where can an adult find Asperger's aware psychologists?

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Elwin
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 Jan 2008, 5:36 pm

where can an adult find Asperger's aware psychologists?
I live in the San Francisco Bay Area, and my sister who has a masters degree in psychology says I have Asperger'es but I need to be assessed.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2008, 6:14 pm

Thank you Elwin for starting this thread. It will be interesting to know who on the West Coast does such assessments.

and welcome to WP! :wtg:

Merle

JCJC777
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Jan 2008, 8:05 pm

try www.coachingasperger.com - excellent

AspieDave
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2008, 8:33 pm

If you're in the SF Bay area wouldn't one of the first places to start be University of California Berkeley Psychology Department? Or the medical school attached to the University? They may even have a study going on so you'd be able to get information without cost.... it's worth a shot.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2008, 8:41 pm

JCJC777 wrote:
try www.coachingasperger.com - excellent

no offence but the personal coaching over the phone reminds me of when I was an 'phone actress' doing professional phone sex. the rates are much lower than what I charged, though (3.99 a minute) but then I 'cured' them :wink: she just coaches.

(come on now, I am just kidding!)

Coaching Fees
PERSONAL COACHING FOR ADULTS, COUPLES, AND TEENS with Asperger Syndrome is offered by Kristina Elaine. Kristina offers full-hour and half-hour sessions. Fees are $150 per hour, and $75 per half hour. Payment is due prior to scheduled sessions. If you cannot make a scheduled session, Kristina requires 24-hour notice, or you will be charged for the session. Refunds are offered for unused sessions with 24-hours notice only.

CONSULTING FOR PARENTS of children with Asperger Syndrome and autism is offered by Sharon Backues. Sessions are half-hour in length and fees are $75 per half-hour session. An additional $25 fee per session is added if payments are made by an outside agency, due to increased overhead. If you or a family member is paying for the consulting, there are no additional fees and charges are $75 per half-hour session. Payment is due prior to scheduled sessions. If you cannot make a scheduled session, Sharon requires 24-hour notice, or you will be charged for the session.

Coaching and consulting are not medical services and are not covered by medical insurance. We are not contracted with Medicare, Medicaid or other major medical insurance provider.

Funding may be available to you through your employer, especially if they offer support for employees with disabilities. US Government employees in particular are likely to be able to get a certain amount of job coaching paid for through disability support programs.

You may also have access to a variety of local support programs able to provide grants for life coaching or consulting. We are not aware of what programs may be available in your particular location, but do encourage you to see what you can find and suggest you contact them regarding their policies.

Some large employers offer job coaching as part of their employee benefits, particularly to management level employees. You can ask about job coaching benefits without mentioning Asperger Syndrome if you have not disclosed your diagnosis (or have not gotten a diagnosis).