Page 2 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Arby
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Feb 2008, 1:09 am

I pretty much only listen to UK prog rock from the 1970s. Check these out:

Jethro Tull (anything between 1971 and 1978 is strong, pick is Thick As A Brick)
Genesis (Foxtrot, Nursery Cryme, Selling England By The Pound)
Yes (The Yes Album especially is a stunning album but anything to Relayer)
Wishbone Ash (first three albums, especially the third, Argus)
Uriah Heep (anything with David Byron on vocals but Demons & Wizards is the pick)

There's also a great site called progarchives that covers the whole genre right up to current groups like Porcupine Tree, Dream Theatre etc..

Progressive Rock was just made for Aspies - something to engage the brain ! !!

Kirov
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Feb 2008, 6:32 am

Not even a mention of Pink Floyd? Come on, the greatest prog rock band of all time, and you all missed it. :\

psych
Veteran
Veteran

Keoren
Toucan
Toucan

06 Feb 2008, 2:16 pm

I'm a huge fan of prog. My favourite has to be Pain of Salvation. Pink Floyd is probably the close second.

Last edited by Keoren on 08 Feb 2008, 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

silentwisdom
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Feb 2008, 12:49 am

I'm a huge fan of progressive rock, especially the old 70s bands like Genesis, Yes, Rush, Kansas, The Moody Blues, Pink Floyd, etc. There are some good current bands, too, like Dream Theater, Porcupine Tree, Katatonia, Tool, Spock's Beard, and Opeth. Yes is also my favorite band.

It's a shame that this genre isn't more widely known, it beats the pants off anything in popular music.

Britte
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2015, 6:19 am

Rush is what I would probably classify as Progressive Metal, but, I'm not too knowledgeable when it comes to Metal, per se, so, perhaps I am wrong. I am presently trying to educate myself on all of the Metal sub-genre's, as it is the genre I know the least, about. Progressive Rock (eg, Yes, 70's era Genesis, et al) and Avant-garde Jazz are my favorite genres.

Skibz888
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2015, 12:58 pm

Rush undoubtedly influenced progressive metal, but most people would not categorize them as such. The majority of Rush fans don't even categorize them as "metal".

I'd actually even hesitate to label Rush a "progressive rock" band; their '70s output, sure, but since the release of 'Signals' in 1982, they way dialed back the progressive elements in favor of more conventional song structure. They'll throw in the odd time signature here and there, but the days of their lengthy multi-part epics are long gone.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2015, 2:25 pm

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2015, 2:26 pm

Dhp wrote:
Tool is actually Math Rock...a type of Prog Metal. Yet, that band should be up there on that list. Spock's Beard is good too. Oh, and I love Mr. Bungle (crazy, but still considered Prog Rock/Metal). And what about King Crimson? Okay, they're old...but they are still kicking (beep). Check out, "The Construktion of Light" for proof.

Math Rock? what does that mean....I just figured they where prog metal, though I've never been that into them, but it is a band I would suggest to someone to sort of introduce them to the style of prog metal. A lot of stuff I listen to could probably be catagorized as prog metal but would likely fit in other categories to.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2015, 2:33 pm

Griff7272 wrote:
I just realized no one has mentioned Queensryche or Fates Warning

I do like Fates Warning, but thought they where more power metal....though I've only heard some of their stuff mostly older stuff, so maybe they have progressed and incorporated more into their music since the stuff I heard. In fact I have a casette tape of their album Awaken the Guardian.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2015, 2:43 pm

Anyways bands I like that are progressive rock and/or metal:
Pink Floyd
Katatonia
Moonspell
Opeth
The Alan Parsons Project
...other ones I cannot remember the names of at the moment.

Ok honestly that is all I got, except
Dimmu Borgir, they certainly can be categorized as symphonic black metal, but they do so much more and have progressed beyond remaining strictly within the bounds of that style and all their albums sound different than the last. I am sure there are people that would debate my opinion to the death but I see them as quite progressive.

and I will leave this here:

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2015, 4:50 pm

Dhp wrote:
Tool is actually Math Rock...a type of Prog Metal. Yet, that band should be up there on that list. Spock's Beard is good too. Oh, and I love Mr. Bungle (crazy, but still considered Prog Rock/Metal). And what about King Crimson? Okay, they're old...but they are still kicking (beep). Check out, "The Construktion of Light" for proof.

Tool is NOT math rock. Math rock is not a form of metal, it's a form of post-hardcore/indie rock. This an actual example of math rock:

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

Britte
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2015, 5:36 pm

Skibz888 wrote:
Rush undoubtedly influenced progressive metal, but most people would not categorize them as such. The majority of Rush fans don't even categorize them as "metal".

I'd actually even hesitate to label Rush a "progressive rock" band; their '70s output, sure, but since the release of 'Signals' in 1982, they way dialed back the progressive elements in favor of more conventional song structure. They'll throw in the odd time signature here and there, but the days of their lengthy multi-part epics are long gone.

Thanks for that! I was trying to think of bands I have heard, that I could hear elements of both, however, I am completely useless, when it comes to what is officially known as "Metal". I am a fan of 'Bauhaus'. There is a Bauhaus album called Crackle that consists of what I hear as Metal infused with elements of other styles/genres, but, someone who is into Metal, or highly knowledgeable regarding the genre, would perhaps laugh at the fact that I hear it is as a type of Metal, or maybe, not. I have never been that into Rush, although, I think they are/were incredibly talented. They were the band that came to mind, when I tried to fuse together the two genres, anyway.. I'm rambling.. thanks for your explanation/input!

Skibz888
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2015, 5:49 pm

Britte wrote:
Skibz888 wrote:

Thanks for that! I was trying to think of bands I have heard, that I could hear elements of both, however, I am completely useless, when it comes to what is officially known as "Metal". I am a fan of 'Bauhaus'. There is a Bauhaus album called Crackle that consists of what I hear as Metal infused with elements of other styles/genres, but, someone who is into Metal, or highly knowledgeable regarding the genre, would perhaps laugh at the fact that I hear it is as a type of Metal, or maybe, not. I have never been that into Rush, although, I think they are/were incredibly talented. They were the band that came to mind, when I tried to fuse together the two genres, anyway.. I'm rambling.. thanks for your explanation/input!

I'm a huge Bauhaus fan; they were the fathers of the genre known as gothic rock, which is basically a sub-genre of post-punk. 'Crackle' is a greatest hits album covering their career up to that point. And no, most people wouldn't classify them as metal.

Valkerie
Butterfly
Butterfly

01 Aug 2015, 1:29 am

Can't go wrong with The Black Mages. Nobuo Uematsu's band is always worth a listen. :mrgreen:

Skibz888
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2015, 1:57 am

Out of all the prog albums released this year so far, I'm going particularly nuts for:

Steven Wilson - 'Hand. Cannot. Erase' (probably his best solo work)
Anekdoten - 'Until All the Ghosts Are Gone'
Arcane - 'Known/Learned'
Nordic Giants - 'A Seance of Dark Delusions'

There's a good dozen or so other albums I think are quite solid, but those four have really stuck out to me. Following those would include the newest by District 97, Sanguine Hum, Neal Morse, Klone and God is an Astronaut.

Despite the buzz, I really haven't been feeling the new Beardfish or Leprous.