Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

whatamess
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2008, 10:48 pm

Wow! That's great...Amazing how so many issues can be avoided when you try to understand...

Just a little of how "different" we think...I'll ask my husband to get me a "little bit of coke" sometimes...he always comes back with a FULL glass of coke for me...I tell him, "is this a little bit?" He answers..."well, to me a little bit is just means get me some, it's not really meant to be taken literally"...hmmm...So, last night he asked me, "can you get me a little bit of water?" Without any thought I gave him "a little bit of water, ie. about a 1/3 of a glass"...to which he just started laughing and said "are we running out of water or something?" Of course, then it hit me...and I replied with, "no, that's a little bit to me..."

Anyway, we've been together 9 years already and just NOW, after me being on this site and talking to him about the differences, are we "getting it" ...so, there's hope...Keep up the great work! I can assure you that your son will appreciate it more than you could ever imagine.

lovebat
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Feb 2008, 7:52 am

Wow, I have AS and I acted (well I suppose I still do to a lesser extent) just like your kids when I was younger, including those specific arguments (finish the food, come downstairs), and until I just heard you comment on how ridiculous those demands were, I thought for sure it was just my mom who was the one acting irrationally. Whoops, I think I owe my mom a hug and an apology.

One thing I still don't understand though, is why it's so important to finish ALL the food on your plate. Whether you eat it or not, it still just goes to waste in the end. :shrug:

ster
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2008, 12:41 pm

coming from a poor family, we never had to be encourage too much to finish all the food on our plate.....we were hungry.............ate it whether it tasted very good or not......

for my own kids, i've tried to concentrate on getting them to recognize when they're full, eating the proper portions of food, and eating enough fruits and veggies....i never make my kids eat something they don't like. i will, however, ask them to try a taste of new foods.