If I became ill or physically disabled, there is no one

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

MusicMaker1
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Jan 2008, 10:14 pm

I just realized today.. that if I became very ill or physically disabled to the extent that I couldn't walk or talk care of myself, that there is no one to help me.

I have isolated myself.. the few people that I had considered "friends" weren't there for me after my car wreck.. I had a walker and had to drag myself around at home for months... no one would answer my calls...the only "family" in the area was two 1/2 sisters that only visited me once...

I realize now that if something really bad happened.. I would be completely alone....

I have hesitated to try and get new friends because it seems that people often make me feel worse about myself. I am often the butt of their jokes.... because of my aspie disability... Looking back on it, most of my "friends" would basically get ego trips out of my inadequacies and when other people would join us, my friend would make comments at my expense making the others laugh... this has happened alot in my life..

I think there is ONE person now who I know that seems to accept me and still care without making fun of me.. .but I've only been around her, not with a group of people -- hopefully she wouldn't make fun of me then... Maybe she would help me to a certain extent... Some people will help once... like bring groceries once... I found that out... They might drive you to the doctor once... like I got ONE favor out of the "Friends" that I had before when I had the car wreck, but that was pretty much it..... I was on my own for months...

I wonder what happens to people on the spectrum as they get older, do we end up being institutionalized? i don't have any family any more...

beentheredonethat
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2008, 11:53 pm

Most states have a department of social services. You're an aspie. You qualify to talk to them. They have an obligation to make you aware of the options you have.

No. Not all older Aspies have to go to an institution.

Relax. Check with your state. If you don't live in the United States, and your country has National Health, check with them.

all is not bleak.

Good luck.
Btdt

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2008, 2:08 am

MusicMaker, I'm in the same situation. I tried for years to make the kind of friendships that will help each other in bad times, but wasn't successful. I have no friends and no family or relatives to turn to. I'm in my mid-forties.

I think that nowadays money has replaced relationships - most people rely on money as help rather than on family and friends (who are quite indifferent, busy as they are chasing money for their own security themselves).

Lately, I've become less anxious/horrified by my situation. I take pills against anxiety and I come to WP, where there are a few others who are totally alone and getting by.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2008, 11:59 am

Institutions [if meaning traditional institutions for developmental dis/LD] are probably the last place the majority of aspies would be given a place at [and in some countries,like England they're shutting them all down now anyway],but,social services can persuade people into going into group/residential/rest homes if are in need of 24hr support,because not all will fund for individual 24hr support in own home.

There are other forms of housing beside residential types though,sheltered housing-which are individual units, and have emergency cords everywhere to get a warden to come up,support that comes into own home.

It sounds like social services help could be used now-apply for a needs assessment [not sure how it differs in each country] if they say are able to use their services,one of the possibilities could be having support staff to accompany out to places like shopping or doctors some time each week.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!