Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2008, 10:03 pm

The 20th Century and The Old West.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2008, 6:51 am

How come no one likes Medieval or current?

DejaQ
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2008, 8:52 am

iamnotaparakeet wrote:

Too much ignorance and barbarism? :P

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2008, 9:41 am

I'd say right now. IMO the next 100 years are going to be a turning point in human history in which we use technology to transcend the limitations of biology (aging, mental retardation, cancer, etc.) and increase our cognitive and morphological freedom through gene therapy, brain enhancement, and virtual reality. The impact of nanotechnology on manufacturing will lead to a new industrial revolution based on home and community-based nano-manufacturing that makes mass production obsolete and lead to a more equitable and fair society. The first sapient AIs will be developed, challenging anthropocentric and biocentric notions of personhood. We will use technology to reverse the effects of climate change and create a post-fossil fuel economy based on nuclear fusion and renewables. Innovations in biotechnology and ecology will allow for ecologically sustainable farming with stupendous yields.

monty
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2008, 12:40 pm

ouinon wrote:
Sifr wrote:
I would like to have lived in Andalusian Spain.
It still exists; you can visit it whenever you like. It's the southern third of Spain, called Andalucia, ...

And if you can't make it to Europe, there is Andalusia, Alabama. Nice little town, very peaceful.

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

14 Jan 2008, 12:53 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:

"Current" is real to me, well, sort of, and so i excluded it automatically from my comparison; all the others being unreal imaginary things.
But medieval, hmm. There was some fun stuff going on. Sifr did choose a medieval period ( i think !?!) Spain at the time of Arab/moorish conquest, with advances in medicine, religious tolerance, philosophy, astronomy, etc.
And the position of women in the 1100-1200s, when gained some far reaching independence as a result of the men going off to the crusades so that women had to run things like during WWI & WWII. they took on the administration of great estates, finances, trade, and wrote poetry and music.

Unfortunately it didn't last long. The men came back from battering other people in the middle East, and took out their failure on the women, by shutting them all up again. Witch burnings rewarded any who expressed resentment at this turn of events. :( So medieval as a whole, yep, too barbaric. :(

I'd like all of history if could travel through it relatively freely, detached, with escape capsule!!

8)

Last edited by ouinon on 14 Jan 2008, 2:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2008, 1:39 pm

The original question is a really hard one, so much so that I can't provide an answer of personal preferrence. I mean, each time period has so many different pluses and minuses. For instance, I sometimes wonder if I would be happily married with kids if I lived a long time ago, because the circumstances might likely force me to grow up in ways I haven't. But I really don't know, because the way I am may be fundamental, no matter what external circumstances come into play. :? Sort of like Asperger's Syndrome -- an Aspie is going to have it no matter what time period they're born in. But very different circumstances would have very different impacts on the Aspie, influencing him in ways he couldn't have imagined. I somehow doubt I'd ever be the family type. Maybe I could do it, but I'm not sure whether I could like it.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2008, 5:30 pm

It would be preferable to have a family, but the earth is fairly populated as it is. Time to dominate!

"Be fruitful, multiply, and fill the earth... and have dominion over it..." As Someone important once said....

Still it would be nice to have a wife and children, but I don't think I'll ever find anyone that cares.

woodsman25
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

14 Jan 2008, 6:15 pm

I like the 80's and 90's when I was still a kid.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2008, 6:18 pm

I like the 60s and the 70s.

kitschinator
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Jan 2008, 7:45 pm

Huge history nerd checking in.

I like all ancient history, but especially ancient Mesopotamian history - Persian, Babylonian, etc.

I'm also big on ancient Egypt, Rome, Greece, China, and Japan.

Another area of interest is European history between the fall of Rome and the Middle Ages: the time of Germanic barbarians and the land of Gaul, and the Anglo-Saxon invasion of Brittania.

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2008, 9:00 pm

I like the present. I hope the future will be even better.

If I had to choose a time period in the past to visit, it would be 1954, when Roger Bannister broke the four minute mile and made the "impossible" possible.

Stevopedia
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Jan 2008, 9:04 pm

20th century, mostly from the 1920s on, up to and including the 1990s, and with some overlap into the late 1800s and also significant interest in the 2000s.

I also have some interest in the Renaissance/Age of Enlightenment/whatever you want to call it from the mid-1600s on to the early 1800s.

...Heck with it. I love human history-- all of it from recorded history on (prehistory isn't my kind of thing.)

I often wish I had a time machine.

lkonantz
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Jan 2008, 9:20 pm

Late 17th century (1650 to 1714) because I've been doing research on this period for the last 5 years. However, I do like other periods in history, too like WWII, the Victorian era, 1920s and 1930s. Also, I like the the Regnecy period, too.

Spiral153
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Jan 2008, 10:17 pm

History was always one of my favorite subjects in school, and though I'm no longer in school, I still like learning about ancient history in particular. I like learning about how certain civilizations came to be, and about what life was like in ancient times. And, I really like historical movies, especially those that take place in ancient times.

But I also happen to be fascinated by the Victorian Era.

SirJoseph
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Jan 2008, 1:07 am

oh this is fun!! okay id really like to visit the ancient world. sumer would be a good start for reasons already mentioned. i would like to meet the first bronzesmiths. i would like to see how the indo-european languages, culture, and religion spread across europe. what kinds of names did these people have? i want to see what europe was like in the late bronze age. how did society run in northern europe. were there kingdoms well never know about? i wouldve like to have witnessed the battle of qadesh. i want to know who really made the first iron sword. then i would like to know exactly how the anglo-saxons settled england (autonomous villages with a chieftain or already ruling kings and their subordinate clans?) and what was the social structure like in anglo-saxon england? who is odin/wotan based on? okay mostly im into the bronze age, indo-europeans, and sumerians but the dark ages were cool too. oh and as far as recent history, i liked a lot of things from the 80s.