Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2008, 4:15 pm

What is the best way to get "connections" in college when it comes to getting a job after graduation?

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

hyperbolic
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2008, 4:23 pm

The best way would be one in which your college has an arrangement with a nearby company for students to intern there as a part of their graduation requirements. Incidentally, I am enrolled in a program with such an arrangement--with a hospital. My program adviser said that 100% of the people who did the internship were hired by the hospital.

Other ways I am not sure of. Official programs such as the one above and perhaps other kinds of co-op arrangements would probably work best. Word of mouth is harder, but in a tight-knit program with some local industry, such as attending college in Texas besides a major oil field, might offer more opportunities just because it's hard not to be unnoticed as a graduate in your particular field.

Internships for liberal arts majors are few and far between, unfortunately.

Griff7272
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Jan 2008, 4:26 pm

I'd say make friends with a teacher somehow.

Some people say "join a club or professional organization" but that only works if you actually associate with the people involved in the club. The clubs can be a way to buddy up to your teachers though.

Another way is to find internet forums with alumni from your school. (sports related is the easiest) Find a way to become a regular on there and hit them up for job info.

Zsazsa
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2008, 7:49 pm

Most colleges and universities have a career and job placement center...such places are designed to help students find a job after graduation.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2008, 5:59 pm

hyperbolic wrote:
The best way would be one in which your college has an arrangement with a nearby company for students to intern there as a part of their graduation requirements. Incidentally, I am enrolled in a program with such an arrangement--with a hospital. My program adviser said that 100% of the people who did the internship were hired by the hospital.

Other ways I am not sure of. Official programs such as the one above and perhaps other kinds of co-op arrangements would probably work best. Word of mouth is harder, but in a tight-knit program with some local industry, such as attending college in Texas besides a major oil field, might offer more opportunities just because it's hard not to be unnoticed as a graduate in your particular field.

Internships for liberal arts majors are few and far between, unfortunately.

Interesting that you should mention oil fields, because there is a huge oil field near my school that spans several counties in Texas and Oklahoma. Oil drilling services constitute half the businesses of Jacksboro, Texas (a town of about 4,000 about 50 miles west of Fort Worth).

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

maritimeblaze17
Raven
Raven

06 Jan 2008, 11:32 am

1. Your college most certainly has an alumni database of people who work in various companies. Send them your resume.

2. Your peers in your grade also may have connections to which you can pass your resume.

3. Your college career center might have employers who come to campus to interview students. Take advantage of that.