Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

22 Jan 2008, 4:11 pm

I've been curious. Does your medical history show up or diagnoses when they put in your social security number when they are looking at applications. I know you always have to put in your social security number when you apply for jobs. I know they use it so they can view your history like run a background check and it made me wonder if your medical history shows up too like you have diabetis, autism, you have been hospitalized etc.

I can remember when I first was seeing a doctor for my pills here in Portland, I had to give them my social security number when I was checking in and when they put it in the computer, they already saw I was up on the hill at the children's hospital when I was being tested for AS. I assumed when they put in my social security number, my name showed up and along with my medical records and the list of diagnoses I've had. I'm sure my official DX is in there too. Maybe they show up in hospitals only, who knows but it still made me wonder if your medical history shows up at any place you apply at when they run your social security number.

I have also heard having a AS DX can keep insurence companies from approving you so I assume your medical history shows up in their computer too when they run your social security number or how else would they know you have it. They can't be psychic.

iceb
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2008, 4:50 pm

It most certainly should not, Medical records are personal information and accessed only by doctors in confidence.

sarahstilettos
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2008, 5:26 pm

I'm UK based, so it may not be the same, but upon being diagnosed I was promised that the information would only be disclosed to non-medical proffessionals after they had contacted me and checked it was OK.

22 Jan 2008, 7:19 pm

So everything else shows up eg. criminal history, registered as a sex offender if you are. So how does the work know you're under the disability act then if they don't know your disability. Do you have to tell them or what?

joku_muko
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2008, 12:21 am

I always thought medical was coveted by patient/doctor. I sure as hell hope so since I'm applying for the state and I have a few involuntary holds.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2008, 7:34 am

I'd go absolutely ballistic if I found out that anyone had access to my medical records without my knowledge. Your medical records are strictly confidential.

sarahstilettos
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2008, 11:38 am

Quote:
Do you have to tell them or what?

I wrote it down on my medical form for my current job. The medical form bit usually comes after you've actually been offered the job. Sometimes employers try to include it as part of an application form but you can dodge that simply by giving them a CV instead. Someone from H/O will probably call you up and ask you about it, and you tell them about how well you are managing your symptoms these days and that it isn't really a problem. Ta da!

cowlypso
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Jan 2008, 2:09 pm

Your medical records can only be released with your permission. They do not get automatically released during a background check. If you need disability accommodations from your employer under ADA, then you need to request those accommodations. Otherwise, your employer has no way to know that you are disabled and/or need accommodations.