Started testing for ADD... possibly Asperger.

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

Pugly
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2008, 5:54 am

Anyone else go through this sort of testing as an Adult?

I'm starting with an IQ test, which is good for me... I always wanted to take an official one. I missed a couple of questions that I really could have done if I thought about it in the right way.

I ran into my classic problems of knowing exactly what something is, but not being able to express it. Interestingly, they were mostly related to social interacting words. I was supposed to think of what was similar between two words, I knew the words... I could rattle off a litany of things that were similar...but the specific word that they were looking for... kind of escaped me. It just didn't come to my head, which was very strange. But happens a lot, where I can think and understand a concept but be unable to express it.

Going in I didn't know what to expect, and I don't think the psycologist did either. Since I'm not a 'normal' case, I'm relatively functional... far from depressed.... and appear to be accomplishing something.... normally people come in from college when they can't manage... I'm getting ready to graduate in the spring with no major road blocks left.

It came up in the conversation that I want to teach math, possibly in high school... and instantly the psycologist said I would be eatin alive at a high school. He could tell I had a naivete about me... but he also said in a certain light I could get their respect by relating to them... after I described how I believe I could manage... once I got used to everything. No one has told me this about my teaching goal, even though I had the same reservations.

I think a lot of good will come out of this.

Oh by the way, I apalagize for all the spelling errors in this post, this is how I normally want to spell... and I'm typing this in a browser that doesn't have a inline spell checker. That tool is amazing...

Wanting more than what I have might appear as greed.