Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Dino_Poop
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Jan 2008, 1:25 pm

My bosses’ position was just eliminated so I now report to the VP of operations for my division. My old boss morphed the department and my position into one which requires allot of meetings and corroboration. Fortunately my performance in meetings was less than stellar so the invites quite coming. My boss had not even said good morning to me in the last three months, so life was good.
Now my boss has been fired and I am worried that the VP will start expecting me to act like an NT and do more than sit in my cubical hole and worship the silicon god. When he gets back from Atlanta he is going to meet with us individually to discuss our positions. Should I tell him that I am an aspie and that he will get performance out of me as long as I am left alone? I have reached the point in my career where if I wanted advance any more I would have to network and schmooze and all those other things that so many people seem to do naturally. Fortunately I am not ambitious, I just want to be left alone to run my reports and manage my databases.
I really do need advice on how to deal with my new boss. The other ones either ignored me or learned how to deal with me in way which got results, but this guy is third level management and is obviously driven and ambitious.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2008, 3:16 pm

Hopefully you should be able to communicate with your new boss....everyone is different and as long as you are an effective employee in your own way, you boss ought to let you continue to work in the way that is most effective for you...
As far as telling your boss that you are an aspie...I am leery of using the lable without official diagnosis to back it up...even though....it helps to be able to comunicate your particular idiosyncracies to the people who you will be working for.
I received extra leeway at a particular job where i worked after I letting them know i was an ADDer....They gave me extra time to do stuff and leaniency when i made mistakes..That really helped....

kornik
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Jan 2008, 11:33 am

You need to make a judgement call as to what your new boss is like.

Personally if I had any doubts I would NOT disclose. If you feel OK then - well OK!

If your gut feel tells you its the former (i.e. non-disclosure) then I would say simply how you like to work and try to come to accomodation with him about retaining these conditions as best as you can.

Ultimately, you have to make the call!

Dino_Poop wrote:
My bosses’ position was just eliminated so I now report to the VP of operations for my division. My old boss morphed the department and my position into one which requires allot of meetings and corroboration. Fortunately my performance in meetings was less than stellar so the invites quite coming. My boss had not even said good morning to me in the last three months, so life was good.
Now my boss has been fired and I am worried that the VP will start expecting me to act like an NT and do more than sit in my cubical hole and worship the silicon god. When he gets back from Atlanta he is going to meet with us individually to discuss our positions. Should I tell him that I am an aspie and that he will get performance out of me as long as I am left alone? I have reached the point in my career where if I wanted advance any more I would have to network and schmooze and all those other things that so many people seem to do naturally. Fortunately I am not ambitious, I just want to be left alone to run my reports and manage my databases.
I really do need advice on how to deal with my new boss. The other ones either ignored me or learned how to deal with me in way which got results, but this guy is third level management and is obviously driven and ambitious.