Page 1 of 6 [ 95 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

BloodRedFox
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

18 Jan 2008, 7:43 pm

I have this friend of mine who I've know for about a year now. Recently I brought up Aspergers in a conversation we were having but he cut me off saying "Hey lets not talk about that. No offense but I honestly don't believe in Aspergers." I wanted to ask why he, for some reason, doesn't "believe in" Aspergers despite there being proof of it being a real thing, but I thought it was better just to not bother bringing it up after he told me not to. Now my friend doesn't believe in other things too, like God (he's an Atheist, and while I may be a Christian I have no problem with that), and I'll admit that I can see why he wouldn't believe in the other stuff, but why would he not believe in something with scientific facts behind it, especially something like Aspergers?

Has anyone else ever run into people, or heard of people, who just "don't believe in" Aspergers?

Capriccio
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Jan 2008, 7:47 pm

I have a friend who I think has a little bit of a hard time understanding it, but that's about it.

Nikky91
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Jan 2008, 7:53 pm

I honestly don't get how people can think like that. There are some people who I know that think AS is just an excuse for not wanting to be around people. I can maybe see why they would be like that if AS were a new thing, but there is a lot of scientific proof behind it.

Remnant
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2008, 8:00 pm

I worry that they might be making a "syndrome" out of the natural consequences of a higher intelligence. It is not wrong to be somewhat antisocial. Being "social" causes problems, as does being dumber than a mud fence.

SapphoWoman
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Jan 2008, 8:08 pm

Remnant wrote:
I worry that they might be making a "syndrome" out of the natural consequences of a higher intelligence.

I get what you're saying. I don't like people to make it into a "syndrome" or "disease", but it is definitely REAL and a scientific difference in our brains. So... yeah, it bothers me when people don't "believe" in it.

But remember... people didn't believe the world was round at first....!

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2008, 8:10 pm

My uncle who is a childhood psychologist doesn't believe in Asperger's; it's all autism to him.

He's probably right.

SapphoWoman
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Jan 2008, 8:20 pm

Danielismyname wrote:
My uncle who is a childhood psychologist doesn't believe in Asperger's; it's all autism to him.

He's probably right.

I usually just say 'autism'. But I think what this person is saying is that the friend doesn't believe that autism is a spectrum, or maybe he doesn't even believe in autism.

EvilKimEvil
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2008, 8:24 pm

That type of response is one of the reasons I don't tell people I have AS. I got sick of dealing with it when I would try to explain my depression to people. I'd say something like, "I was dealing with some severe depression for a couple of months, so I had to take a leave of absence from school," and get this response, "Oh, everyone gets depressed. You don't have to take time off from school just because you're feeling unhappy! You know if you were more in touch with your spirituality, you'd be better-equipped to deal with these moods." And then they'd proceed to lecture me.

There are lots of people who think that no psychological or neurological disorders exist, or that we are in complete control of our health, both physical and mental. There are people who think that autism is caused by watching too much television, or not being breast fed. (I have heard individuals make these claims.) I don't want to be forced to choose between arguing and faking agreement so I just don't mention it.

SapphoWoman
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Jan 2008, 8:30 pm

EvilKimEvil wrote:
There are lots of people who think that no psychological or neurological disorders exist, or that we are in complete control of our health, both physical and mental. There are people who think that autism is caused by watching too much television, or not being breast fed. (I have heard individuals make these claims.) I don't want to be forced to choose between arguing and faking agreement so I just don't mention it.

Good point. :cry:

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2008, 8:53 pm

I had this issue for years and years with ADD...

Liverbird
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

18 Jan 2008, 8:56 pm

My ex doesn't believe in AS. Especially doesn't believe that my kid has it. He says that I made it all up because I have a sick need for him to have something wrong with him. Idiot. Stupid. Ass. Bastard.

SapphoWoman
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Jan 2008, 8:59 pm

Liverbird wrote:
He says that I made it all up because I have a sick need for him to have something wrong with him.

And attitudes like that make us feel even worse; even more misunderstood. :(

egodeus59
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Jan 2008, 9:13 pm

I stopped telling people I had AS when i realized community college students consider urban dictionary a good source of reliable information, making life hell because these as*holes thought I was just trying to be different or special.

Liverbird
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

18 Jan 2008, 9:17 pm

SapphoWoman wrote:
Liverbird wrote:
He says that I made it all up because I have a sick need for him to have something wrong with him.

And attitudes like that make us feel even worse; even more misunderstood. :(

Exactly. And because it took until he was 15 before he got an official diagnosis and I was 38 before I got mine, it points to my insanity even more. I hate people who don't understand things. I hate people who are stupid. Especially about things that they don't understand and don't even try to understand.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2008, 9:36 pm

Believe it or not, there are people out there who think that Asperger's is a made up disease that kids like to label themselves with to be "cool", and that doctors diagnose just to diagnose (kind of like the ADD fad in the 90s). :?

Liverbird
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

18 Jan 2008, 9:40 pm

Yeah. I feel really cool. My son is just so impressed with being different. It makes puberty so much fun. What a crock of crap.

I really felt the need to be different and it made me extemely cool, too. Stupid. Ass. Bastard.