Page 3 of 5 [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2008, 5:37 pm

skahthik, you've reached about $1,000 with all your dreams. What would you do with the remaining $9,999,000??

woodsman25
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

14 Jan 2008, 6:00 pm

I would donate 1,000,000 to the poor and autism resherch and helping middle class familes assist their kids, I know its not alot of money but it would be put to very good use and help quite a few familes I am sure.

The other 9,000,000 would be divided up by day * 100 years (assuming I live to be 125, hehe) and every day i would put $250 or so in my pocket, never work again and use the increased income that I make compaired to the $100 or so I make daily at work and buy a house and live modestly, efficently so the money lasts thru my life and even a little extra to go to my children.

Brooks
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Jan 2008, 8:36 pm

Retire and invest the money. Assuming that I can keep say 6,000,000 after paying off the IRS, I can invest that at a modest 5% (current rate for 1 year Certificate of Deposit) and make about 300k a year initially. Take part of that, say 20% and turn it back into investments to out run inflation, and I can live out the rest of my years not really worrying about money.

santabarbarian
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 Jan 2008, 10:35 pm

I'd buy plenty of real estate then travel. Think warm beaches for both.

And lots of women and coke.
Oh yeah that charity stuff too.

Fisplen
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2015, 2:18 pm

10 million dollars... Thats roughly £6.4 Million pounds, a decent amount of money to suddenly have.

What would I do with it?

Well, I'd cast aside £27000 incase I manage to get into a business degree at Cardiff after sixth form in a few years, after that I'd put 25%, around of the £6.4 million towards my family, giving equal amounts to selected members, so that's 1.6 million gone, I have exactly £4773000 left.

So £4.7 million, money I can do whatever I wish with, hmm... around 50000 of it would be kept for a European Road trip I had initially planned for my early 20's and much less grand at 25000, but now with sufficient funds I won't be having a budget trip in 2024, I'll be having a richer experience in 2017, my gap year now that I can afford one.

Now I'd probably put away the vast majority of the remainder, about £3.7 million, away in my bank account to start up a business and probably get an apartment after I've left Uni in around 6 years or so.

That leaves me with a comfortable 1 million to do with as I please, should last me well into my twenties if I maintain the low social life I have now.

If only this actually were real, feels like it is when I'm talking about it like that... sigh

EDIT: To those wondering why some of it isn't been given to Charity, well I'd feel it would be more worthwhile to save what money I have into making a successful business run, and then when that starts running well, I'll give out monthly funds to various charities, in the long run, its a better deal for both of us.

Soomander
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 Jul 2015, 2:36 pm

Knives. Buy lots of knives. After that I'd probably buy land and have a self sustaining compound made.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

20 Jul 2015, 2:46 pm

Buy a house, try to set up some businesses, invest, perhaps some political advocacy, maybe even run for office.

Deb1970
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2015, 6:06 pm

Build a log cabin in a remote location in Canada and enjoy not having to communicate daily with other humans.

- Edgar Allan Poe -

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2015, 6:14 pm

Greentea wrote:
If $10M landed right now in your bank account or doorstep, out of nowhere, what would you do with it?
Hire a lawyer, one that specializes in setting up blind trusts, and establish a retirement trust fund that will guaranty a weekly stipend for me for the rest of my life. This trust find would be based on a diversified portfolio of bonds and low-risk stock investments.

So, if the fund yields an annual dividend of 3% on the principle, then the weekly stipend would be ($10,000,000 x 0.03) / 52, or $300,000 / 52, or a weekly stipend of $5,769.23!

Who couldn't live on that?

8)

kamiyu910
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2015, 6:23 pm

Is this before or after taxes? Or is it tax free?
If it's a total of $10mil after taxes, or tax free, I would pay off our $200,000 in debt, pay off my parents' and my in-laws debts (maybe $400,000??), buy my SIL a good horse farm ($200,000-$500,000) so she wouldn't have to deal with crap heads anymore, might find my husband a good job doing what he loves in a good place for us to move to out in the middle of nowhere ($400,000 or so), invest some, and then have the rest in a bank account accruing interest.
Oh and I'd buy myself a Tesla, and a suit of armor from Prince Armory.
That would leave me around $8.4 mil to sit on.

Hmm... maybe buy my inlaws a Mercedes motorhome that does everything... super horse trailer and truck to tow it.... buy my dad an awesome shop with all the Snap-On tools he could want... get my brother a car that actually works... Support the Magic Castle and go there every once in a while but not too often... Take my family to Europe to see all the places our ancestors came from, take my husband to Japan for so many reasons... Support my favorite indie games/movies/shows/etc....

There are a lot of things to do... I could easily blow through $10mil.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2015, 6:34 pm

Even after taxes (assuming 40%) that's still $3.461.54 per week. Even at a 50% tax rate, it would still be $2,884.62 per week!

Enough to rent a one-bedroom walk-up in California, or a three-bedroom flat in Michigan.

Or buy a four-bedroom, 2.5 bath, detached single-family dwelling with a full kitchen and a fenced-in yard in the Philippines, and still have enough left over for a housekeeper and three square meals a day for four people.

So ... show me the money!

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2015, 8:32 pm

Make an effort to close the Judge Rotenberg Center, Pay some marketing/PR firm(s) to counter Autism Speaks

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

2cat007
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Jul 2015, 11:26 pm

I would take a big chuck of it and donate it to different charities. Then I'll use another chunk of it to help out the people close to me.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2015, 11:48 pm

put $2 million in an annuity and retire on the proceeds. send my sister to college. publish my nephew's books. underwrite a local peer support social work program so folks not on medicaid could access it. donate a big chunk to the local park so they wouldn't be so dependent on yearly donations. any leftovers would go to childfund international.

TristahK
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Oct 2016, 9:46 am

Keep arround 20 thousand to help paying future debt and other needs. Then proceed to burn the rest, wealth is for greedy neurotypicals.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2016, 10:19 am

Buy a house in the middle of nowhere. I'm not sure it would change my life much, I'd still stay in all the time.

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard