aspergers people who are white mixing with non-white's

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

ALADDIN_1978
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Jan 2008, 12:29 pm

I live in a very English area with few non-white people. I have black hair and brown skin. In the UK I would be classed as South Asian. Sometimes I feel with more severe AS treat me like an alien or do not treat me equally especially if was white. A friend said people with AS cannot handle change, and I look different and often unique in the AS group.
What do you think?

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2008, 12:53 pm

your first post to this forum informed the general populace you didn't care for the society of the preponderance of the people on this forum. We didn't know the color of your skin, your ethnic heritage or your racial roots. We just knew you were expressing mild contempt for the company of those with Asperger's Syndrome as you were introducing yourself. So perhaps it has nothing to do with those external issues, but how you come off to people?

However if you want it to be racial/ethnic prejudice, then it might as well be, cause no matter what the actual reason is, you have already short circuited any real understanding with your own opinion on how it has to be some external reason you have no control over.

Take the challenge and change your own attitude, you might be surprised by the positive response from those same people you think are 'judging you'.

since you asked,

Merle

Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Jan 2008, 6:19 pm

I think it is pretty sorry to judge someone on the color of their skin. I used to do it a lot, but now I realize it is because minorities are predisposed to conditions that implicate them in the gangsta lifestyle, not the other way around. They are just people trying to make it.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2008, 7:52 pm

I think that it's not AS as much as a general culture class (or could be, don't know how long you've been around). I hear that a lot of South Asians have trouble with the English, due to differences in religion, political events, and just not understanding in general. The food they've come to like, though..;)

Being in the South, I've seen racial relations from Segregation up through today. A lot of things have changed, and a lot of people have, too. Some haven't, unfortunately, and that goes for both sides.

I see it happen at a certain 'critical mass', where there's enough of 'them' (substitute your own group) to be separate and form a different culture in the midst of 'us'.

NTs don't understand NTs from halfway across the world, so it may not be as intense as you think. They just don't realize that you may have more on your plate than what they think (if they think, that is)

dreyah
Butterfly
Butterfly

07 Jan 2008, 7:32 pm

I kind of understand where you are coming from. I am also 'non-white' and Muslim, there is not a lot of diversity in my city. Sometimes I wonder why people are weary of me - because they think I'm a terrorist, or because I'm autistic :) However, in my ASD support groups I feel like we are unified by our common bond, and that our race and religions don't matter. That's really sad if you are experiencing different! Hang in there!

SirJoseph
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Jan 2008, 11:01 am

im half hispanic and half white but i look hispanic. every day i deal with racism. when white people look at me, they see a mexican and assume i speak spanish and eat burritos every day. when mexicans look at me they see somebody whos trying to act white because i dont have an accent and i only like british beer. my hispanic relatives dont like white people, and my white relatives think mexicans are poor and skanky. thats bad enough, now add aspergers syndrome to the mix. no one wants to admit they do this, but when you see a persons skin color, stereotypes automatically come to mind and its up to the colored person to confirm them or surprise you. the only prejudices i have are against neurotypicals in general. i dont like people, i am angry and bitter about how aspergers has affected my life negatively. i dont like the way people go out of their way to alienate you just to boost their own self esteem. and thats basically what racism is.