Page 2 of 4 [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next


What are you in terms of faith?
Christian 21%  21%  [ 23 ]
Jew 4%  4%  [ 4 ]
Muslim 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Hindu 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Buhdist 3%  3%  [ 3 ]
Sikh 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Bahai 3%  3%  [ 3 ]
Jain 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Gnostic 3%  3%  [ 3 ]
Agnostic 25%  25%  [ 27 ]
Atheist 25%  25%  [ 28 ]
Other 17%  17%  [ 19 ]
Total votes : 110

Rynessa
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 1 Oct 2007
Age: 41
Gender: Female
Posts: 366

11 Jan 2008, 7:10 pm

Agnostic, I guess.
I don't know if there's a God or not.
I used to be an Atheist, but life has thrown me enough curve balls that I now feel anything is possible. Also, there is that still, small voice.



greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Mar 2007
Age: 44
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,896
Location: Home

11 Jan 2008, 8:46 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
So far 85% are non Christian.

I really wonder if that has something to do with autism or not, if there is some relation to it.


_________________
?Everything is perfect in the universe - even your desire to improve it.?


MissPickwickian
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Nov 2007
Age: 28
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,044
Location: Tennessee

12 Jan 2008, 6:28 am

I voted for "other". I am everything.


_________________
Powered by quotes since 7/25/10


Syd
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 23 Dec 2007
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,234

12 Jan 2008, 11:29 am

MissPickwickian wrote:
I am everything.


I'm guessing you say this in the context of realizing your role as a part connected to the greater whole of our universe (I'm reminded of systems thinking) - rather than claiming you're a follower of every belief listed.

If the latter is what you meant - perhaps you're joking, or have many multiple personalities - each of which is a believer of different faiths. Technically though, the acceptance of all belief systems simultaneously by one person would seem to present some major contradictions.

More likely.. you think of each religion as a different way of viewing the same collective "truth" perceived by humanity.

On that note, I'd be inclined to agree that religions should probably be digested metaphorically rather than literally.



zendell
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 10 Nov 2007
Age: 29
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,174
Location: Austin, TX

12 Jan 2008, 12:13 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Phagocyte wrote:
zendell wrote:
Therefore, people have no excuse. It's clear God exists (only the 2%ers, the atheists who probably hate God, disagree) and there's really only 2 religions to consider. I think everyone should examine Christianity and Islam to see which is most likely to be true. Of course, there's always the view that God will reward those who believe in him and live a moral life and punish those who are evil.


A lot of people believing something hardly makes it true. I need scientific evidence one way or another (I am agnostic).


This polls' purpose is not to prove anything but to see the state of WP. I agree with you Phagocyte; if something is true it remains true no matter how many people are for it or against it.


Ok. I won't proselytize here. I agree "if something is true it remains true no matter how many people are for it or against it" What I meant is that we should all examine the evidence to see which view is more likely to be true. I don't think there needs to be scientific proof. I doubt God would only reveal himself to a small group of people in some remote part of the world which is why larger worldwide religions imo are more likely to be true.



richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

User avatar

Joined: 30 Oct 2006
Gender: Male
Posts: 13,553
Location: Leave only a footprint behind

12 Jan 2008, 12:26 pm

right now im agnostic, i used to be athiest and before that i was a christian :roll:


_________________
Winds of clarity. a universal understanding come and go, I've seen though the Darkness to understand the bounty of Light


iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 31 Jul 2007
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 25,091
Location: 0.5 Galactic radius

12 Jan 2008, 12:54 pm

zendell wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Phagocyte wrote:
zendell wrote:
Therefore, people have no excuse. It's clear God exists (only the 2%ers, the atheists who probably hate God, disagree) and there's really only 2 religions to consider. I think everyone should examine Christianity and Islam to see which is most likely to be true. Of course, there's always the view that God will reward those who believe in him and live a moral life and punish those who are evil.


A lot of people believing something hardly makes it true. I need scientific evidence one way or another (I am agnostic).


This polls' purpose is not to prove anything but to see the state of WP. I agree with you Phagocyte; if something is true it remains true no matter how many people are for it or against it.


Ok. I won't proselytize here. I agree "if something is true it remains true no matter how many people are for it or against it" What I meant is that we should all examine the evidence to see which view is more likely to be true. I don't think there needs to be scientific proof. I doubt God would only reveal himself to a small group of people in some remote part of the world which is why larger worldwide religions imo are more likely to be true.


Then there's the Great Commission which Christians tend to be lazy at and now you have Muslims who are increasing their numbers mainly because of how prolific they are generally...



richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

User avatar

Joined: 30 Oct 2006
Gender: Male
Posts: 13,553
Location: Leave only a footprint behind

12 Jan 2008, 1:03 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Then there's the Great Commission which Christians tend to be lazy at and now you have Muslims who are increasing their numbers mainly because of how prolific they are generally...
and just what are you going to do about that son? are you going door to door spreading the good news?


_________________
Winds of clarity. a universal understanding come and go, I've seen though the Darkness to understand the bounty of Light


iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 31 Jul 2007
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 25,091
Location: 0.5 Galactic radius

12 Jan 2008, 1:11 pm

richardbenson wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Then there's the Great Commission which Christians tend to be lazy at and now you have Muslims who are increasing their numbers mainly because of how prolific they are generally...


and just what are you going to do about that son? are you going door to door spreading the good news?


Tried witnessing at jobs... employers don't like that. I don't like the mormon approach, I want to let people know me first. Who would you rather listen to: a stranger or a friend? Of course there is always the method that atheists use which seem to work well: control the education system and ridicule all opposing views.



richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

User avatar

Joined: 30 Oct 2006
Gender: Male
Posts: 13,553
Location: Leave only a footprint behind

12 Jan 2008, 1:29 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Tried witnessing at jobs... employers don't like that.
well i mean, im shure they dont allow it because they dont wanna be sued. i'll tell you what if i was working and someone tried converting me to any religion i'd look into legal action, so its probably smart on the employers part to not let such things happen

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
I don't like the mormon approach, I want to let people know me first. Who would you rather listen to: a stranger or a friend?
i'd rather you not talk to me about your dogma, lets talk about baseball instead


iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Of course there is always the method that atheists use which seem to work well: control the education system and ridicule all opposing views
yes because if religion was taught in school as actual fact, im shure this country would still be stuck in the stone ages


_________________
Winds of clarity. a universal understanding come and go, I've seen though the Darkness to understand the bounty of Light


iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 31 Jul 2007
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 25,091
Location: 0.5 Galactic radius

12 Jan 2008, 3:07 pm

richardbenson wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Tried witnessing at jobs... employers don't like that.
well i mean, im shure they dont allow it because they dont wanna be sued. i'll tell you what if i was working and someone tried converting me to any religion i'd look into legal action, so its probably smart on the employers part to not let such things happen


Why are they allowed to talk about their religion/lack-there-of/why-Christianity-is-____ or about activities which I find offensive and they suffer no consequences?

richardbenson wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
I don't like the mormon approach, I want to let people know me first. Who would you rather listen to: a stranger or a friend?
i'd rather you not talk to me about your dogma, lets talk about baseball instead


That's a shallow relationship.

richardbenson wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Of course there is always the method that atheists use which seem to work well: control the education system and ridicule all opposing views
yes because if religion was taught in school as actual fact, im shure this country would still be stuck in the stone ages


That's a common strawman. :roll:



richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

User avatar

Joined: 30 Oct 2006
Gender: Male
Posts: 13,553
Location: Leave only a footprint behind

12 Jan 2008, 3:26 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Why are they allowed to talk about their religion/lack-there-of/why-Christianity-is-____ or about activities which I find offensive and they suffer no consequences?
what are you talking about? last time i checked if you werent talking about religion at your job your not trying to conform anybody, and i hardly seeing athiest foaming at the mouths at work getting you to believe whatever they believe in. as far as im concerned if you get upset about people talking about your religion badly dont hang around those people or complain to your boss

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
That's a shallow relationship.
hardly, did you know the new york yankees changed there uniforms from a solid color to pinstripes to make the great bambino look thinner? i dont know how you can have a relationship with an invisible guy. does he talk to you? frankly i dont know how any form of theism isnt a form of mental illness like schizophrenia

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
That's a common strawman. :roll:
yeah ok so if religion was taught as actual fact in school we wouldnt be living in caves with no lights? im shure we would all be living like fred flintstone dude, yabba dabba doo!


_________________
Winds of clarity. a universal understanding come and go, I've seen though the Darkness to understand the bounty of Light


Last edited by richardbenson on 12 Jan 2008, 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 31 Jul 2007
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 25,091
Location: 0.5 Galactic radius

12 Jan 2008, 6:05 pm

Thomas Edison and Michael Faraday were atheists?



richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

User avatar

Joined: 30 Oct 2006
Gender: Male
Posts: 13,553
Location: Leave only a footprint behind

12 Jan 2008, 7:19 pm

i bet you lean like a cholo in the club dont you? picking up all my potential girlfriends! :x


_________________
Winds of clarity. a universal understanding come and go, I've seen though the Darkness to understand the bounty of Light


richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

User avatar

Joined: 30 Oct 2006
Gender: Male
Posts: 13,553
Location: Leave only a footprint behind

12 Jan 2008, 8:45 pm

oh snap son, i found your song! :lol:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... &plindex=1


_________________
Winds of clarity. a universal understanding come and go, I've seen though the Darkness to understand the bounty of Light


Last edited by richardbenson on 12 Jan 2008, 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 31 Jul 2007
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 25,091
Location: 0.5 Galactic radius

12 Jan 2008, 9:16 pm

Don't lock my thread with your yammering, go away.