Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

MsBehaviour
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Jan 2008, 3:42 am

Whatever flavour of Human Bean you may be - stress, to put it bluntly, is bad for you. It can kill you, in fact. A study now reveals that stress causes deterioration in everything from your gums to your heart and can make you more susceptible to everything from the common cold to cancer. Thanks to new research crossing the disciplines of psychology, medicine, neuroscience, and genetics, the mechanisms underlying the connection are rapidly becoming understood.

http://www.news-medical.net/?id=34154

Personally I'm definitely more LFA when I'm stressed out. My ability to deal with the world is definitely better the more relaxed I get. Now where am going to hang my hammock? :D

Fatal-Noogie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: California coast, United States of America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Cosmos

10 Jan 2008, 5:07 am

Yeah, but with NO stress, there's no motivation. You need SOME stress to survive. Wanting to operate without stress is like wanting to build a heat engine that doesn't involve pressure: it's just not possible.

Besides, some people stress too much, but I don't stress enuf. That's why I'm a slacker. I relax when I should be studying.

psychotic
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Jan 2008, 5:30 am

stress is BAD? I could have sworn it was the opposite...

Sifr
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Jan 2008, 6:06 am

Early last year when I became very introspective, I had no worries, no anxiety; nothing. Everything was peaceful, everything was calm. I even told my parents that I wanted to join a monastery, lol.

Me: "Sir, madam, this world is a mess. I cannot be a part of it any longer. I've decided I want to become an ascetic.
Father: "What?!? How are you going to make a living?"
Me: "How can one live without the Supreme Lord? Sir, my ways is not with the people. "
Mother: "You have seriously gone crazy!"

I had no ambition to do anything else but to be "One". Somehow I was convinced to go back to school, reintroduce myself again to society, where all my anxiety, all my stress, all forms of worries and peculiarities came back. :?

OT: Am I the only one that laughed at "Human Bean"? Sorry, I just found it hilarious.

Age1600
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2008, 6:11 am

MsBehaviour wrote:
Personally I'm definitely more LFA when I'm stressed out. My ability to deal with the world is definitely better the more relaxed I get. Now where am going to hang my hammock? :D

I hear you, when im more stressed i'm defintely more low functioning, oh well haha, if we didnt have stress i think everybody would be tooooo happy haha!

TLPG
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2008, 6:19 am

psychotic wrote:
stress is BAD? I could have sworn it was the opposite...

Like everything else - too much stress IS bad.

To be challenged is one thing. I don't call that stress myself. But what's stress to one person isn't to another. That difference should be respected in my book. Mind you - there are exceptions to that, as there are to all rules of life. Aspie and NT.

asplanet
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2008, 6:24 am

I'm a red hot chilli bean and always seem to function better under pressure, guess need a focal point to zoom in on.

If things are too quite and boring, that I find stressful..

But my least stressful thing is laughing :lol: maybe my stress release :wink:

I agree with Age1600 Being Normal Is Vastly Overrated wall :shrug:

Last edited by asplanet on 10 Jan 2008, 6:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

bizmack
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Jan 2008, 6:25 am

Like most things in life stress has its purpose and in moderation acts as survival technique:

-An example would be the adreneline rush one may feel when being attacked by another person which causes their heart to beat faster thus pumping more blood to the muscles and brain making the person stronger and faster.

-Another example one would be the countless stories when someone has displayed great strength or endurance it the presence of imminent danger of a loved one

Personally I have served in two branches of the military, and one during wartime so i have had more than my fare share of stress in the last 7 years. Although I definnitely understand the point of having less stress because of its long time affects of ones health over the years, I would not want to alleviate it either due to its potential positive aspects as well.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2008, 6:49 am

I'm not a bean! 8O

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2008, 7:40 am

2ukenkerl wrote:
I'm not a bean! 8O

LOL I love that emoticon :D

I think laughter is one of the best stress relievers.

Sifr
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Jan 2008, 7:49 am

SilverProteus wrote:
2ukenkerl wrote:
I'm not a bean! 8O

ha, I used to make some people laugh during horrible/sad situations/circumstances just by laughing myself. One event I remember was when I was on the phone with an ex who was crying over the death of a friend, I say to her "Uhh...well, I don't know what to say...but uhmm, how about those Mets? Cowboys are doing good, huh?" which lightened up the mood.

Life is too much to not laugh. I laugh by myself many times.

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2008, 8:09 am

Sifr wrote:
SilverProteus wrote:
2ukenkerl wrote:
I'm not a bean! 8O

ha, I used to make some people laugh during horrible/sad situations/circumstances just by laughing myself. One event I remember was when I was on the phone with an ex who was crying over the death of a friend, I say to her "Uhh...well, I don't know what to say...but uhmm, how about those Mets? Cowboys are doing good, huh?" which lightened up the mood.

Um...yeah. :roll:

Did it seriously?

Sifr
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Jan 2008, 8:36 am

SilverProteus wrote:
Sifr wrote:
SilverProteus wrote:
2ukenkerl wrote:
I'm not a bean! 8O

Um...yeah. :roll:

Did it seriously?

She and I both had unusual humor and ways of conversing. She understood that my question was merely meant to distract her from her thoughts. At least I think she did. I remember another event where she was crying over a statement said to her--not by me. I didn't know what to do, and I laughed. She questioned me and I replied "I've never seen you cry before." Whenever she was feeling down, she'd put on makeup. I would cause her to laugh, again, by saying: "What are you doing? You look like a blind clown."

You have to understand that certain people will laugh at or joke about anything. I for one will not laugh at anyone's death, but if you injure yourself, I will laugh. During and after horrible events of mine, I laugh. Why not?

Obviously, some don't like laughing during bad situations. I guess I'm more influenced by a scripture I read where it mentioned I shouldn't get too attached to a certain event, that it is irrational to forever be sad about it.