Thinking of starting an AS college group in San Antonio

Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

darkness2004
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

15 Jan 2008, 12:08 am

Hey y'all. I moved to San Antonio from the Detroit-Metro area about six months ago with the aim of starting a completely new life and also to start meeting other Aspies. I sort of came out of the closet about six months ago, started really accepting what I am. This is why I've been really disappointed by the low number of Aspies that I've found so far. Seriously, I've only found maybe two on WP and none so far on the street.

With SA being such a big city, I refuse to accept that there aren’t any more than I've found so far. So instead of searching the internet, looking for Aspies or Aspie support groups in the SA area, I've been considering forming my own. All the support groups I've found are mostly for children and their parents, and none just specifically for adults and their respective needs. I'm looking for college-age Aspies (18-30). Overtime, that can expand, but I want to start with people my age. I was thinking of it being just a college club thing. You know, we hang out, play video games, watch anime, go to events like movies, talk about AS-related issues, and offer advice to members in need of it. Nothing too deep or serious, just a place to go and feel belonged like every other college group on a typical campus.

I currently go to SAC (San Antonio Community College). I was thinking that we can do most of our activities there. They do have a group there for people with all types of disabilities. I called the leader and asked him if there was anyone in the group with AS or HFA, but he said he couldn't say because that was a personal question of his members. I don't think that there are anyway, because when I said "Asperger's syndrome," he asked what it was. That was a good indicator to me. It’s better if it’s just us Aspies anyway.

So please, if you have AS or HFA, currently in college, live in the San Antonio, and are interested or know someone who is, please e-mail me or respond to this tread. I want to see if there’s enough interest to get this started.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2008, 5:59 am

I'm pretty much in the same situation, except replace San Antonio with either Dallas-Ft. Worth or Oklahoma City.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

LonelyCat
Butterfly
Butterfly

25 Mar 2008, 6:00 pm

darkness2004 wrote:
Hey y'all. I moved to San Antonio from the Detroit-Metro area about six months ago with the aim of starting a completely new life and also to start meeting other Aspies. I sort of came out of the closet about six months ago, started really accepting what I am. This is why I've been really disappointed by the low number of Aspies that I've found so far. Seriously, I've only found maybe two on WP and none so far on the street.

With SA being such a big city, I refuse to accept that there aren’t any more than I've found so far. So instead of searching the internet, looking for Aspies or Aspie support groups in the SA area, I've been considering forming my own. All the support groups I've found are mostly for children and their parents, and none just specifically for adults and their respective needs. I'm looking for college-age Aspies (18-30). Overtime, that can expand, but I want to start with people my age. I was thinking of it being just a college club thing. You know, we hang out, play video games, watch anime, go to events like movies, talk about AS-related issues, and offer advice to members in need of it. Nothing too deep or serious, just a place to go and feel belonged like every other college group on a typical campus.

I currently go to SAC (San Antonio Community College). I was thinking that we can do most of our activities there. They do have a group there for people with all types of disabilities. I called the leader and asked him if there was anyone in the group with AS or HFA, but he said he couldn't say because that was a personal question of his members. I don't think that there are anyway, because when I said "Asperger's syndrome," he asked what it was. That was a good indicator to me. It’s better if it’s just us Aspies anyway.

So please, if you have AS or HFA, currently in college, live in the San Antonio, and are interested or know someone who is, please e-mail me or respond to this tread. I want to see if there’s enough interest to get this started.

Hey I'd love to start a group here in San Antonio. Or has there been one started? Where would we meet then? PM me please. I am actually really hoping to meet an Aspie in real life, not just online. What are your favorite hangouts? I play Texas Hold 'Em by the way. You play?

darkness2004
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

26 Mar 2008, 12:41 pm

Hey! Glad someone finally got back with me. Well I go to San Antonio College downtown, so if we can't meet down there, we'll find out something else. I've never played Texas hold 'em so I guess you'll have to teach me. We'll see what happens. :)

Mudboy
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2008, 3:44 pm

I would like to meet up too.

Lordnarfington
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 Apr 2008, 5:52 pm

I'm down...Itd be nice to have people to talk with

JakeWilson
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Apr 2008, 12:27 am

I'm in College Station / Corpus Christi so it would be a drive for me from either direction.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2008, 2:20 pm

I will be relocating to San Marcos in August.

EvilKimEvil
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2008, 4:16 pm

I just moved away from San Antonio after living there for 3 years. Too bad. I would have joined your group (if grad students were welcome).

I used to live down the street from SAC in a sketchy old apartment building. I miss San Antonio, but I had good reasons for leaving.

darkness2004
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

14 Apr 2008, 5:24 am

Hey everyone. I heard from Mudboy that there are quite a few SA Aspies that want to attend the group now. I just want to let you all know that I need the next few weeks to study for the last few weeks of my term. It ends in May. I'm also opening the group up to parents of Aspies that want to attend with their children and NT friends of any Aspie that wants to attend as long as they are respectful. Also, if you're just outside of the age range, don't feel that you cannot come. I only gave that to let people know that this an adult group and not one for young children. We're in the middle of planning something in May. If you're interested or have suggestions or know someone that is, please don't hesitate to contribute it here. Thank you all!

Congratulations Tim. I'm glad you finally decided to relocate. I think you'll find better things now. Nothing but blessings have come my way since I moved here from Detroit. Good luck to you buddy!

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2008, 7:42 am

darkness2004 wrote:
Hey everyone. I heard from Mudboy that there are quite a few SA Aspies that want to attend the group now. I just want to let you all know that I need the next few weeks to study for the last few weeks of my term. It ends in May. I'm also opening the group up to parents of Aspies that want to attend with their children and NT friends of any Aspie that wants to attend as long as they are respectful. Also, if you're just outside of the age range, don't feel that you cannot come. I only gave that to let people know that this an adult group and not one for young children. We're in the middle of planning something in May. If you're interested or have suggestions or know someone that is, please don't hesitate to contribute it here. Thank you all!

Congratulations Tim. I'm glad you finally decided to relocate. I think you'll find better things now. Nothing but blessings have come my way since I moved here from Detroit. Good luck to you buddy!

I won't be moving until August, however. I am currently halfway between Dallas and Lubbock, so it will be a welcome change.

darkness2004
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

09 May 2008, 7:50 pm

Okay guys. I'm finally out of school now. If any of you have any ideas on times or places to meet, I'd love to hear them!

Mudboy
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2008, 4:38 pm

Thursday after work at starbucks for introductions

Justthatgirl11
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 May 2008, 4:57 pm

I don't live near downtown. I'm on the north side, De Zavala/I-10. Anyone wanna hit up the Starbucks there? It's w/ the Barnes & Noble in the plaza w/ the HEB and Target.

8O I'm freaked out. New ppl!

BTW, I don't go to college. Is that ok?

darkness2004
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

11 May 2008, 12:24 pm

Sounds good. Hopefully I won't be working this Thursday. I won't know for sure until Wednesday unfortunately. You can come Justthatgirl11. Since this group is just starting, I'm in no position to be overly stringint about membership requirements. Just as long as we're all in San Antonio or the surrounding area and at or around the "young adult" age range. As I said before, relatives and NT friends (tolerant ones) are also welcome. Does anyone have an objection to the I-10 Starbucks location? We can always discuss a better hang out later on if it is too inconvenient. I just basically want to get this thing started for the moment. I will post as soon as I know my availably this week. I hope I'm free. I'm really looking forward to meeting you all. Thank you all for showing interest.

Justthatgirl11
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 May 2008, 6:29 pm

I'm in walking distance to that Starbucks, so nearly any day works for me. I might drag my husband, if the time works w/ his schedule. :)