Post a random truth about your family besides parents.

Page 22 of 26 [ 410 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2021, 7:00 pm

Five women on my mother's side were born on the fifth day of Christmas.

It jumps a generation but is always granddaughter - grandmother.

(My daughter - her maternal grandmother - her maternal grandmother - and twice more)

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2021, 7:02 pm

Strange coincidence:-

My mother has 2 sisters and 2 brothers, neither of her brothers had any daughters only sons, and her and her 2 sisters had sons but also daughters (one daughter each).
And on my dad's side, my dad has 2 sisters and one brother. Both my dad and his brother's first borns are boys; both the sisters' first borns are girls.
And my grandmother (my mum's mum) had 2 sisters and 2 brothers, and both the brothers had sons only, and the 2 sisters had daughters only. And my grandmother had 2 sons and 3 daughters, just like her mother did.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2021, 7:37 pm

I've never had any aunts, uncles, or first cousins. I don't believe I've had second cousins, either.

My third cousin passed away at 89 about 5 years ago.

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2021, 8:16 pm

When my grandad was alive, he had a condition where he couldn't feel pain. He would often ask others to describe what pain feels like, which others would struggle to do.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2021, 8:23 pm

My brother lit one arm on fire when the other one was in a cast.

My daughter is petrified of poodles, tornadoes, and people in mascot costumes.

She used to be afraid of rain.

My great grandmother Emma forbade people of ever eating butter, or using cutlery during storms.

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2021, 8:51 pm

One of my cousins was a finalist in the 'Miss Scotland' beauty contest in the mid-1970s. I have a faint memory of seeing her being interviewed on TV. She spoke in a fake Scottish accent (she was English, from the Manchester area).

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2021, 12:20 am

My great aunt was one of the first female biochemistry Professors in my country. I wish i had the chance to meet her.

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2021, 8:51 am

Lost_dragon wrote:
When my grandad was alive, he had a condition where he couldn't feel pain. He would often ask others to describe what pain feels like, which others would struggle to do.

I've heard of that. It's very rare. Sounds like it could be a useful condition, certain advantages to it. Of course you would have to be alert, you could be bleeding to death, and not notice.

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)

Flown
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2021, 2:31 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:

My great grandmother Emma forbade people of ever eating butter, or using cutlery during storms.

My grandmother put entire sticks of butter in almost every meal. Off the top of my head, I remember her using it for a small pot of macaroni & cheese. She would additionally add pimento cheese dip and mayonnaise to it.

For those who aren't from the Southeastern US.

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2021, 3:07 pm

My paternal grandfather's family were of Irish Catholic origin. Although he was born in England and lived there all his life, he regarded himself as an Irish Republican, and would often refer to 'the Cause'.

He was apparently a member of a cell of the IRA (Irish Republican Army), and seems to have been involved in a bombing campaign on the British mainland in 1939-40. He was lucky in a sense - a group of IRA men who were responsible for a bombing in Coventry in August 1939 were caught and sentenced to death.

When researching this, I was interested to discover that IRA ideology in the late 1930s was of what is nowadays known as the 'far right' variety, and involved a fair amount of admiration for Hitler's Germany. Some IRA men in Ireland were imprisoned for working on behalf of Germany after the outbreak of war.

Got to say that I have no recollections of seeing my grandfather goosestepping around the house in the 1960s, lol.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2021, 3:26 pm

One of my great grandmother's was apparently Amish (or something similar to that).

My parents also had me relatively late compared to when my aunt's and uncles had kids, so all of my cousins are much older than me and have their own kids, some of which are the same age as me.

My oldest sibling is also 20 years older than me.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2021, 3:34 am

My oldest brother was a gunner in the Vietnam War.

My sister was a missionary in Vietnam during the war.

Flown
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2021, 5:55 am

I have not been in contact with my stepbrother in over 20 years.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2021, 9:57 am

My uncle was a lifeboat man and would occasionally pop up on a kids TV show called Blue Peter in the 80s when they'd do an appeal to raise money for them.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2021, 9:58 am

We have an ancestral home in Denmark.

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2021, 7:28 pm

My Grandma (on my mother's side) liked to cook when she was stressed. She died when I was a young child, but we still have a series of cook books that she owned. The books are filled with annotations from her, giving her thoughts on particular recipes. I would find it amusing to read them, she liked to make remarks such as 'No good, unless you hate your guests and want them to leave'. :lol: