Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

maulwurfmann
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

08 Jan 2008, 11:29 pm

Hello, I got a weird comment and it's been bothering me for a while. Unfortunately, I'm a rather slow person, so I can't make much of it, but perhaps someone else can. A little background: I'm a 17 year old dude, generally quiet around people unless I can trust them. Once I can, though, I can maintain small conversations. I'm also quite paranoid (I've used the word "I" a lot, and even now it's starting to bother me). I met a girl a while back, and we took a course last summer together. We also volunteered at the school together, and used to be in the same classes a lot.

Naturally, I began to loosen up and talk to her. Unfortunately, I also found myself attracted to her. We talked in the halls, between classes, but nothing else really happened. Then one day, a friend of mine (who looks a little like me) told me that she mistakes him and another guy for me, and that I talk a lot ("she says you're quite the chatterbox" were the words he used).

Today, my English teacher really liked a paper I wrote, and read it to all her other classes. In the halls, the girl came up from behind me and told me about how my paper had been read, but she also told me something to the effect of "Mrs. S(the teacher) said you're quiet, but you aren't really that quiet". It wasn't as offensive as I made it seem, but it stuck in my head.

I guess one could argue that I'm annoying her, though when I talk to her it's just basic stuff like how physics class was; nothing really personal. If she doesn't want to talk, I don't push it; I try a joke or something silly. I'm not one to gossip either, or at least I think so.

I'm actually not even certain any of the above makes sense. But if anyone does understand what I'm asking, I would be very grateful if you would explain what you think the girl meant.

duncansbass
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Location: Flatting thirds, fifths, and sevenths for over 20 years

08 Jan 2008, 11:46 pm

Tough to say.
She could be expressing any number of things.
Best thing is to just watch how she is and decide from there.
Or you could straight out ask.
It seems to me that you may be taking offense when none was meant, but I wasn't there, so I don't know.
Keep an eye out, and don't stress too much over it, is all I can tell you.

Lene
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2008, 11:53 pm

I don't think she meant it negatively- 'chatterbox' is kind of a cute word. If you were really annoying her, she'd have said something more along the lines of 'oh my gawd, does he ever shut up' :P

JohnHopkins
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2008, 6:50 am

Well keep in mind that one aspie characteristic is to take up almost all of the conversation themselves if they're talking about something they're interested in, so maybe that's all you're doing.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2008, 9:24 am

not to the topic, but remember that 'chatterbox' aspect can be part of a great career path. I am on the phones for out members 38.75 hours aweek. I am very helpful because I can assess their issues and use my terrier like obstanicy to worry an issue until I figure out how to remedy the issue and feel like Supergirl when I rescue the situation and set it right - all in a 20 minute phone call.

so being a chatterbox with them on one side of the phone and you on the other is OK. You don't have to worry about body language or facial expressions, they have to work with you on YOUR terms and your gift of gab supports you in good stead.

being a chatterbox is a GOOOD thing! :wink:

JohnHopkins
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2008, 11:54 am

...do you look like Supergirl too? Because I'd be interested ;-)

Jaejoongfangirl
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2008, 6:04 pm

Lene wrote:
I don't think she meant it negatively- 'chatterbox' is kind of a cute word. If you were really annoying her, she'd have said something more along the lines of 'oh my gawd, does he ever shut up' :P

Yeah.
That's how I'd interpret it too.
I don't think it was intended as an insult at all.

maulwurfmann

09 Jan 2008, 11:52 pm

Thanks for the clarification :)

BlackBull
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Jan 2008, 3:21 am

maulwurfmann wrote:
Hello, I got a weird comment and it's been bothering me for a while. Unfortunately, I'm a rather slow person, so I can't make much of it, but perhaps someone else can. A little background: I'm a 17 year old dude, generally quiet around people unless I can trust them. Once I can, though, I can maintain small conversations. I'm also quite paranoid (I've used the word "I" a lot, and even now it's starting to bother me). I met a girl a while back, and we took a course last summer together. We also volunteered at the school together, and used to be in the same classes a lot.

Naturally, I began to loosen up and talk to her. Unfortunately, I also found myself attracted to her. We talked in the halls, between classes, but nothing else really happened. Then one day, a friend of mine (who looks a little like me) told me that she mistakes him and another guy for me, and that I talk a lot ("she says you're quite the chatterbox" were the words he used).

Today, my English teacher really liked a paper I wrote, and read it to all her other classes. In the halls, the girl came up from behind me and told me about how my paper had been read, but she also told me something to the effect of "Mrs. S(the teacher) said you're quiet, but you aren't really that quiet". It wasn't as offensive as I made it seem, but it stuck in my head.

I guess one could argue that I'm annoying her, though when I talk to her it's just basic stuff like how physics class was; nothing really personal. If she doesn't want to talk, I don't push it; I try a joke or something silly. I'm not one to gossip either, or at least I think so.

I'm actually not even certain any of the above makes sense. But if anyone does understand what I'm asking, I would be very grateful if you would explain what you think the girl meant.

She likes you.

Step up Maulwurf. Ask her questions about herself. Tease her lightly. Show her the confident, charming guy you are.

Believe in your abilities dude. As for her "Quiet" comment, It was sure as hell not offensive. It was a sign of interest. Go with it.

Hurry up, or you'll be heading to the LJBF zone (Let's just be friends), and that place is NOT cool, let me tell you!

maulwurfmann

11 Jan 2008, 11:21 pm

BlackBull wrote:
maulwurfmann wrote:

She likes you.

Step up Maulwurf. Ask her questions about herself. Tease her lightly. Show her the confident, charming guy you are.

Believe in your abilities dude. As for her "Quiet" comment, It was sure as hell not offensive. It was a sign of interest. Go with it.

Hurry up, or you'll be heading to the LJBF zone (Let's just be friends), and that place is NOT cool, let me tell you!

Heh, there's an irony in my confidence. I can stand up in class, perform a poorly-memorized skit and amaze everyone, yet I could rehearse a little chat with someone for years and end up chickening out before I go for it.

How do you do it?

BlackBull
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Jan 2008, 12:25 am

maulwurfmann wrote:

Heh, there's an irony in my confidence. I can stand up in class, perform a poorly-memorized skit and amaze everyone, yet I could rehearse a little chat with someone for years and end up chickening out before I go for it.

How do you do it?

Usually, the best thing is to let the other person talk. Practice good listening. Bring up the subject, and let the other person talk ages about it. They say the best conversers are the ones who listen the most.

Keep at it buddy. It'll get there.