Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Sarcastic_Name
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2005, 11:41 pm

Does anyone else have problems with saying or doing something disgusting an not realizing it? I have a very tolerant capacity for grossness, and nothing really gets to me that often. I sometimes forget that other people can be sensitive. I sometimes say things not realizing that their socially incorrect and gross.

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2005, 11:43 pm

I have a strong sense of disgust. If some forgets to flush the toilet here in the dorms, I look away in utter disgust and use another toilet. Research has recently found some obsessive-compulsive behavior can be triggered by disgust rather than anxiety. Go figure.

Mockingbird
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2005, 12:00 am

I have that problem as well....Mom's always whispering "TMI....TMI" <sigh>

animallover
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2005, 12:04 am

I run into a problem with the fact that I'm always gathering information so I want information about people - nothing is too much information for me - so I have to remember that there is such a thing as too much information for normal people, who are not always gathering information . . .

pyraxis
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2005, 12:30 am

Yeah, I run into that one too. Especially when they're talking about interactions and conflicts with other people, which are fascinating. But they assume they must be boring me, that I couldn't possibly want to know personal information about their lives.

vetivert
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2005, 1:13 am

i've always been described as "broad minded" *cough*. i find very little in the way of physical stuff (such as bodily functions) disgusting - mind you, i did work in conjunction with an STD clinic once, so that was an eye-opener.

i'm also described as "outspoken", so the combination can be a little - shall we say - "interesting". i can stop conversations at twenty paces. i tend to get away with it, cos i just say, "You lot were thinking it - i merely said it out loud". it's so often true. :twisted:

Pandora
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2005, 6:40 am

I'm usually very reticent but sometimes let out a comment that takes people by surprise and not really meaning to be rude. They either laugh or there is just this deadening silence and then I'm going "what did I say?"
:oops: :? :?:

Hold your heads up high.
"Western Girls" - Dragon

animallover
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2005, 11:05 pm

I also taught sex ed for 8 years, so that does sort of color the sort of things you are willing to talk about out loud - but I've never been terribly scared to speak about such things (I think that being celibate actually helps with that because I am looking at a behavior - not something that has all sorts of emotions tied up in it) . . . I suppose that is why when teaching that subject came up I just said 'Yeah - ok' instead of being scared like everyone else! :lol:

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2005, 2:02 pm

Yes, I often describe the human brain and body in exquisite detail and also various functions if the subject arises. Even when it relates to myself.

I figure "Dang, it's just the body. Everything the body does is gross. How can it possibly be avoided??"

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

Jetson
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2005, 3:28 pm

I'm really bad with TMI, particularly online. Sometimes it feels so anonymous and I write things I would never say in person.

rpm2004
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2005, 1:47 am

I Have A Facination with what others consider gross,I go to rotten.com for comedic purposes

PhoenixKitten
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2005, 3:08 am

Ahh dear, I have learnt to embrace my 'gross side'! It's good fun seeing the looks on people's faces when I tell them just exactly what my body has been doing on me lately! Priceless! :lol:

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2005, 9:27 am

I tend to talk about gross things regularly without even knowing. I talk about dreams about toddlers going to the bathroom in their Pull-ups and the waste being a fully formed Carrot, or Celery. I talk about Constipation, Diahreah and Metamucil. I talk about Periods and Errections. When my Puppy Dog goes to the Bathroom outside, and my Dad isn't home, I find my Mom and speak for him in Baby Talk, saying, "I was a Pee-Pee/Poo-Poo Boy!" I talk about farts and burps. I do all of that to prove a point about how rebellious I can be, and that I'm not that Innocent. My Mom tells me to stop it, because it reminds her of a fat, piggish girl that I went to school with. It stops for a while, than it starts up, again.

Prometheus
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2005, 10:36 am

TMI is what?

Namiko
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2005, 10:43 am

I wouldn't go as far to say that I am germaphobic, but I have limited tolerance for disguisting stuff. I mean, the kind of thing when my sister leaves her lunch in her backpack and it starts to smell, not the stuff we have to do in biology labs. ;)

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2005, 4:38 pm

Speaking of gross, I had a lovely class in Physiological Psychology. We got to dissect sheep brains!

I actually thought I was going to be nauseated by the smell of formaldahyde, etc, and the consistency of the brains. And originally my partner was going to be the one to do the cutting-- since she was eager to do it anyway.

Well, we got our brain in front of us and she didn't want to cut anymore because the formaldehyde was making her nauseous and the whole time I was looking at the brain and thinking "KEWEL!". So I eagerly grabbed the scapel.

But I didn't let myself think very hard about this being the brain of a sheep-- or animal in general-- since I love them usually more than humans and feel guilty. Now I feel guilty and I can only hope all of the sheep was used (and not just for dissection). Perhaps that wish is a little naive though...

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/