Lack of Confidence and Perfectionism?

Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Sifr
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Jan 2008, 12:12 pm

I wouldn't consider myself a perfectionist. I'm more self-destructive when it comes to poor performance, however. If it's anything below a B it is failure, and if it is a B it is failing. :(

If anyone is like me, then I shouldn't tell you how surprised people get when they ask your grades and you respond "I didn't do too good, I failed. I got a B."

2ukenkerl wrote:

You are right though! They made a self fulfilling prophecy! Ironically, artists, carpenters, and builders can ******NEVER****** acheive perfection! WHY????

1. They aren't perfect.
2. Materials and aestetics aren't perfect.
3. The WORLD isn't perfect!

SO, I guess they are afraid that if they tried to acheive perfection that they would FAIL! If they failed, they would PROVE that god was a failure! After all, if god was PERFECT and HONEST and JUST, he would make US perfect ALSO, RIGHT? And the materials would be perfect and so would the WORLD!

YEAH, SOME claim we couldn't be trusted, wars, etc... But THAT shows a lack of perfection!! !!

Actually, no. Why would He make you perfect, honest, and just? "There can be only one!"

I used to like that show.

Lurv
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Jan 2008, 2:24 pm

If I'm taking a test, and don't know the answer to a question, I don't want to do any of the other questions either, even if I know the answers.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2008, 2:43 pm

I hate it when I have to guess, which sucks when your brain is stalling and fumes are come out of you ears (not literally).

I'm a total perfectionist, not like a neat and tidy way but I'm very harsh with myself.

emoboxergeek
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Jan 2008, 5:48 pm

In response to "I wouldn't consider myself a perfectionist. I'm more self-destructive when it comes to poor performance, however. If it's anything below a B it is failure, and if it is a B it is failing. Sad"

I have always had slightly lower standards, anything below a C is a fail and a C is a fail. My old DT teacher drilled that into my head in year 10 and its stuck since

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

19 Jan 2008, 6:09 pm

emoboxergeek wrote:
In response to "I wouldn't consider myself a perfectionist. I'm more self-destructive when it comes to poor performance, however. If it's anything below a B it is failure, and if it is a B it is failing. Sad"

I have always had slightly lower standards, anything below a C is a fail and a C is a fail. My old DT teacher drilled that into my head in year 10 and its stuck since

Well...you are lucky that you have lower standards for yourself.
I remember on several occassions when I was at primary school, crying because I got 1 answer wrong in a test! Now THAT is perfectionism :roll:
This, is all thanks to my mother, who used to make me re-do assignments/homework if I literally only had 1 spelling mistake, 1 math error, 1 error for anything!

emoboxergeek
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Jan 2008, 6:27 pm

I think it's safe to say, we are a product of our mentors. I stopped taking my homework to my mom as she would pick at it piece by piece. I got an IQ of 165 on one test and she even made me run through the answers I got wrong on that!

ebec11
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2008, 7:47 pm

Sifr wrote:
I wouldn't consider myself a perfectionist. I'm more self-destructive when it comes to poor performance, however. If it's anything below a B it is failure, and if it is a B it is failing. :(

If anyone is like me, then I shouldn't tell you how surprised people get when they ask your grades and you respond "I didn't do too good, I failed. I got a B."

Same with me! If I get a 69%, I'll start sobbing uncontrollably (It's only happened once luckily)
This year I have been more obsessed with grades then usually. I have an 88% in History and a 94% in math, but barely made it though the semester because of all my panic attacks.

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2008, 7:53 pm

i remember crying because i got 6/10 on something only happened once. but i am hard on myself as well.

not a perfectionist really.

Sifr
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Jan 2008, 8:20 am

emoboxergeek wrote:

Oh, yeah, I mean I have lowered my standards and I won't cry about it if I fail an exam (it happened twice this semester I believe). I just have a very hard time accepting it.

Like I stated, I'm not a perfectionist. I do have a OCD, however. My handwriting is very bad, to the point where I can't even read it. I go through paper after paper because I just don't like the way I wrote a certain word or letter.

kclark
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Jan 2008, 12:34 pm

I have been trying to work out my perfectionist mentality.
I would get upset at missing a point on a test where others were getting 70%s.
Makes me feel really weird at being upset for barely getting an A when I hear someone else happy to have gotten a C.

This last semester I actually tried to get a B in a class by not finishing the last paper.
I felt pretty upset at first, but quickly came to accept it and even being pleased with getting a B. I felt like I had made some serious progress.
Then I got my grades for the semester and wound up getting an A in the class anyway.
How is this for a mind trip. I got a bit upset that I had gotten an A instead of the B that I was trying to get.
Times like this make me stop and think, wtf???
I guess the GPA appreciated the boost.