Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Soma
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Sep 2005, 12:19 am

For those of you who know me, you'll know that I've had a massive teacher issue. I believed it was over, but I've stuffed it up, BAD. I started writing my own autobiography about 2 weeks ago. I wrote 8k words. What I was doing was I was dealing with the drama, first, then I'd deal with other things. I gave this chunk to the teacher to read, and I suppose it was pretty potent. She chucked a really hurt spazzy at me, telling me that I "should be confident that I've seen your side for a long time." that "I can't say a word without you taking it differently. You'll notice S****, that I'm saying less and less to you. I can't afford to! S**** I can't put my arm round you, can't hold your hand, can't smile without you interpreting it differently! You won't even give me eye contact! S****!" I apologised, verbally, written, and by way of a tulip on her desk, and she accepts this. However, she's now on stress leave, because of me. I do not know what she found so potent in my writing, it could be so many things, but, the school councellor wishes to have outside councelling for me, as this whole drama with her has hurt me so much. I don't want to dredge up everything, again, as it hurts so much to. However, coz I was stupid in giving my experiences to her, I've put a grown woman on stress leave. I'm struggling to deal with what I've done.

Henry David Thoureau, 1854

ljbouchard
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2005, 7:22 am

I do not know.

If a High School English Teacher gets stressed out by the writings of one student, maybe they should not be teaching anyways.

"Only when all those who surround you are different, do you truly belong."
---------------------------------------------------
Fred Tate Little Man Tate

Namiko
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2005, 9:07 am

Maybe you should have had someone else read over it and then let the teacher, but someone you trust. I know a lot of teachers don't know what makes aspies tick, and maybe this is because they have never really taught anyone with AS/autism.

When I think of more to say, I'll PM you, okay?

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2005, 11:33 am

Soma:

I have thought of you all along when I have read your posts/blog subscriptions. Sometimes what we want is not what we get. I believe someone would just ask you to deal with it, but I can also tell that you are capable of taking a stand.

If I were you, I would express myself with authority, and understand that people in administration do have compassion. If you do not understand this method, just try your very best to do it. I have confidence in you.

I would now like to express my deep sympathies for you. I hope things go well for you in the near future.

pyraxis
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2005, 4:12 pm

Soma - check your PM's - I wrote you a response.

irishmic
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Sep 2005, 8:11 pm

Sounds to me like the teacher needed therapy long before you came along.
Hopefully she willl get it.

I really try not to project my feelings onto my students, or reflect theirs when to do so would be inappropriate it.

Because I am a rather sensitive Aspie, I also have therapy sessions at least twice a month while teaching just in case there is something that really needs to be looked at.

All of this and my meditation time helps to keep me even.

If anything, you helped the teacher see that she needed help.

mikibacsi1124
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2005, 8:18 pm

So wait - does your teacher know you're an Aspie?

EaglesRNo1
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 Sep 2005, 8:31 pm

If everyone here has an IEP like I do, all of your teachers should know you're an aspie.

Soma
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Sep 2005, 2:02 am

Personally, (She came back, I had a previously scheduled appointment, got serious attitude...) She knows that I'm an aspie, officially, but when the Aspie speaker came, I think she must've fallen asleep. She treats me like I'm a NT, forces me to give eye contact, etc. Anyhoo, I'm gonna have fun with the school councellor over this :roll: Great! She knows, but I don't think it's quite sunk in with her.

Henry David Thoureau, 1854

ljbouchard
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2005, 7:56 am

I do not understand how this is your fault that the teacher has a problem with your disability. I think it is the teachers problem and the teacher should have to deal with it.

I hope the counsler is not trying to state that it is your problem. If they are, then I would suggest getting your parents involved because it would be like saying that a teacher had issues that a parapalegic could not write but it is the parapalegic persons fault that they cannot write.

"Only when all those who surround you are different, do you truly belong."
---------------------------------------------------
Fred Tate Little Man Tate

tallgirl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Sep 2005, 10:52 am

Quote:
he treats me like I'm a NT, forces me to give eye contact, etc

It seems to me that your teacher is trying to help you adapt socially, as in teach you NT behavior, because he thinks his job is to teach you these things.

My Mom is a teacher and she has had AS kids in her class before. The AS kids have an aide and I know the aide teaches them to make eye contact and helps them learn to control the volume of their voices. The aides think this behavior modification is appropriate and helpful for the student.

Your teacher might actually believe he is helping you.

Also, remember us Aspies tend to be very self-centered, so quite honestly, you are probably not the sole reason that the teacher took stress leave, but you might have been the straw that broke the camel's back or in other words, the last thing he needed to deal with that day. There are other students in your classes and I am sure a lot of them have tales of woe, which only the admin. and teachers know. I know my Mom gets quite depressed sometimes, knowing what her students have to live through at home, etc. every day.

Also, some of us Aspies like to really make deep connections with other people. It sounds like your behavior is obsessive and you need to let the matter drop and leave it alone, not only for your sake, but the teacher's.

That is just my 2c, but seriously the world doesn't revolve around you. I tell myself that constantly when I wonder what people are thinking of me, or if they'll remember something I did that I am embarrassed about.

Tallgirl.

fiver

21 Sep 2005, 12:01 am

Soma;
a really bad thought has occurred to me, and i think that if i were you that i would find a neutral place to post the text of what you gave your teacher. this so that it's out in the public domain and can't be miss quoted in future dealings that you may have with the school over this.....

just my opinion...

5er....