Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Sifr
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Jan 2008, 7:45 pm

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
Sifr wrote:
The main problem here is the definition of the term Yom/Yaum. Evangelicals outright declare that it literally means a day in any context. That is incorrect. Therefore, they are incorrect and merely follow their own beliefs. No one can declare how "old" existence is.

I know that the word for day used does not necessarily literally mean day which is why they can shift to old earth creationism, however, you are not referring to scientific background but rather scriptural background when you make your counterargument.

Quote:

Adam and Eve could have been many people. Their titles/descriptions give more significance to the story than their actual historicity.

So? You are appealing to a scriptural interpretation that they don't believe in.

Quote:
I do happen to believe in the infallible nature of scriptures, but in order for that to occur, the stories cannot be completely taken as literal. It would be incredulous.

Yes, but these stories involve the divine, which means that there is always an out for those who believe in their literalness. I mean, I am not arguing how scriptures *should* be interpreted, I am arguing that one can interpret them a certain way and that non-scriptural knowledge or intelligence cannot be blamed for this.

Absolutely incorrect. You can blame these groups but who will do the blaming?

People are afraid of casting blame. Why do you think many middle easterners have yet to fully denounce the so-called "martyrs"?

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2008, 7:50 pm

Sifr wrote:

People are afraid of casting blame. Why do you think many middle easterners have yet to fully denounce the so-called "martyrs"?

Meh. I don't care what people think and I don't think that blame exists outside of moral constructs and that those who carry these beliefs hold to moral constructs different from my own. Therefore, I say meh.

Sifr
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Jan 2008, 8:18 pm

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
Sifr wrote:

Meh. I don't care what people think and I don't think that blame exists outside of moral constructs and that those who carry these beliefs hold to moral constructs different from my own. Therefore, I say meh.

Eh, well. I still believe that there is a definitive view that everyone who adheres to a certain scripture should follow. Anyone that strays deviates from that adherence. This is the reason why i don't claim any particular brand of faith, just "monism".

Martin Luther knew damn well what he was doing. :lol: