Page 4 of 4 [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

whitedragon
Raven
Raven

23 Jan 2008, 8:51 am

Brittany2907 wrote:
. . . (omitted) . . . Also, I compensated for my lack of ability to connect with humans by having an extraodinary connection with animals. They seem to be drawn to me...animals that are afriad of humans, aren't afraid of me. It's weird...but fantastic at the same time.

I don't know whether it's compensation but I love aminals and they love me. They can't resist my charm, haha. :wink: Most of my pets live long, and they seem happy to be with me.

'Childlike happiness' I thought it was just me but it's another trait then. I read somewhere that grown-ups lose the ability to feel intense happiness toddlers can feel, and I've been wondering, "but I feel that?"

It's a joy to solve a puzzle or learn new things or learn about my own mistakes ('ooh it's a wiser me') or see patterns in seeming chaos.

I love this thread also thank you everyone. I danced my way through the video clip thanks jaydog.

Liverbird
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

23 Jan 2008, 9:02 am

I know that other AS people don't look at this as a positive. But I do. I tend to take things pretty literally most of the time. So, it gets me into some pretty funny situations.

Yesterday, we got an employee engagement survey to see if we were feeling engaged with our jobs. So, one question was "Have you had the opportunity to learn and grow during your employment?" I wrote, "Yes, I've put on 15 pounds since I started working here." Another question was, "Please write a few lines about your feelings on employee engagement", I wrote, "I don't care if they get married or not." This led to my supervisor sitting me down and trying to explain to me that this is not what the questionaire meant. So, she then went to our big supervisor and asked should she sit down with me and go over the questions one by one because I so didn't seem to understand.

Our big supervisor's reply was, "So, your complaint is that my autistic staff member took things literally?" He explained that was part of the diagnosis.

My supervisor didn't get it.

This is truly funny. I'm greatly amused.

littlebopeep
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

23 Jan 2008, 12:11 pm

I love this thread, too.

And I love that video, Jaydog. Thank you!

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2008, 2:37 pm

Liverbird wrote:
I know that other AS people don't look at this as a positive. But I do. I tend to take things pretty literally most of the time. So, it gets me into some pretty funny situations.

Yesterday, we got an employee engagement survey to see if we were feeling engaged with our jobs. So, one question was "Have you had the opportunity to learn and grow during your employment?" I wrote, "Yes, I've put on 15 pounds since I started working here." Another question was, "Please write a few lines about your feelings on employee engagement", I wrote, "I don't care if they get married or not." This led to my supervisor sitting me down and trying to explain to me that this is not what the questionaire meant. So, she then went to our big supervisor and asked should she sit down with me and go over the questions one by one because I so didn't seem to understand.

Our big supervisor's reply was, "So, your complaint is that my autistic staff member took things literally?" He explained that was part of the diagnosis.

WOW, were you serious? I mean I will say the same sort of things sometimes, but it is more like a joke. I usually can't say anything else. BTW did you know that they at least USED to combine bottles of condiments to make them appear fresher while lowering the costs? The OFFICIAL term used? MARRYING! So you have people MARRYING the ketchup! I am NOT making that up! Marrying DOES mean to join:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=%2 ... %2Bketchup

Still, the supervisor was basically saying SHE couldn't do her job! FUNNY!! !

phillymama129
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Jan 2008, 3:00 pm

My son has autism and I love the fact that he moves to the beat of his own drum. He has a who gives a damn attitude and I love the pure innocence in him. I am still amazed and at times "jealous" that he has an amazing memory. The boy knows the names of every major league baseball and football player.

AspieDave
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2008, 11:12 pm

:wall:

d'oh!! "What's positive about Asperger's"

The anode.

lastcrazyhorn
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2008, 5:01 am

As they do in the book, A Wrinkle in Time, I'm going to quote some other people here:

http://www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/71 ... bility.htm
http://www.thegraycenter.org/sectionsdetails.cfm?id=38
http://griffinblaise.blogspot.com/2006/ ... istic.html

BATMAN: I'll do everything I can to rehabilitate you.
CATWOMAN: Marry me.
BATMAN: Everything except that.

http://lastcrazyhorn.wordpress.com - "Odd One Out: Reality with a refreshing slice of aspie"

lastcrazyhorn
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2008, 5:03 am

Plus, I like the fact that I can cognate in ways that other people only dream about. And I know what it's like to treat people equally not based on things like skin color or sexual orientation.

BATMAN: I'll do everything I can to rehabilitate you.
CATWOMAN: Marry me.
BATMAN: Everything except that.

http://lastcrazyhorn.wordpress.com - "Odd One Out: Reality with a refreshing slice of aspie"

riverotter
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2008, 11:02 am

Thanks for the links once again, lastcrazyhorn!
Here is a great quote from the first one you list:
"It is not clear why the child with AS/HFA is seen as doing something less valuable than the other children or why their behaviour should be seen as an index of impairment".
(from Is Asperger’s syndrome/High-Functioning Autism necessarily a disability?, Simon Baron-Cohen)

ebec11
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2008, 11:36 am

Age1600 wrote:
What i got out of autism thats positive, is a lot of mental strength. I had to fight to walk, to talk, to eat right, to dress myself, to do everything most nts take for granted, and i think i'm a stronger person due to it, and I never ever give up. I personally think autism turned me into a fighter.

Everybody else pretty much mentioned everything else haha 8) ...

I definitely had many of those same issues, and I agree that they made me a stronger person because of it. Socially I can look like an NT in public due to how high functioning I am, but it takes 10x the energy that it does for a NT.

Myboys
Butterfly
Butterfly

24 Jan 2008, 4:56 pm

JWRed wrote:
What is more important in this world than happiness?

How does anything mentioned in this thread lead to happiness?

My son is the happiest person you'd ever meet. Think about it - when you aren't bogged down by endless concerns about what so-and-so thinks about you or how you need to act to make so-and-so like you, you're likely to be happier than the next guy. I realize some aspies do spend too much time thinking about this, but my kid definitely doesn't, and I'm glad for him. My other son, NT, is much more concerned about these things, and I can already tell I'm going to have to help him through a lot more emotional struggles because of it. My point is, there are things about being autistic that can set you up to be happier than a typical NT.

Feral-sapien
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

24 Jan 2008, 5:25 pm

2ukenkerl wrote:
Liverbird wrote:

WOW, were you serious? I mean I will say the same sort of things sometimes, but it is more like a joke. I usually can't say anything else. BTW did you know that they at least USED to combine bottles of condiments to make them appear fresher while lowering the costs? The OFFICIAL term used? MARRYING! So you have people MARRYING the ketchup! I am NOT making that up! Marrying DOES mean to join:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=%2 ... %2Bketchup

Still, the supervisor was basically saying SHE couldn't do her job! FUNNY!! !

Yep..They also call it marrying when it is done with liquor bottles as well...Which is actually illegal where i am.(,and although i've never heard it talked about..I always supposed it was so they couldn't replace good liquor with the cheap stuff.)