Page 15 of 16 [ 241 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

Are you a good driver?
Yes 43%  43%  [ 289 ]
Fairly 26%  26%  [ 174 ]
Not so much 11%  11%  [ 76 ]
No 20%  20%  [ 131 ]
Total votes : 670

liveandrew
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Jan 2017, 4:09 pm

MicMurphy wrote:
I think I'm pretty terrible at driving, personally. However, the people around me on a daily basis usually say that I'm "great" at it most of the time, save for some of the times when they had to call me out mid-driving session on something that I'm doing.

Now I'm not saying that I am experienced at all. I am aware that I am a young lady who is learning how to drive, and being a young lady on the spectrum it's hard especially when there are impatient drivers around me, or when I have to recognize when to slow down before the oncoming traffic at the light; etc.

I want people to read what I say here in my first post on this site, despite being a user on here for many years; I never really had to use this site for help. And now is the time for me, and hopefully anyone else who may be in the same or similar boat as I am in; to try to be an influence somehow.

I especially hate it whenever drivers pass by me and my life aide (since I have only a driving permit, not a license) and give me a look or even a nasty hand signal at me, it's like come on guys, I may not look it but I have Asperger's Syndrome and I'm still learning how to freaking drive with most of yawl.

So sorry for this long post. I just wanted to put it out there where someone, anyone, can try to help me and anyone else who needs the help! :nerdy:

EDIT: Please try to be detailed if yawl can. My mind (and I'm sure that a lot of other Aspies and ADs) needs specific instructions and details... Thank you so much!!

I'm not sure what your question is but I'm assuming that it's something like "how can I drive better and/or more confidently?". If I was to give one piece of advice it would be to learn to read the road far in advance of your position. Don't just look at the car in front of you but many cars in front. If you see the forth car in front of you brake then it give you more time to do the same. Obviously, you still need to check the car immediately in front of you as well, but try to do both.

Another thing: If you're like me, you will have trouble doing more than one thing at a time and this includes talking to passengers. Don't be afraid to tell them to shut the hell up when driving conditions get tricky.

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 46 of 200

Listener of all things noisy, viewer of all things bloody, writer of all things sh*t.

eet
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Jan 2017, 4:14 pm

I guess I’d be a pretty good driver if it weren’t for other people interfering. :lol:

I can’t tolerate anyone behind me – the closer they get the worse, and that goes for any situation (not just for driving).
I live in Scandinavia, where the roads are covered in ice and snow most of the time, and that doesn't make it any easier.

There are virtually no traffic lights where I live, but ridiculously many roundabouts. As I’m not very good at estimating distance and speed, it’s hard for me to draw the line (Can I still get in or should I wait?) …

What I like is being a passenger - with a driver I trust, that is. That can really calm me down (if the driver is so kind as not to speak to me).

FreakyZettairyouiki
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

25 Jan 2017, 9:15 am

I think at this point I'm a fairly good driver. However, I am a really slow learner. I still have my permit and it took me ages to get to a competent driving level. My driving instructor was so worried because I was learning slower than other kids. I already felt weird enough about getting my license later than usual. I still have trouble with depth perception and I struggled with cutting the wheel. My dad yells at me a lot when we drive in a narrow lane. It's frustrating. Also I have to multitask so much and it's so draining.

mered288
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Jan 2017, 12:18 pm

I don't know how to answer this question. I am good at knowing my abilities and staying within them. Each area of the US has its own driving norms. I was a great driver in Oregon where people obey the speed limit, let people in, and most roads are 2 lanes. I struggled in eastern Massachusetts where driving is like a game of chicken. The prevailing wisdom seemed to be go where you want and let other drivers avoid you. I was a road hazard in southern California where everyone drives at least 15 miles over the speed limit, nobody lets anyone in and through roads are 6 lanes or more. Busy 6 lane roads cause sensory overload.

JohnnyLurg
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Jan 2017, 12:43 pm

I'm 25, never got a driver's license and likely never will as I live in a small town and take public transit to work and anywhere else I need to go.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2017, 4:39 pm

I was a car nut in my teens, and dad let me practice on our farm driveway at age 15, after driving tractors, etc. After two weeks, he noticed that all the gravel had shifted over on the turn, and told me to stop. At 16 + 2 weeks, I got my chauffeur's licence, driving stick shift on ice. I've steered out of a couple of accidents and driven taxi. I've also gone decades not owning a car, but bicycling everywhere. I also did some epic cross-country trips. Fifteen years ago, I switched from sporty driving to maximum economy style, which is just as much fun.
One time, I'd let my license lapse, but was with a group that wanted more drivers available, so three of us were rounded up and sent out with a qualified driver to practice. When it was my turn, I pulled out onto a busy street with some snow, and the instructor told me to turn left and practice parallel parking on a side street. There was a lot of oncoming traffic, and I didn't want to block a lane just for that, so I went to the next street, where the situation was the same. The instructor got impatient then, and I saw that if I hurried, there was time to make the third turn without stopping. I had to control a minor slide through the turn, and then did a quick reverse into a single parking spot. "OK, Next" said the instructor.

rats_and_cats
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2017, 4:56 pm

I'm usually a law-abiding driver, though I've screwed up plenty of times and I can't drive on the interstate because I don't trust my reflexes at that speed. The social aspect of driving, which I never thought was a thing, is also something I struggle with. One time I had to sit through three red lights because even with my turn signal on nobody would let me turn. Everybody behind me drove on the shoulder of the road past me and flipped me off. What should I have done, just start turning even though there's an unbroken line of cars in the way? People seem a lot meaner when they drive than they are in person. I wonder if it's because you usually can't see the person behind the wheel and it's harder to empathize because of that?

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2017, 5:12 pm

rats_and_cats wrote:
I'm usually a law-abiding driver, though I've screwed up plenty of times and I can't drive on the interstate because I don't trust my reflexes at that speed. The social aspect of driving, which I never thought was a thing, is also something I struggle with. One time I had to sit through three red lights because even with my turn signal on nobody would let me turn. Everybody behind me drove on the shoulder of the road past me and flipped me off. What should I have done, just start turning even though there's an unbroken line of cars in the way? People seem a lot meaner when they drive than they are in person. I wonder if it's because you usually can't see the person behind the wheel and it's harder to empathize because of that?

Watch how others handle that situation. Usually, the first car at a red light moves into the intersection so that it is sure to succeed as the light changes, usually with at least one more. You may also be waiting for longer than usual gaps. Don't aim for the middle of a gap; try to just miss the bumper that opens your gate.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

25 Jan 2017, 5:17 pm

At this point I feel like it is pretty late to learn but it's really hard in life not being able to. The driving out here is nuts, they drive so fast and aggressive in this part of the country and there is just so many more people that I am used to. I think I could maybe learn in a slower area but I don't know, I don't have confidence with myself but I think I am going to have to force myself to try eventually. Sensory stuff is a big concern, I'm worried about freezing up or getting distracted and making the wrong decision. I knew of somebody that died in accident just the other month before Christmas, it's scary!

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2017, 5:23 pm

I was 25 when I got my driving license. It was for recreational use to visit parks and museums.

rats_and_cats
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2017, 6:50 pm

I got my license at 18, and I know people who got theirs at 30.

My classmates were disappointed because due to cutoff date BS I'm almost a year older than most kids in my class and they expected me to be one of the first to get my license.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2017, 6:58 pm

I didn't get my license until I was 37.

I drive cautiously, but not too cautiously. I stay well behind cars on the highway--especially when it's raining.

People get really stupid sometimes---they honk at you just as the light turns green!

I live in Queens, NYC, which is not like Manhattan at all. Manhattan driving is its own animal. I've adjusted to Manhattan driving, though.

foxant
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Jan 2017, 8:01 pm

i dont drive it because i have fear of dying in a accident, since my reflex are slow.

Special Interest: memes

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2017, 12:31 pm

I would say I'm an okay driver. I follow all the rules, but I am often slow to react in situations. I did pass my road test on my first attempt. I really don't like driving though and prefer to be the passenger whenever possible.

Hangfire
Butterfly
Butterfly

15 Dec 2018, 12:16 pm

I never realized driving was a possible issue in the autistic community. Im a good driver but also enjoy it. Its one of the few things that calms me and clears my mind.
I was surprised to encounter other Aspergians who, if they bothered to get a license, still hated driving and did so as little as possible. Many don’t like the visual and physical multitasking and accounting for the unexpected stupidity of other drivers. For me driving was fluid and second nature

zcientist
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Dec 2018, 12:23 pm

I didn't own a vehicle for eleven years, but I kept a driver's licence just in case I needed a rental car or a moving truck.

Greatest peeve about driving: I'm on a country road going slow wanting to drive with no one around and someone behind me is going faster.

Greatest advantage about driving: Freedom and wide open spaces.