Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2008, 2:30 am

Legato wrote:
Actually steve, there's not one shred of proof or even logic for your argument, which infers that jesus was god.

If we assume Christianity then yes, there is. John 10:30 Jesus states "I and the Father are one". So, if Jesus is one with God then he must be God. Now, if we do not assume Christianity, then well, there is not significant enough proof to claim that God must necessarily exist, much less an incarnation.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2008, 2:36 am

Legato wrote:
By knowing from a personal standpoint what it is to be a weak, limited being with such limited power as a human.
I don't see the paradox. Omniscience means all knowing, if he knows all, then he knows this better than we do.
Quote:
It's an interesting paradox, an a bit hard to explain in words for me.

I hardly see it as a paradox and see nothing paradoxical about it.

KOOPA wrote:
That still leaves a very big problem. Who created this God?

Not really, God is usually defined as existing through all of time, this leads to interesting questions on the metaphysics of time, but the metaphysics of time is a question with all conceptions of reality.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

14 Feb 2008, 12:54 pm

does knowelege have a biggining and end? im shure it doesnt as theres always something to probably learn that you dont know about. i cant believe people would be so dumb to think otherwise, now the question, does god have it? i dont know and im not going to try to guess about what he knows or doesnt know :P :wink:

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2008, 1:12 pm

richardbenson wrote:
does knowelege have a biggining and end?

Well, we can argue that reality has a finite amount of units, (which can be quarks or whatever the smallest components may well be). If there are a finite number of units, there must be a finite number of interconnections between units, which means that from a materialist standpoint, knowledge about the universe can have an end if we understand all of the units. We cannot necessarily reach this end using tools we know of though. I suppose I might be assuming less than infinite variables about each unit, no matter what it is, that need to be known, but we have not seen infinite complexity yet.
Quote:
im shure it doesnt as theres always something to probably learn that you dont know about.

Of course, human beings have finite amounts of time in existence, and new information is generated faster than even our greatest computers could calculate it. Our limitations mean that additional information will always exist, the issue then comes down to desirability of information. As well, some pieces of information prevent us from knowing other pieces concurrently. Therefore, it is quite logical that it is impossible for human beings to not be able to find all information, the issue falls down to whether or not we can get the information that seems useful.

Angelus-Mortis
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Feb 2008, 2:36 pm

Legato wrote:
Ok, many Christians take their scriptures very literally. In their scriptures, it tells of an omnipresent (is everywhere), omnipotent (all-powerful), and omnibenevolent (morally perfect) God. However it does not mention of his intellect. For purposes of this thought, I will temporarily make the positive assertion that this God exists. I cannot help but wonder, if a superpowerful being like God has forgotten what it is like to be in such a weak, corruptible, small body with such a narrow perspective of the world. As such, we cannot trust that all of his commands to us be appropriate for our experience on the Earth. Even if he does know what it's like to be in a human body with a limited human mind, wouldn't that knowledge of being accustomed to our weak state lessen his power?

The fact that he is omniscient means he must be aware of this though. If he isn't, then he's not omniscient. He's just a bigot who boasts about this useless kind of power.

Omnipotence, omnipresence and omniscience do not impress me.

Arbitraris id veneficium quod te ludificat. Arbitror id formam quod intellego.

Ignorationi est non medicina.