Post a random truth about your family besides parents.

Page 23 of 26 [ 410 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2021, 11:21 pm

My cousin and i have two days between our birthdays, but she is one year older since she was born on 30 December

Flown
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2021, 5:02 am

I have several neurodiverse cousins (I suspect at least one is autistic).

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2022, 3:07 am

I have/had several relatives who used different names than the ones they were given by their parents. For example:

My distant cousin Anna is known by everybody in the family as cousin Hanna (those names are very similar, yet those are completely different names).

Anna's deceased husband was named Emil, yet I always thought him to be named Mirosław for everybody called him Mirek (short for Mirosław).

Anna's brother has a daughter whose name is Maria, yet she is called Maja by everybody.

My great aunt Irena (who is called just aunt Jolenka - and no, there is no such a name as Jolenka in Polish, it's just her nickname) has a son whose name is Mariusz, yet I was already an adult when I found out his real first name is actually Jarosław.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2022, 10:28 am

My grandmother (on my Mom's side) divorced my grandfather after her sister seduced him. Her brother married a Danish girl from Bay Ridge, the historically Scandinavian Brooklyn neighborhood. She had the stereotypical Brooklyn "Toidy-Toid Street" accent often heard in old WWII films about Americans in combat.

That grandmother had ancestors who owned slaves. My mother had a transcript of an ancestor's will in which he freed his slaves. I should try to find it some day.

Before he developed severe dementia, I once asked my father whether it had ever occurred to him that he and his older brother might not have had the same father. His response to that was "that would explain a lot".

EDIT that last observation was intended to be about my grandparents (whoever they were) in case somebody thinks it violates the rules of this thread.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2022, 10:38 am

One of my great-grandfathers was born in 1838. He was born in the Western Hemisphere but not in either the US or Canada, however he has descendants in both the US and Canada (most likely more in Canada than the US). He was of 100% European ancestry, technically Whiter than I am. That's all the information I'll give out.

I'll bet there are quite a few people on this site with great-grandparents who are still alive.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2022, 2:14 pm

The family dog is 18.

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2022, 2:27 pm

The owner of the weirdest name in my family ever was my distant relative, whose name was Bonawentura :D Believe me, Bonawentura IS a very weird Polish name (of Italian origin, though). He lived in the 19th century and died together with his wife, when they ate a soup made of poisonous mushrooms, prepared by his wife, whose knowledge of mushrooms was certainly not as good as she thought. :?

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2022, 2:59 pm

AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
The family dog is 18.

You should post a photo.

munstead
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2022, 3:05 pm

My dog is blind in his right eye, and is too scared to use the dog flap at home.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2022, 5:35 pm

MaxE wrote:
AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
The family dog is 18.

You should post a photo.

I can try, but my mom will throw a fit! :x

My mom has anger issues that she is denial of.

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2022, 7:54 am

I have three half sisters and two or three half brothers whom i never saw.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2022, 2:22 pm

A couple of weeks ago I got my brother some Bridge Mixture, which our mom said he likes. But when I gave it to him he claimed it was OLD PEOPLE CANDY!!

Well he's around 50 so he is kind of old. :)

How can Bridge Mixture be an old people candy? It's a mix of chewy and crunchy things covered in milk and dark chocolate. It's goood, no matter what your age. I remember buying and snacking on it at the mall as a teenager. Maybe next time I'll give my brother some ancient stale hard candy covered in lint. Now that is old people candy. :twisted:

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2022, 3:31 pm

My grandfather shared his first and last name with some Polish actor, born in 1902 (my grandpa was born in turn in 1916).

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2022, 5:03 am

My mom is turning 68 today :D My cousin in turn, turned 23 yesterday.

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2022, 8:35 am

My first cousin and his adult son have their namedays on the same day :D It was a couple of days ago.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2022, 2:25 pm

My birthday and my NT sister's birthday are within days of each other.

Hers is May 27th with mine on June 1st.