Want info on possible cures for autism/AS?

Page 10 of 11 [ 176 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Want info on possible cures for autism/AS?
Yes - I'm interested 42%  42%  [ 30 ]
No - I'm NOT interested but its OK to post info 24%  24%  [ 17 ]
No - I'm NOT interested. Please don't post info 11%  11%  [ 8 ]
No - I find it offensive. I don't wanna see it 11%  11%  [ 8 ]
No - Don't ever post it. I hate you if you do 11%  11%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 71

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2008, 8:03 am

Odin wrote:
LeKiwi wrote:
I believe nature is perfect; there's no need to change things.

Anyone knowledgeable in biology knows that is a load of crap. life is full of Rude Goldberg machines that are only there because living creatures were evolved, not engineered. living things can be greatly improved with good engineering.

See, but I think evolution is beautiful. Really beautiful. And yes, I do know biology. So that's your opinion, whereas my opinion is different. We aren't God, we should stop messing around with it... again, humans looking at the short rather than long-term consequences.

And yes Zendell, nutrition can play a HUGE role in reducing the effects of so many different diseases. That's half our problem; people these days have generally strayed so far from our natural diet we were designed to eat that they don't get the right nutrients in the right proportions, then when something goes wrong want a band-aid pill to fix it rather than considering that perhaps if they ate the right foods instead of all this processed rubbish most people primarily eat they could start healing the root cause of things...

Sedaka
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2008, 11:21 am

you can roll with saying nature is perfect... but then we have really modified nature for a subset of ourselves, havent we? thus making it harder for others.

in no way implying there is motive in nature... that things were designed... but the full variety is a perfectly natural thing

got free science papers?

www.pubmed.gov
www.sciencedirect.com
http://highwire.stanford.edu/lists/freeart.dtl

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

06 Jan 2008, 11:50 am

LeKiwi wrote:
LeKiwi wrote:
I believe nature is perfect; there's no need to change things.
I think evolution is beautiful. Really beautiful. And yes, I do know biology. So that's your opinion, whereas my opinion is different. We aren't God, we should stop messing around with it..

We can't. We change the course of evolution just by having learned behaviours, by structuring our society in certain ways. Humans exert environmental pressures on their own species, and many others too obviously, with every social engineering scheme, with every structure that favours the successful reproduction of one group over another, with wars, and slum clearance, with treatment for that phenylalanine illness diagnosed at birth, with every plane flight across oceans, with every invention.

To stop messing with evolution we would have had to remain monkeys.

8)

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2008, 12:51 pm

I'm talking about evolution on a biological level... messing with DNA and genes and engineering them to our will.

Sedaka
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2008, 1:00 pm

LeKiwi wrote:
I'm talking about evolution on a biological level... messing with DNA and genes and engineering them to our will.

sadly, we can only deduce how things work by breaking them.

got free science papers?

www.pubmed.gov
www.sciencedirect.com
http://highwire.stanford.edu/lists/freeart.dtl

Phagocyte
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2008, 1:03 pm

LeKiwi wrote:

ALL evolution occurs on a biological level. If there is a God, perhaps he intended for us to one day alter genes by endowing us with the intelligence to do so.

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2008, 2:11 pm

LeKiwi wrote:
See, but I think evolution is beautiful. Really beautiful. And yes, I do know biology. So that's your opinion, whereas my opinion is different. We aren't God, we should stop messing around with it... again, humans looking at the short rather than long-term consequences.

Humans have been "playing God" since our species began. We use culture and technology to modify our environment to make it habitable. Many primitive societies used fire to make grassland areas more biologically productive and thus have more large mammals to hunt. In pre-Columbian Amazonia there were societies that actively engineered the soil with a kind of artificial soil called terra preta.

I have no use for you bioconservatives and your superstitions about how "playing God" is a bad thing. You are entitled to your own opinions but you are not entitled to your own facts.

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2008, 2:12 pm

Sedaka wrote:
LeKiwi wrote:

I'm getting the feeling LeKiwi doesn't really understand biology.

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2008, 2:44 pm

Odin wrote:
Sedaka wrote:
LeKiwi wrote:

I'm getting the feeling LeKiwi doesn't really understand biology.

I'm getting the feeling Odin is making false statements about people he doesn't know once again.

ed
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2008, 2:50 pm

I voted yes... anyone who wouldn't want info seems to me to be somewhat close-minded.

If a lot of people objected to the info, links could be used instead. But we're a large community now - 15,756 different people - and probably a lot of them would be interested in this info...

...just my opinion, for whatever it's worth... I can't even see a problem. I assume Alex has a disclaimer somewhere in the fine print... after all, his father is a lawyer :D

AspieDave
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2008, 3:27 pm

LeKiwi wrote:

Quote:

Sorry, LeKiwi, but the day the first human intervened and allowed another human to survive long enough to reproduce with "less able" gene's, we've been messing with evolution at the biological level. Every time we treat a disease, and allow a person to survive to maturity, and breed, we've tampered with evolution at the biological level. This may, in some way, have an affect on the disease rates in later generations, cancer for instance. It's not going to stop me from advocating treatment for sick children, or that we should feed and house children who don't have anyone to take care of them. In a straight, "evolutionary" sense, they should be allowed to fade away and remove their gene's from the pot.... Humans have changed the rules, it doesn't mean evolution has stopped, it means we've made it MUCH more complicated.... we're good at that. :twisted:

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2008, 3:59 pm

AspieDave wrote:
LeKiwi wrote:

Quote:

Sorry, LeKiwi, but the day the first human intervened and allowed another human to survive long enough to reproduce with "less able" gene's, we've been messing with evolution at the biological level.

So, basically, as long as we've been human if not longer?

(Since, social species and all that...)

autism_diva
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

06 Jan 2008, 4:10 pm

zendell wrote:
This reminds me of something I read awhile ago. I read that some genetic disorders can be greatly reduced with nutrition. I think it's done in animals but not in humans because it would eliminate too many profitable diseases. The only example I remember is taking folic acid during pregnancy greatly reduces the chance of spina bifida. Anyone know if it's true that taking nutrients during pregnancy reduces genetic disorders?

Yeah, and there's another geneticist who thinks that supplementing with folate in the US has caused, that is CAUSED what he thinks is an increase in autism.

Supplementing with too much Folic acid and methyl b12 can CAUSE cancer. Cause it. Monkeying around with high doses of vitamins is stupid and this is exactly what DAN! and ARI have been doing for years, and they have hurt autistic children with it. There may be a big increase in cancer in autistic children if it's true that methyl B12 can increase the rate of some cancers by switching off tumor suppressor genes.

The votes seem to be against people posting info on cures here. At least so far. Treatments are one thing, DAN! quack garbage is totally another thing. It can be dangerous, especially to small children.

AspieDave
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2008, 4:19 pm

Too much of ANYTHING can be deadly. Too much oxygen for too long a period harms. Too much water consumed over a short enough period of time will kill you. Too much sex can cause a heart attack... not that I'd consider that a BAD thing....

TLPG
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2008, 4:19 pm

Welcome back, Diva! :)

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2008, 4:24 pm

autism_diva wrote:
zendell wrote:
This reminds me of something I read awhile ago. I read that some genetic disorders can be greatly reduced with nutrition. I think it's done in animals but not in humans because it would eliminate too many profitable diseases. The only example I remember is taking folic acid during pregnancy greatly reduces the chance of spina bifida. Anyone know if it's true that taking nutrients during pregnancy reduces genetic disorders?

Yeah, and there's another geneticist who thinks that supplementing with folate in the US has caused, that is CAUSED what he thinks is an increase in autism.

Very true, folic acid is a very iffy one. I think the biggest problem lies in the way so many manufacturers add it to foods now; milk, juice, now in the UK there's talk of it being compulsory to add it to bread!! Taking it in a prescribed dose during pregnancy is probably fine, but when you add it to food as well it leads to overconsumption, especially bearing in mind that it's a synthetic form.

Some vitamins are fine in high doses; Vitamin C, for example, in high doses is very effective at boosting the immune system. B17 (from apricot kernels) has been used as an extremely effective cancer treatment. Vitamin D from the sun (or D3 in monitored supplement form) is one of the most potent healing vitamins there are and brilliant at preventing most illnesses.