Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

coyote
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

03 Jan 2008, 5:23 pm

and what is success after all ? i'm paid 100k a year.... but didn't have a single hug since many months....

Kitsy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

03 Jan 2008, 5:25 pm

coyote wrote:
weirdness is not held against womens

uh huh. I wish that were the case.

xx Dan Monster

Kitsy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

03 Jan 2008, 5:27 pm

coyote wrote:
and what is success after all ? i'm paid 100k a year.... but didn't have a single hug since many months....

you are successful.

You can be successful and not have alot of money too. I'm guessing it's the standard formula of what success is considered as it stands right now. America is obsessed with fame and money. If you have any of those you are successful.

On an individual basis, you can have a decent life, not be famous and be successful

xx Dan Monster

coyote
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

03 Jan 2008, 5:27 pm

Quote:
coyote wrote:

i should have said "less" instead of "not"....

Kitsy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

03 Jan 2008, 5:31 pm

coyote wrote:
Quote:
coyote wrote:

i should have said "less" instead of "not"....

Still not sure about that. It's okay though. I won't nit pick, I've learned a looonnng time ago how annoying that can be. I will however tell you based on my experience, I've always been the outsider and treated accordingly. Not sure other female's experiences and I won't speak for them.

I am actually curious about this subject because so far from what I've read on these boards, females and males have difficulties but not always in the same area but then some do have them in the same areas.

It doesn't mean one gets it more or less, we both get it.

xx Dan Monster

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2008, 6:34 pm

What about Ray Davies, of The Kinks?

angelgirl1224
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2008, 6:37 pm

it could just be that less females are diagnosed than males.
xx

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2008, 6:57 pm

Kitsy wrote:
coyote wrote:

you are successful.

You can be successful and not have alot of money too. I'm guessing it's the standard formula of what success is considered as it stands right now. America is obsessed with fame and money. If you have any of those you are successful.

On an individual basis, you can have a decent life, not be famous and be successful

Well, I make 6 figures also! You had a hug a few months ago from someone you cared about? :evil: I didn't. :cry:

I don't really consider myself a success. SURE, I make an above average living, and do my job extraordinarily well, and I think that mentally I do pretty well. I ALSO feel young at heart, and pieces are FINALLY falling into place. Still, the lack of friends and family makes me shy away from claims of being successful. 8-(

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2008, 9:50 pm

Like the falling angel and others, I'm trying to see why people who have recognition are deemed as successful; recognition itself is a social construct, so I cannot see why someone who is socially impaired really cares for such success other than trying to fit in by compensation.

My father is successful if we use social and vocational achievements; he married, had children, and works.

Albeit, he's as high-functioning as someone can get with AS, but he still has it.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2008, 11:08 pm

Danielismyname wrote:
Like the falling angel and others, I'm trying to see why people who have recognition are deemed as successful; recognition itself is a social construct, so I cannot see why someone who is socially impaired really cares for such success other than trying to fit in by compensation.

My father is successful if we use social and vocational achievements; he married, had children, and works.

Albeit, he's as high-functioning as someone can get with AS, but he still has it.

You have a point. "success" SHOULD be how you YOURSELF achieve the necessary goals, and those you view as important! Of course, one that hasn't done anything to get where they are isn't really successful, as THEY didn't achieve it.

And HOW could anyone use Temple Grandin or Donna Williams to support a notion of how there are obviously so many more successful female autistics than male? They wrote about their life, and based books, talks, and other media about it. WHOOPIE! Some carnival workers do the same. Look at that wolf boy!

BESIDES, I will probably never be famous outside of those that know me, or have heard from people that do. That doesn't make me any less successful. I don't consider myself a success, but some others DO!

I could tell you I make $80 billion a year, and who is to call me a liar? There isn't really any way you could prove me wrong. BTW I never claimed to make that, and would easily quit my current contract if I had even .01% of that, but I wanted to make a point.

Still, outside of my credit report, and a few involved with paying me, there is nothing to prove I even get paid half of what I am. I could buy a porshe, but drive a cheap old car. I could buy a nice rolex, but don't even wear a timex. My whole days wardrobe, shoes included, is worth about $130.

I have known people that make a small FRACTION of what I do, that may NEVER really be known. Still, I consider THEM successful. I know some that have made millions that I don't consider successful. Some of them would even tell you the same!

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2008, 4:29 am

just nice to know that aspies and auties are doing well for themselves and proving to society that it is possible for people on the spectrum to be successful at things.

MsBehaviour
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

Basshead
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2008, 8:51 pm

I meant as in famous aspies.
I didn't really think it through before starting the topic. Sorry about that. :oops:

I'm a hypochondriac. Please don't kill me.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2008, 10:59 pm

coyote wrote:

oh, of course not. weirdness is never held against women. They aren't called ret*d and crazy ol' lady, and that old b***h down the street that schreeches at you and waves her broom when the music is too loud. They are never sudiously avoided because they tend to wear the same clothing for some time as they loathe the cold that comes from scrimping on heat and not wanting to take them off to get into hot water for showers and malnutrition from forgetting to feed herself. And above all they aren't ostrisized from familys that have no understanding of the depth of their weirdness.

forgive me, the sarcasm is not at you, coyote. It is at how the weirdness is held against womens.

Merle

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2008, 10:42 am

Roger Bannister

As a child, he felt like an outcast because he was studious and was not good at team sports, like rugby. He was a good runner and that helped him gain a sense of belonging. He was very intelligent, with a good memory for facts, which helped him rise to the top of his class in medical school and helped him become a top neurologist.

He was also successful in life, marrying artist Moyra Jacobssen. They had four children and 14 grandchildren.

Bannister's life is a source of inspiration for me. I will never become a top athlete but, like Bannister, I found a sense of place. For him, acceptance came through running. For me, it came as a result of being on a Siamese cat site. My love of cats helped me find many like-minded people.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2008, 1:59 pm

Quote:
I meant as in famous aspies.
I didn't really think it through before starting the topic. Sorry about that.

These have all had successfulness and fame in specific things:
Whatshisname [forgotten it] from the vines [aspie]
Stephen Wiltshire [autie]
George Barry [aspie] infamous more than famous.
Luke Jackson [aspie]
Tito Mukhopadhyay [autie]

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!