see it 11%  11%  [ 8 ]
No - Don't ever post it. I hate you if you do 11%  11%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 71

Touretter
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Jan 2008, 1:28 pm

AspieDave wrote:
And in a semi-serious response... refer back to my post on the other thread that WASN'T trying to be funny. Science is fairly straightforward. There is no basis for "curing" a genetic condition OTHER than extensive gene therapy. It does not exist. It MAY not exist for decades... if ever. Religious fanatics have done their best to stop it, in several countries. In the US they've virtually succeeded. Autism is in your gene's folks. Just like your skin color... or your hair color... or your sex. Unless you can change any of THOSE, don't expect to change Autism.
Actually one can change one's sex. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sex_reassignment_surgery

tmad40blue
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Jan 2008, 1:41 pm

Actually, that makes for an extremely good analogy - you can always die your hair a different colour, but you cannot change the colour that it grows. Same with an ASD - you can take all sorts of awful drugs to try to feel what you call "normal", but you can't get rid of your own genes.

Does that make any sense?

AspieDave
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2008, 4:29 pm

[b]Touretter wrote:[b]

Quote:
Actually one can change one's sex. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sex_reassignment_surgery

One can change the cosmetic, and the "gross anatomy" through surgery. However, surgery cannot take a male, and create a female with functional ovaries and a uterus. Or change that person's sex chromosomes from XY to XX. Nor can it do the reverse and take a female and create a male who's testes will produce sperm. Yes, we can change the external. We can change appearance. Science cannot change the basic genetic structure of the person. Not yet. Possibly not ever. 8)

zendell
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2008, 4:51 pm

AspieDave wrote:
Science cannot change the basic genetic structure of the person. Not yet. Possibly not ever.)

I read somewhere that viruses can cause genes to mutate. Maybe they could create a virus that alters genes in good ways? Note: I don't think they should do this to treat autism.

AspieDave
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2008, 4:57 pm

It's called gene therapy, and it's virtually at a standstill in the United States, since we've been turned into the neoFascist States of America. It's a technology that works only marginally at best, at this time. People have died in several of the trials that were done, and they still don't understand why, in every case. Manipulating the genetic structure is dangerous. Manipulating the genetic structure AFTER the gross anatomy has formed, would be minimally effective, if at all. I think Sedaka or Odin already pointed that out.

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2008, 4:58 pm

The very idea makes me shudder... ugh. Not because of the 'curing autism' thing, but just the concept in general. When will man realise that he isn't God?

AspieDave
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2008, 5:09 pm

LeKiwi wrote:

Quote:
he very idea makes me shudder... ugh. Not because of the 'curing autism' thing, but just the concept in general. When will man realise that he isn't God?

Never. Sorry, but that's my personal view. The arrogance of "man" is astounding...

On the OTHER hand... IF gene therapy was viable, and you could take a person with metastasized cancer, inject them with a tailored virus that would seek out the genetic code of their cancer cells ONLY and replace key sections of the gene's, causing the cells to die....

No radiation, no chemical poisons, no surgery... just a virus that only kills the cancer cells...

Or a virus that rewrites the genetic structure in a child's lungs who has Cystic Fibrosis, so they stop choking to death on their own secretions....

The technology has PROMISE, it also has dangers. WILL it ever work? Maybe.. someday.

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2008, 5:11 pm

Haha that makes me shudder too! Have you seen I Am Legend? The film is about that concept and it's absolutely terrifying. (Fantastic film though, worth seeing).

AspieDave
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2008, 5:22 pm

LeKiwi wrote:

Quote:
Haha that makes me shudder too! Have you seen I Am Legend? The film is about that concept and it's absolutely terrifying. (Fantastic film though, worth seeing).

Thanks for the offer but I'll have to pass... I abhor horror movies, and I read the original book more than once. That was enough for me. The book had nothing to do with genetic engineering though, it was written back in the '50s... wait, 1954 according to a posting on google. It's been years, but if it was referred to at all I think he just called it a plague. The concept's been repeated many times, a disease, natural or manufactured gets out of hand and wipes out most or all of humanity. If you thought the movie was scary, check into the poor security the former USSR countries keep on some of the old biowar labs. And then think about how many crazy people there are in the world...

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2008, 5:26 pm

I know, it's awful. I didn't realise it was based on a book. In the film it goes that they've taken the measles virus and changed part of its DNA so that it works to kill cancer, and has had a 100% success rate in all 10,000 people tested on. But then they turn into light-fearing zombie mutant things that eat people, or just kills them... guess you know the rest. But it's a great film, just very atmospheric and very harrowing to watch. Will Smith is fantastic in it.
(I guess a similar one if you can get hold of it is an old New Zealand film from the 1980's called The Quiet Earth... it's a bit dated now but absolutely brilliant if you can find it).

Edit: url added

Phagocyte
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2008, 8:30 pm

zendell wrote:
AspieDave wrote:
Science cannot change the basic genetic structure of the person. Not yet. Possibly not ever.)

I read somewhere that viruses can cause genes to mutate. Maybe they could create a virus that alters genes in good ways? Note: I don't think they should do this to treat autism.

Zendell is correct, some viruses (temperate phages) can alter genes by coding it's own genetic code onto the host cell's chromosome (the lysogenic cycle). This way, it allows itself to be subtly reproduced with the host reproduction without having to destroy the host cell (the lytic cycle).

LeKiwi wrote:
The very idea makes me shudder... ugh. Not because of the 'curing autism' thing, but just the concept in general. When will man realise that he isn't God?

I disagree. Why should we as a species hold ourselves back based on vague notions of morality? If we have the intellectual ability and capacity to do great things, I feel that it's not only not "playing God," but our duty as a species. Gene therapy and genetic modification is fascinating. Research in these areas have the potential to really advance humanity.

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2008, 8:39 pm

At what cost?

In the words of Kahlil Gibran,

"Wisdom ceases to be wisdom when it becomes too proud to weep, too grave to laugh, and too self-ful to seek other than itself".

Phagocyte
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2008, 9:11 pm

LeKiwi wrote:
At what cost?

In the words of Kahlil Gibran,

"Wisdom ceases to be wisdom when it becomes too proud to weep, too grave to laugh, and too self-ful to seek other than itself".

If we are kind, responsible and ethical, why would their be a cost? Why does every genetic researcher have to be a mad scientist?

To paraphrase Carl Sagan, science is only dangerous when we accept it's products but neglect it's methods.

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2008, 9:12 pm

Because playing God with DNA IS mad science.

Phagocyte
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2008, 9:13 pm

LeKiwi wrote:
Because playing God with DNA IS mad science.

That's your opinion, but mark my words, this research will lead to great things. Lives could be saved by making people less prone to genetic deficits. It could help a lot of people.

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2008, 9:14 pm

Well, that's just my opinion, as you say. But it won't change, no matter how well you mean.

I believe nature is perfect; there's no need to change things.