How many of these traits (see post for details)?

Page 1 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

How many of these traits fit you (see list in post)
None 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
1 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
2 8%  8%  [ 5 ]
3 7%  7%  [ 4 ]
4 8%  8%  [ 5 ]
5 10%  10%  [ 6 ]
6 7%  7%  [ 4 ]
7 14%  14%  [ 8 ]
8 14%  14%  [ 8 ]
9 8%  8%  [ 5 ]
10 5%  5%  [ 3 ]
11 5%  5%  [ 3 ]
12 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
13 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
14 5%  5%  [ 3 ]
15 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 59

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2008, 10:45 am

I just found this list and was curious. I've condensed these from a bunch of descriptions, and added some of my own notes.

So the question is how many of these traits fit you (it's geared towards children, so this goes across an entire lifespan)?

* Difficulty (or impossibility) of understanding written words (or this has been said about you despite it not actually being true)
* Difficulty (or impossibility) of understanding spoken words
* Autism (or similar condition)
* Lacking in spontaneous language
* Learning to speak by rote, and only through heavy repetition
* Being echolalic, and using that eventually to develop other language (or what looks like language)
* Delay in pragmatic speech
* Lack of desire to be around other children (or this has been said about you because of your appearance, even if it wasn't true)
* Delay in typical social skills
* Jump forward in language around the age of 4 or 5
* Being able to decode written words very early (but not necessarily understand them or know what they're for)
* Learning to spell complicated words early
* Learning to decode sentences early (again, not necessarily with meaning)
* Fascination with letters or numbers
* Assumed at some point to be highly gifted because of all the early decoding of written words (despite the disconnects in comprehension and expression)

batista90
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2008, 10:51 am

got 3...im higly giftet for computers and html languande and such:D in here lot of aspies go in computer studying but i taked car section...been fun in here ..cars are after all guide logistic :)

..dead..what u know about dead?
feel free to talk:)

straples-> http://www.alinssite.info/

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

11 Jan 2008, 10:52 am

me 3 or 4, actually 5, i just noticed, sorry, should have put 5 rather than 3.
I was precocious verbally, i think, from what I remember and what have been told. BUT I was a very slow or a "non"-starter in lots of other areas, looking-after-myself stuff particularly. As if my body was difficult for me to grasp.

What is the list about? A particular strand/element of the autistic fruit-salad?

8)

Last edited by ouinon on 11 Jan 2008, 10:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

KimJ
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2008, 10:52 am

I'm personally a 2 or 3, but my son meets 10 of those. Is that a checklist for hyperlexia?

sarahstilettos
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2008, 10:58 am

Five - mainly social ones. I had NO interest in other children. However, I was 'developmentally normal'.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2008, 11:02 am

9 (I had to look up what pragmatic speech meant).

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2008, 11:08 am

...and I said 14 of them. Only 14 because I don't remember a gigantic jump forward in language at the age of 4 or 5 (edited to add: There was a major shift then, but not that, that I remember). The reason I posted it this way, was that I knew I had some of these traits, and that they made me different from many autistic people I knew, but I had no clue that all of these traits were said to be related to each other.

Specifically, the fact that I had serious trouble comprehending language while able to form echolalic language (as in, did not know what language was, or what it was for, at all, but could repeat words and other sounds, and could match a lot of language-patterns to each other before I got even an inkling of what words meant or that they in fact meant anything). That stuff has been... of the autobiographies I've read by autistic people, that is very rare in them, and when I talk to other autistic people online, most (outside of a small number) haven't experienced this (or not to any great degree, and this is including people who remain non-speaking and have always had a pretty high level of language comprehension), and many can't even comprehend it or even tell me it's not possible.

It turns out there's a category where it's more common. I knew I fit that category for other reasons, and that most other people I knew who fit that category did not experience what I did, or not to this degree. So I am curious about this, now.

And in my case, the language incomprehension means, spoken words as noise, written words as squiggles (but in my case, squiggles I could sometimes turn into noise, but without comprehension of either noise or squiggles). I don't mean (although I'm sure this encompasses that as well in less extreme versions, because it's sometimes like this later on, including now, although it's still often just noise and squiggles) words that are simply distorted in how they sound, or where part of them makes sense and part of them doesn't. I mean, no comprehension that words hold meaning, for a length of time long enough for me to figure out other systems of meaning that don't involve words or symbols at all.

It's also possible for a person to, even while understanding words or symbols, to be capable of operating outside of them. I just mean, for awhile I was incapable of operating inside of them in terms of thinking. (These days, there are times when I am incapable of operating inside of them, but there are also times when I am capable of doing so, it just makes my brain hurt to do it and it remains foreign to me. That is what I am like now.)

And, I basically developed language in a really weird way because I learned these rote echolalic things that I matched through patterns before even knowing what the stuff meant, and then gradually learned, this combination of meaning, several different purposes of communication, the ability to pattern-match "appropriate-sounding" sentences, speech itself, and a number of other components of communication, all at different rates, and often with if I got ahead in one of them it sacrificed the others for awhile and they would be held back again and have to start over or start from earlier, so even if I'd learned something by some point I had to relearn it a number of times. And I know very few other autistic people who did this (although I do know a few).

And then quite a few autistic people go "Huh? How does that even work?" when I describe that. Because even if they had trouble with spoken language, they often knew perfectly well what it was and what it was for, before they developed it. Or they developed several of those things before they developed the others, so they never had the weird back-and-forth effect I developed, nor the extreme mismatches between things that most people (including seemingly most autistic people) consider "all part of the same thing" (and are therefore either confused by me or even suspicious of me when I report what and how I did learn). But... this clumping of all these things together is exactly how I approached it all.

At any rate, I'm excited to learn that this category is actually used to describe so precisely the way I developed language, and am now curious how many other people experienced most of these (although that still leaves out the question how many experienced them as long as and to the degree that I did, since a person could answer yes to all this while still having from pretty early been perfectly aware what words were and how to get meaning out of them, but just had trouble doing so, so that for instance a sentence could sound like "I frendled some norts to the berndoor today" and a person might miss half the sentence but still get the basic point of it).

So... I'm pretty excited.

Last edited by anbuend on 11 Jan 2008, 11:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2008, 11:10 am

ouinon wrote:
What is the list about? A particular strand/element of the autistic fruit-salad?

Yeah. And one that I knew that I fit into, but I only knew that the final five (and sometimes the first one as well, but with controversy over that) were considered to be associated.

I am now wondering if there are versions of this where the final five things happen, but later than usual, as in what Donna Williams describes in her development. (Where nearly all of these things were true at some point, but the decoding of words without meaning, and all the things related to that, took place only after she was 9 years old, instead of "early" by typical standards -- but at that point she was still functionally nonverbal, so it still happened in roughly the same order all the other things do usually.)

I'm just thinking, if people find this entire pattern to be associated, and it fits me this closely (and a small number of other people I know, slightly larger if you include people like I just described who didn't do those final things early but still did them in otherwise the same exact order), then possibly this is a valid clumping of traits. I'll have to ask a scientist online-friend (who's memorized just about every autism study) if she knows anything about it.

Last edited by anbuend on 11 Jan 2008, 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2008, 11:16 am

I didn't meet these:

Quote:
* Difficulty (or impossibility) of understanding spoken words
* Being echolalic, and using that eventually to develop other language (or what looks like language)
* Being able to decode written words very early (but not necessarily understand them or know what they're for)
* Assumed at some point to be highly gifted because of all the early decoding of written words (despite the disconnects in comprehension and expression)

I had trouble with reading/writing, enough so that I had the usual IQ tests, held back a grade, and intense tutoring that seemed to solidify its mechanics in my mind. I still don't know what an adjective is, or a noun; I seem to use them correctly however.

I tend to fit the "HFA" stereotype; the delayed "aspie".

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2008, 2:17 pm

Basically, according to the Wikipedia article anyway, these are all traits of hyperlexa.

I was stunned.

KimJ
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2008, 2:54 pm

Yeah, my son isn't quite hyperlexic. He could site read as early as 3 but it was very limited. He has had a knack for understanding symbols really well. For instance, when he was first assessed for autism I made cartoons to "teach him how to do" something. The first cartoons were traced from coloring books, but that was tiring (writing and drawing hurt me). So, I started drawing a blend of stick figure and caricature. He can identify whole stories, schedules or instructions by a few poorly drawn cartoons. This was long before he was speaking or showing signs of understanding English.

Weirdly enough though, he has learned how to read new words in the traditional way (spelling and sounding it out) and it's hard for him. He learned quicker by site reading. The key elements in hyperlexia is the development of "decoding" words and sentences. My son could read "Sesame Street" or "Elmo says Good Morning!" but never sat down to read a book, paragraph or other stuff until he was 5. He didn't really show off his academic skills to others, so they went unnoticed. In preschool for instance, they didn't know he knew his colors, shapes, small numbers and the alphabet before 3. They never presented an opportunity for him to express his brains.

beau99
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2008, 3:14 pm

At least 7 of those fit me, possibly more.

Twitter: http://twitter.com/agenderstar

Zincubus
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2008, 3:15 pm

I got stuck at number one - Difficulty (or impossibility) of understanding written words - LOL

Some of the options wre fairly complex , dude ! !

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2008, 8:02 pm

WOW, you guys SCARED me! I figured SEVEN!

* Lack of desire to be around other children (or this has been said about you because of your appearance, even if it wasn't true)
* Delay in typical social skills
* Jump forward in language around the age of 4 or 5

I would say I definitely had a jump around 4 to 5 because I read more complex books, etc... I didn't really have problems. MOST sentences I have trouble with are either just WRONG, or many others ALSO have problems.

BTW my appearence was a LITTLE off when I was younger, but I was never even teased because of it and even I never considered it a problem.

paulsinnerchild
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2008, 8:03 pm

Most of them except I am a terrible speller

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2008, 8:11 pm

Three

Lack of desire to be around other children (I usually interacted best with adults)
Early reading and spelling
A jump forward in language between five and six. I went from barely speaking English to reading and writing at a fifth grade level in first grade.