Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Berserker
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2008, 11:04 pm

What is with the lack of appreciation for traditional art? It's so much easier than digital art, and it's a lot more affordable. Plus, nearly all the famous art is traditional! All my art is traditional, because it's how I learnt to do art. I would never use Photoshop, or anything else like that. For my drawings, I mainly use a HB pencil, or a 4H. I used to use Crayola coloured pencils, but I've changed to Artwrite ones. Also, I only ever draw video game characters. I might draw something different soon.

Here's two of my best drawings.

http://darkmessengerdiablos.deviantart. ... e-70911099
http://darkmessengerdiablos.deviantart. ... i-74168433

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2008, 8:42 pm

hey, that VJ is nice, it shows how much you've been improving! :)

BTW I just added you :)

Berserker
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2008, 7:34 pm

One post? That's all?! Curse you digital artists to hell!

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2008, 11:12 pm

Berserker wrote:
One post? That's all?! Curse you digital artists to hell!

I do digital art... :(

Berserker
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2008, 11:31 pm

I despise digital art. It's all just a lack of talent... No offence IdahoRose. I was considering doing digital art for awhile, but then I discovered that Photoshop is around $1, 000 in Australia, which means I can't get it. That's the reason I stuck to drawing. I still can't do fan-art though.

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2008, 12:42 am

there are free alternatives, don't let the price tag stop you:

Pixia
Inkscape
GIMP
Artweaver

just to name a few

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2008, 1:10 am

I use GIMP. It's free, and has worked wonders for my art. To me, it's a lot more fun than using colored pencils and I never have to worry about running out of a color or having to sharpen a pencil.

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2008, 1:17 am

Hi Idaho! :D

Yeah, I love the ability to Ctrl-Z (I hated to do errors in traditional drawings), also, no need to clean and set-up everything (lots of time wasted on that).

TrueDave
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2008, 2:03 am

When I first had acess to photoshop in school I had to scan in a rough sketch first. I couldn't draw with a mouse and we didnt have a stylus.

Also This was in 1989 we didnt have color either.

I'd like to hook up with somebody who can digitally remove things from my puppet films, mainly the control rods.

Just drawing videogame characters is ok. I started out just drawing from my comic books.

How is Viewtiful Joe. It came out for my Game Cube and I wanted it but I played the demo in the store and iot was kinda weird.

Flismflop
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2008, 3:07 am

I like making digital art and I don’t particularly like playing video games. Well, I can understand why people play them, but I wouldn't recognize any current game characters, and I wouldn't use my time to play them. I've activiely kicked the video game habits I've had. I don't watch much TV, either.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2008, 12:48 pm

computerlove wrote:
Hi Idaho! :D

Yeah, I love the ability to Ctrl-Z (I hated to do errors in traditional drawings), also, no need to clean and set-up everything (lots of time wasted on that).

Hi there, buddy! I just wanted to say thank you for commenting my art on dA. You're really nice!

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2008, 5:00 pm

@Idaho: Hi girl, thanks for the comment!
*blushes* :D

@TrueDave: Interesting. Link to your work?

sweetsquirrel
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

25 Jan 2008, 6:06 pm

hey nice drawings! I have photoshop cs2, which I use from time to time as well as a tablet that I use to color in lineart I draw traditionally. but I have recently acquired a set of truly wonderful watercolor pencils that give me a new eye to traditional art. when I first started I colored everything myself, now with the watercolor pencils I actually like their affect better then what photoshop can do. I also color and shade extensively with regular ballpoint pens in a notebook I call my Imagination Recorder. lol. It took me around 2-3 years to figure out shading properly, but daily practice works wonders. and sure takes the boredom out of a boring chem class. lol. kudos for keeping the idea of traditional art alive in a rapidly expanding audience for digital art.

Berserker
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2008, 8:43 pm

I tried using the GIMP once, but got confused. Plus, I have no idea how to do line-art... I really want to do a nice picture of a dragon, but it'd take ages to draw scales, so I'd have to do it digitally.

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2008, 8:49 pm

Digital art can start as a hand-drawn picture.

On sabbatical...

Berserker
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2008, 9:12 pm

I should draw a dragon then...