Page 1 of 4 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2008, 2:52 pm

What signs show you that someone is inequivocally an NT?

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2008, 3:01 pm

strict adherence to social 'rules' with out even being able to explain how they know what to do in each situation. They just 'know'.

angelgirl1224
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2008, 3:04 pm

The thing is, You can't really tell. Not really. Fact.

13 Jan 2008, 3:22 pm

You don't, you just assume they are.

I should start asking how many o them aren't NTs. Everywhere I go, I see people but we don't know if they have any conditions because they are inside of them. We just assume they're all NTs when half of them could have mild schizophrenia, ADHD/ADD, brain damage, other neurological conditions.

Wrackspurt
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2008, 4:41 pm

I have an idea when someone is at ease talking with people, they also make a lot of facial expressions that fit what they are talking about. No awkwardness.

Remnant
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2008, 4:48 pm

He's the guy I'm stomping crap out of for having picked on me for being different.

kindofbluenote
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Jan 2008, 4:49 pm

sinsboldly wrote:
strict adherence to social 'rules' with out even being able to explain how they know what to do in each situation. They just 'know'.

I suppose that if there is a giveaway, this is it. I've had countless arguments with people who would "feel" something, and treat it as if it were the truth. If they "felt" that 2+2=7, then it might as well be.

I had a girlfriend who "felt" that I was unfaithful, and no matter what I did to prove her wrong, it didn't matter. After I convinced her of my fidelity, she was still mad at me. The reason? She wasn't upset at me for cheating, she was upset because she felt I was cheating.

What on Earth can a guy do to defend himself against that?

I gave up on dating, and I'm happier.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2008, 4:57 pm

it is by the sense of functionality and togetherness that they seem to express

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2008, 5:04 pm

The guys speak Gangsta, and the girls speak, Valley.

howzat
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2008, 5:46 pm

Most NTs i have come across r just a bunch of wannabe celebs which in my opinion is very sad.

lastcrazyhorn
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2008, 5:50 pm

They smell different.

Think cologne, oodles of body wash, etc.

BATMAN: I'll do everything I can to rehabilitate you.
CATWOMAN: Marry me.
BATMAN: Everything except that.

http://lastcrazyhorn.wordpress.com - "Odd One Out: Reality with a refreshing slice of aspie"

Syd
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2008, 5:58 pm

I'm a bit disappointed to find that a number of WP members seem to maintain a hostility towards NTs - focusing intently on the differences between AS and NT personalities instead of considering ways of connecting with NTs despite the difficulties we've faced in the past. I came to this community in the hopes that members would be above discrimination and segregation.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2008, 6:05 pm

The T NT topic

How typical is your neurotypical?

I have this sort of checklist, and this is the first time I have delineated it:
Neurotypical behaviour in a person

A person who does not analyze, or fears analysis.

A person who is always worrying about his or her appearance.

A person who adheres to popular clothing and hair style and is fearful of not being de regeur.

A person who likes to cower in groups, who is afraid to speak up.

A person who can lie through his or her teeth, and try to get away with it. This person has little remorse for having made mistakes, and does not learn from past errors.

A person who has a sort of blindfolded faith in rules but who lacks a set of internalized moral and ethical principles.

A person who lacks self awareness and conveniently forgets things in order to manipulate events and people.

I realize some of these manifested NT traits, in negation, sound rather extremely brutal but such negative qualities, depressing as they seem, are desireable and even rewarded, at least until they become more and more destructive, for example the ideology of nazism and its adherents.

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2008, 6:11 pm

Syd wrote:
I'm a bit disappointed to find that a number of WP members seem to maintain a hostility towards NTs - focusing intently on the differences between AS and NT personalities instead of considering ways of connecting with NTs despite the difficulties we've faced in the past. I came to this community in the hopes that members would be above discrimination and segregation.

pardon me, but I suppose you are being serious.
you are suggesting that somehow a group of people that have been discriminated and segregated are going to be all noble and forgiving to those that have rejected and used them.

we are Autistic, Syd, not saints!

Merle

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2008, 6:22 pm

Syd wrote:

Just after I posted my thoughts I read this post by Syd.

I realize the traits and behaviours I listed are extreme, and I am not pointing fingers at individual NTs who are very supportive and caring. I wrote out this list in anger, and I certainly had a few nasty NTs in mind when I wrote them, including the nazi hitler. I am working through my anger after having been depressed for a time.

At some point when we are able to trust NTs to respect us and our differences then we can work together toward a common goal, much like improved race and political relations.

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

Syd
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2008, 6:35 pm

I know guys, I was expecting too much. Thanks for clarifying. In the first few weeks I've been here, I've seen a lot of mature and interesting people. I have to be honest though, when I say that the tendency for some members to only praise AS traits (while degrading NTs) really sours my impression of an otherwise friendly community.

There's no real harm in simple comments on an internet forum. The real issue is whether or not an AS person carries such an attitude with them in all aspects of life, or whether what's said here is mainly said in jest.

WP is a rather large forum, and as such can have a major influence on those with AS (especially young ones) who are growing and forming perceptions of the world.

I'm only saying this out of love, I care deeply about all human beings and would prefer a peaceful world. Keep up the positivity.

Last edited by Syd on 13 Jan 2008, 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.