Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

pixie-bell
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Jan 2008, 12:55 pm

Just wondering if anyone else has visual images pop into their head when listening to someone speak or upon hearing certain sounds, e.g. I can be sitting with a cup of tea, hear a sound and scenes from Black Beauty appear in my mind.

However, when it comes to mentally rotating images in my mind, I can't.

Anyone else have this problem? If so, do you know of things which can improve it?

Liverbird
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

23 Jan 2008, 12:57 pm

I think in pictures but I don't really have trouble swapping out parts of one image with another and melding them back together. I have a catalog of very funny images that I keep in my head to keep me amused.

There's the blow sunshine up someone's ass machine.
There's the monkey f*****g a grape image...

You get the idea.

mel01
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Jan 2008, 1:58 pm

i remember in pictures and think by hearing my own voice inside my head

Azharia
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Jan 2008, 4:01 pm

I can rotate images in my head and look at them from all angles if that is what you mean?

gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2008, 4:02 pm

I remember in pictures and will often start laughing or smiling like a demon when I walk down the street because funny things bob back into my head.

Averick
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2008, 7:21 pm

I'm rather good at putting images in my head and manipulating them.
People think I'm great at moving furniture.

dawndeleon
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2008, 8:09 pm

Ohhh yeah. I get mental pictures all the time. I will sometimes crack myself up thinking about things up in my mind.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2008, 9:23 pm

I do the same thing; I rotate objects on all 6 degrees of freedom. Unfortunately, don't ask me to pick up the other end of something so we can carry it; I tend to go through about 10 permutations of where and how to carry it...;)

I was in a spatial relationship for a few years once, but we broke up..;)

EvilKimEvil
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2008, 9:35 pm

I'm good at imagining things visually and rotating objects in my head. However, I don't replicate this skill very well on tests of visual-spatial ability. How could that be?

Also, when I hear music, it is accompanied by 3-D images of different colors, shapes, and textures representing various aspects of the music. It's like a synesthetic version of musical notation.

AV-geek
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2008, 10:37 pm

I am an extremely visual thinker. If someone is speaking to me, I am basically constructing a visual picture of what that person is talking about as they are saying it. For example, if someone says to me "I went to the store this morning, but on the way there, my car broke down in the middle of highway 1. I called my husband on the cell phone and he came and got it working for me" Okay, I am now visioning this person getting into a car and driving up highway 1. Since I know what highway 1 looks like and what her car looks like, I am visioning what her car looks like going up the road, or even what she is seeing being behind the wheel of the car. When she mentions the car broke down, I am seeing her stopped in the middle of the road, hood up on the car and smoke pouring out. She's standing there talking to her husband on the cell phone as cars go wizzing by in the other lanes. Now, I don't know what her husband looks like, or what he drives, so I'm picturing a random man pulling up behind her, getting out a toolbox and then messing around under the hood of her car.

The interesting thing here is that I will sometimes ask "odd" questions that complete the picture for me, but are not necessarily pertinent to the situation. For example, I may ask her where she broke down on highway 1, or what the weather was like. but a more unusual question would be what her husband was driving when he came, or because he was able to come during the day, what type of job he has. Although these odd questions probably are totally off from the point she is trying to convey, they complete the picture I am "drawing" in my mind.

Of course, these odd questions may make typical NT a bit miffed because they seem to be insignificant to the context and point of the story. She may be trying to convey how great her husband is for fixing her car for her, or she may be simply trying to talk about how stressed her day was. Unfortunately, these points don't quite make it to me till several minutes after the conversation is over with, and I have totally puzzled her with the odd questions!

Heron
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

24 Jan 2008, 2:15 am

I have come to the conclusion that I think visually. Even social situations requiring problem solving (I don't score too well on emotional intelligence) appear as 'plays', it works for me, just. The big problem is the conversion to verbal communication, virtually no relationship (pictures and a thousand words stuff). Subsequently I don't say much (he's quiet isn't he). Also I have a problem writing (dyslexic tendencies) and I have a big problem finding letters on a keyboard. I once spent five minutes looking for the Q, I scanned over and over again but must have missed the corners in desperation (it,s a QWERTY keyboard) :oops: . Communication on the whole is a big problem, I have difficulty expressing myself, also I'm a perfectionist (I've got a Concise Oxford Dictionary in the top left of my screen, no guarantees).